TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tracking FSD Feature Complete

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Wiki, May 26, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Right. They need a generic solution for unmarked roads - by that I mean with no center line. When there are side lines marking shoulders but no center lane, like a lot of residential streets near me, the car just drives in the middle.

2. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

I think it is a hard problem to stop if there is a stopped car in front that suddenly comes into view (like when the car infront of you changes lane). I think that is what the TACC is referring to. AP needs to swerve to avoid the stopped car.

In general I think they need to implement the 3D world they showed in the autonomy presentation to figure out the stopped car. Now that they know hackers will get to any hidden code in production, I'm afraid hey are going to not merge the code in to production branch even if ready, if they don't want that feature out. So, we'll have to wait to see what they actually have.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If possible. It needs to be aware of what's around because just swerving might have bad consequences.

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

This.
    IMHO, the car really needs to build a model of the world around it that includes identifying objects and tagging them with characteristics, capabilities and likely behavior. In the above scenario, if the car suddenly sees a stopped car, it needs to be aware of what's happening around it, for example, another car coming up rapidly in the next lane over.

5. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Oh yes. BTW, Tesla already apparently swerves if someone cuts in and is about to hit you. Just saying they need to do the same thing.

6. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

It does that with AP1 and I don't think its unique to Tesla - probably a mobileye feature - if the parking sensors detect something entering your space it moves the car but not by much - although like all thesed things there is a difference from having a feature and the feature being reliable

Side Collision Avoidance - disappointing?

7. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

#107 EVNow, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    I've updated the first post with the feature set that Tesla lists on the website officially as being part of FSD. The corresponding feature numbers are noted in brackets).

As of 7/12/19 this is what Tesla website lists as part of FSD.

Autopilot Included
    • Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane. (2.1, 2.3)
    Full Self-Driving Capability
    • Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars. (9)
    • Auto Lane Change: automatic lane changes while driving on the highway. (3)
    • Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces. (10.1, 10.2)
    • Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really. (1)
    Coming later this year:
    • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs. (5, 4.1)
    • Automatic driving on city streets. (2, 3, 6, 7) <-- This is the ambiguous one, which could mean just a few basic features or full set of features.

8. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

I don't expect this to be any different than all other EAP/FSD features. Tesla will insist on driver paying attention and keeping hands on the wheel. Personally I use EAP/FSD carefully monitoring to make sure its doing what its supposed to be doing and intervene if it doesn't.

For eg., once stop sign recognition is live, you expect the car to start slowing down when it sees stop sign. I expect them to visualize the stop sign as well. If it doesn't slow down, I'll intervene. Same for red traffic signals. Turns will probably be indicated before the turn happens and you expect the car to slow down as well - so we can monitor and if the turn doesn't happen, can intervene.

9. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

Good point - one needs to know that the car sees the sign or light well in advance of taking action. Just like it is reassuring to see, on your screen, the cars that AP sees.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I hope it uses mostly regeneration the way a human would rather than mostly friction brakes the way current AP is said to do.

11. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Good point.

12. tmoz

tmoz S85D, Prius PiP

I suspected it did that but wasn't 100% sure, so I nearly always take it off AP (first gen) when coming to a stopped set of cars.
    Perhaps AP1 can't see the cars far enough in advance to smoothly use regen in time.

13. powertoold

powertoold Member

Good progress here:

• Like x 1
  14. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

Yes - but its not even clear under what condition this happened !

But I'm fairly sure they have figured out how to make turns - like we saw in the demo.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.