Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking left of center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I use Auto-Steer, the car frequently tracks left of center. I normally drive right of center if I am on a 2-lane highway (one lane each way) (unless I'm riding a motorcycle).

This makes me nervous and It forces the oncoming traffic further to the right of their lane.

Is this "normal"?

I called the dealership and I was told "it will hug the line it sees most clearly".

Reactions: JonMu
I have seen this also. There is a road I take daily and at certain spots, it hugs the center line around turns Almost like it turns too late - not a good idea. It might be the center line is better marked. I will check.

On a related note, they just added an island on this stretch of road and the curb sticks out a little past the yellow line. Autopilot now stops for this, with warning bells. It cannot seem to move to the right a foot or so.

I sure hope the new and improved FSD fixes stuff like this.

Reactions: tskguy
My MY tracks in the center unless there is a car in the adjacent lane. Then it tracks to the left, moving closer to the car in the adjacent lane. This is just the opposite of how I drive -- I tend to move right of center to give a larger "safety margin". Has anyone else observed this behavior?

My MY tracks in the center unless there is a car in the adjacent lane. Then it tracks to the left, moving closer to the car in the adjacent lane. This is just the opposite of how I drive -- I tend to move right of center to give a larger "safety margin". Has anyone else observed this behavior?
I have definitely noticed that if the car in the adjacent lane is close to the dividing line, the Y does not adjust and keeps going too close to that vehicle IMO. I do hope the FSD update improves that behaviour.

BTW: moving a bit left/right in the lane for me is a leftover from riding motorbikes where it's essential to keep as much distance between you and other traffic. It kind of becomes second nature.

Reactions: E-curb
A few days ago I drove my FSD MY on six-lane I95 to study the limits of 2020.40.3 (Now 2020.44.10.1) Autosteer lane-tracking.

Multilane Human Driver
Visualizations on the MCU remind me that I tend to favor giving as much separation as possible to same-direction adjacent traffic. I favor driving off center closer to the berm when in the far-right lane and off center closer to the median when in the far-left lane. Not all the time but when I’m passing or being overtaken by adjacent traffic. I do the same when in the center lane tending to move a tire-width or so away from adjacent traffic. Yesterday I observed other human drivers doing the same.

Multilane 2020.44.10.1 Autosteer
On Autosteer the visualization shows my car hugging the left lane marker. While in the far-right lane Autosteer did not increase separation with a passing semi. The semi seemed dangerously close with no room for error.

On one occasion while in the center lane Autosteer did increase separation by self-steering a little to the left when my car passed a semi. That was welcome. That’s the only Autosteer traffic aware correction I encountered.

I’m resisting with all my will to allow Autosteer to forfeit increased separation with adjacent traffic. My Autosteer left-lane-marker hugging experience is not unique. The lane-marker position shown here looks similar to mine.

Two-Lane Roads and Highways 2020.44.10.1 Autosteer
This is a far more serious issue on a two-lane highway. Autosteer is causing my MY to track too close to the center line to be safe on two-lane roads and highways. An oncoming semi recently crossed a two-lane center line causing me to jerk onto the berm lane-marker to avoid an accident. Autosteer was a set-up for an accident.

If on-coming traffic on a narrow two-lane road needs to move towards the center to pass a pedestrian or a bicycle, I need to move closer to the berm on my side of the road to compensate. That’s how human drivers do it.

Conclusion
Without more precision Autosteer is not useable for me. I’ve pretty much stopped using Autosteer. So, am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible there is something wrong with our cars? That is, are others NOT experiencing this same tendency to drive left of center in the lane? If you're reading this and your car drives in the center of the lane consistently (as I think it should) please speak up.

I have occasionally gotten a "camera blinded" error from the right camera, between the doors, but I've assumed that was due to current conditions and it always clears.

My 2021 MY LR with fsd vin 92xxx seem
seems to track to the left side of the lane when using auto steer. It often hugs the left. When on a 2 lane road it usually gets uncomfortably close to oncoming traffic. Also when NOT using fsd and just normal driving it sometimes warns me that I’m going out of my lane (with steering vibration feedback) even though I am still in my lane just hugging the right (but clearly not touching the lane/line. Has anyone also experienced this and is this something that service can correct?

It is good to know that other people have this same problem on 2 lane roads (one lane in each direction). I would like to request a feature to Tesla to fix this problem but I don't know where I can suggest a feature to Tesla officially. Roughly, I'd like to have an autosteer offset expressed as a positive and negative percentage that is applied on all driving or on just left or right turns. My issue is only on roads that sharply turn right as the car makes a sharp turn correction. A positive offset would move the car more right toward the edge of the road rather than to move more left (toward the possible on-coming traffic). While my problem is mostly with the Tesla taking right hand turns and getting too close to the center line my suggestion allows plus and minus for all steering or just right turns or just left turns in case a drivers car has some sort of problem to correct for. A 100 positive number would shift the car all the way to the right most line (edge) of the road without crossing the line (or edge of road), while a negative number would move toward the line in the center of the road without going over the line. Depending upon how this was implemented, I would plan to set this for 50 to correct the problem so I'm closer to the edge of the road rather than the on-coming traffic. Thoughts? Where can I send this idea to Tesla?

A little more information on my experience with my MY LR tracking left of center on 2 lane roads:

When my car is left of center on two land roads, the visualization display on the screen shows that the car left is left of center. That means the car knows what it is doing. That is, this issue is NOT due to a camera/sensor problem that is causing the car to "think" it is in the middle of the lane when it is really left of center.

Is it possible that Tesla wants the car to be left of center by design? Are they trying to keep the car away from the edge of the road, where sometimes there are pedestrians or bicyclists, which they can't recognize and respond to as quickly as oncoming traffic in the adjacent lane?

Is it possible that Tesla wants the car to be left of center by design? Are they trying to keep the car away from the edge of the road, where sometimes there are pedestrians or bicyclists, which they can't recognize and respond to as quickly as oncoming traffic in the adjacent lane?

That has been my thinking as well. Although a little bothersome, with all the bicyclists who are more and more bold with crowding the right edge of the road, I'm ok with the left of center alignment.

That has been my thinking as well. Although a little bothersome, with all the bicyclists who are more and more bold with crowding the right edge of the road, I'm ok with the left of center alignment.
I understand your thinking but around here the guy coming at you may be a double trailer log truck with redwoods or a fire truck (they take up their entire lane) and you are going around a corner (right hand turn) so you are moving toward them head on. I can slow down for people on bicycles and my Tesla seems to do that by itself. My question still is how do I submit my feature request to Tesla?