Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that I wouldn't have known when the car was built with other manufacturers (though some people have said that's not entirely true either in the past when it's come up). But even if you pretend I didn't have any information on production timing my concern would be pretty high here. Car is at the service center (or dealership). They made an appointment to deliver it. Then cancel saying it'll be a day later (I was bummed but not terribly bothered). Then the next day they say it'll be Monday and that time frame feels even more unsure than the Friday.

No I have not seen the car, but the very first words out of the mouth of my DS was that the car was perfect when he called to cancel the first time.

I've posed my questions to them.

You are a lot closer to yours than I am to mine. i also confirmed in early November yet I am on the late march list for some reason. I spoke with a DS yesterday and even though my MVPA says on or about 2/23 I am indeed scheduled for late march.

Not true. The last new car I ordered was a Porsche, and they provided complete visibility on where it was in the process. They even gave the name of the ship that it came over on, so it could be tracked, and as soon as it arrived at the dealer, they sent pictures of it.

Just try to remember that the only reason you have any cognizance of this is precisely because it IS Tesla. Most other auto makers, and processes, this would all be invisible.

- - - Updated - - -

I would absolutely second this idea.

Time for a weekend visit to Seattle? Go see the car.

Spoke to the DS again today. Insists that the factory did not run the car through the normal quality checks and that the service center is doing them. Said when the Model S first came out it'd take them a week to do the process on each car, that they've gotten faster at doing it but not that much faster. Reason for this is that they wanted to get the car up here as soon as possible. Also said that the service center was surprised this did not happen at the factory. Whole thing is very strange given that the car finished on Thursday and sat until Monday. You'd think they'd have done this work then.

Spoke to the DS again today. Insists that the factory did not run the car through the normal quality checks and that the service center is doing them. Said when the Model S first came out it'd take them a week to do the process on each car, that they've gotten faster at doing it but not that much faster. Reason for this is that they wanted to get the car up here as soon as possible. Also said that the service center was surprised this did not happen at the factory. Whole thing is very strange given that the car finished on Thursday and sat until Monday. You'd think they'd have done this work then.

Remember you are a beta tester, problems will arise.

Last edited:
Remember you are a beta tester, problems will arise.

That's such a throw away comment. You can dismiss anything with that.

No I'm not a beta tester, I don't have the product. I didn't sign up to be a beta tester. I didn't ask for the car to come early. In fact I told them to take their time and do it right.

Sending the car to the service center and then having them do something that should have been done at the factory doesn't sound like doing it right. I strongly suspect there's more to the story that they don't want to share with me. It's entirely possible the DS doesn't know.

That said, if there are problems we'll deal with them. But I also expect to get information about those problems so I can make an informed decision on my part.

Working in the tech sector, my guess is there is some concern which popped up in testing where the 85Ds don't meet some minimum criteria. There is probably a bunch of engineers and testers looking at a batch of vehicles, and daily syncs and go/no-go meetings with management.

Worst case scenarios, are we get a delay as they have to re-manufacture, replace and retest the drive units, or we get drive units that are compromised in some way.

Best case scenario, we get a delay and early 85Ds comes with the standard rear motor and the performance front drive units. Maybe a little less range, but worth it if I get basically P85 performance with 85D AWD goodness.

My S85D would be as follows should I go ahead with ordering it;

S85D - Black | Pano | Stock 19's | Grey Next Gen (If possible! *crosses fingers*) | Piano Black | Black Headliner | Dual Chargers | Tech | Air | Subzero | UHFS
XPEL | Nano | Clear Bra | Chrome Delete (except for the T E S L A lettering on the trunk)

@breser:
Sending the car to the service center and then having them do something that should have been done at the factory doesn't sound like doing it right. I strongly suspect there's more to the story that they don't want to share with me. It's entirely possible the DS doesn't know.

The story you are telling us @breser makes one wonder. Is this about your car in particular or does it concern all the 85Ds produced? We know that a batch of cars destined for Norway were produced before the ones going to the domestic market. This is probably because the time it takes to ship them here and the company wanting them to arrive before the end of Q1. If what you are experiencing concerns a more general issue related to the production process, I guess it also will affect all the cars heading here. Mine has been in transit since the 5th. I hope you will shed light on what is going on; what exactly is the issue behind the delays you are experiencing?