Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohh don't get me started on this week. I was grumbling about all the bad news last night to a friend and they insisted we go out to dinner to try and cheer me up. It worked until the call tonight. Now I'm kinda bummed. But it's only an extra day (so far).

Look at it this way breser in a couple of days your wait will be over :biggrin:. I on the other hand have to wait till March before I have any clue when I'll get My 85D. DS said mid March and the dashboard says late March (to be fair when I ordered in October it said March). The status on the dashboard is still "Order Confirmed : Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California." I still have a long 4 weeks before I can get excited.
Cheer up breser and congrats.

By the way has any one done a front bra Xpel Ultimate Paint Protection Film application and what has been their experience? Did you regret it and wish you had done the whole car in Xpel Ultimate?
I would really like to know as I am considering my options for Xpel Ultimate.
Thanks.

I didn't get a chance to listen as closely as I wanted to. DS called during it and then I had to make other calls to alter plans accordingly. Did anyone ask about how 85D production/deliveries were going? I'm guessing not.

My recollection and notes is not much talk about the D cars, other than several Elon comments and chuckling about how much higher the demand was than expected (I felt that was directed at P85D, but might have included the S85D in his mind).

At least you're one of the people getting yours early. Some of us who switched the same day aren't even in production yet.

All I said was I was bummed. I'm sure you'd be bummed if you got a call delaying delivery of your car the night before you had a delivery appointment. I'm not in control of Tesla's scheduling so directing bitter comments at me isn't going to change anything.

All I said was I was bummed. I'm sure you'd be bummed if you got a call delaying delivery of your car the night before you had a delivery appointment. I'm not in control of Tesla's scheduling so directing bitter comments at me isn't going to change anything.

I can FedEx you my awesome bike if you want, it's a sweet ride and always puts me in a happy place.
4b7f3a6f55671815fd960c5115ee2236.jpg

Wasn't intenting to come off bitter, just saying things could be worse. One day delay is pretty small in the grand scheme of things :).

So I pinged my DS about what the status was this afternoon. He said he was waiting for the Service Manager to get out of a call. Just got a call back and he said that my VIN falls in a range that the factory has placed a service hold on in order to conduct further testing. At this point they don't believe anything is wrong with the vehicle but they want to be sure to deliver the best vehicle. The latest information is that factory has requested that they hold the vehicle until at the earliest next Monday morning. There's apparently another meeting about this hold situation tomorrow morning and they'll update me if anything changes.

So I pinged my DS about what the status was this afternoon. He said he was waiting for the Service Manager to get out of a call. Just got a call back and he said that my VIN falls in a range that the factory has placed a service hold on in order to conduct further testing. At this point they don't believe anything is wrong with the vehicle but they want to be sure to deliver the best vehicle. The latest information is that factory has requested that they hold the vehicle until at the earliest next Monday morning. There's apparently another meeting about this hold situation tomorrow morning and they'll update me if anything changes.

Bummer, I was excited to see pics and a review. Oh well, just a few more days!

I'm starting to have my doubts about this car. It sat in production for 20 days. Now it's in Seattle and they don't want to give it to me. They won't say why but they tell me they don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm given the "We want to give you the best car possible line," again which I got after it sat in production for a week (and was the same line they gave on P85D vehicles that were delayed in the Earning Report letter). To say that my confidence in Tesla right now has dropped to an all time low is putting it mildly.

I plan to ask for more information tomorrow morning to try and decide how to proceed from here. At this point I don't know if the quality check work that they say needs to be completed is happening on my car or is happening on other cars, they've been less than clear on that. For that matter they haven't explained what the quality check work is on. The idea of the service center possibly taking apart things on the car when they don't know if there's anything wrong with it is not super exciting to me.

I've had so many problems with Tesla all through my dealings with them over the last 6 months (many of which I have not posted about here). Every step of the way there has been a mistake, problem or delay that required me pestering them to get it fixed or to find out what was going on. Their cars are wonderful. The idea of doing business with them is great. You order a car online, with a fixed price, they make it and deliver it. Actually doing business with them is terrible. If their product wasn't so good or they had an equivalent competitor I would have walked away a long time ago.

So yeah I'm frustrated with them.

Last edited:
I plan to ask for more information tomorrow morning to try and decide how to proceed from here. At this point I don't know if the quality check work that they say needs to be completed is happening on my car or is happening on other cars, they've been less than clear on that. For that matter they haven't explained what the quality check work is on. The idea of the service center possibly taking apart things on the car when they don't know if there's anything wrong with it is not super exciting to me.

Long shot, but perhaps you could find out more about your car if you offer to sign an NDA? I concur with your concern and would certainly want to understand more about my particular car.