Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model S 85D Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spoke with My DES and he advised that there is a production delay and a whole bunch of cars are yet to start production. He said that the folks in Fremont wouldn't tell him why. Does anybody know what caused this delay?
My car was suppose to go into production last week and it is still in the queue. It is vin 71553. My DS is checking because it still shows preproduction for him. I confirmed on 10/10 and had a build date of 3/2. So I'm wondering if something is holding it up.

My car was suppose to go into production last week and it is still in the queue. It is vin 71553. My DS is checking because it still shows preproduction for him. I confirmed on 10/10 and had a build date of 3/2. So I'm wondering if something is holding it up.
Hi Ddowns2050. It looks like you and i are similar in VIN numbers. Also, mine was scheduled for week of 3/2. On 3/2 my DS said mine was supposed to be in production within the next 24-48 hours. He was checking as i questioned whether I could upgrade to NextGen seats on 3/2. He stated i couldn't, but that I was 24-48 hours from production. No updates to MyTesla since then, and no responses to my emails to DS on Friday.

Hi Ddowns2050. It looks like you and i are similar in VIN numbers. Also, mine was scheduled for week of 3/2. On 3/2 my DS said mine was supposed to be in production within the next 24-48 hours. He was checking as i questioned whether I could upgrade to NextGen seats on 3/2. He stated i couldn't, but that I was 24-48 hours from production. No updates to MyTesla since then, and no responses to my emails to DS on Friday.
My DS is going to get hold of Fremomt to see what he can find out. I'll post what I find out. My DS originally said I would get delivery on 3/14 and then said 3/23. I think he is with wondering what is going on also.

Last edited:
I am picking up my S85D in Mt Kisco tomorrow!

I have been a DELIGHTED Model S owner for 2 years (March, 2013), putting 30,000 miles on my S85 and enjoying every minute of it. As close to a flawless car as I could have hoped for!

I ordered the Model X early last year (needing AWD in our endless upstate NY winters), but converted to S85D on 11/10/14. Confirmed the S85D on 11/18. Vin ***70872. Initial expected delivery Late Feb, was updated to March at year end. Went into manufacturing on Feb 9, completed manufacturing 16 days later (spent a long time "in paint" apparently), when portal was updated to "Production Complete. Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery". Picking it up on March 9.
I traded in my old Model S, and Mt Kisco team was great to work with. They picked up my old, 30,000 mile "Tessie", and provided me with a loaner car in the interim. A very smooth and fair process.
I am most looking forward to the AWD, the newer features that have been added in past 2 years, as well as slight increase in range in the S85D. At least until more Superchargers are added in Binghamton NY, Scranton PA, Allentown PA or Harrisburg PA, then I need every mile of range I can get!
Model S85D
White
Pano Roof
19" Wheels
Grey Leather Seats
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Smart Air Suspension
Sub-zero Package

Home: Skaneateles NY

I am picking up my S85D in Mt Kisco tomorrow!

I have been a DELIGHTED Model S owner for 2 years (March, 2013), putting 30,000 miles on my S85 and enjoying every minute of it. As close to a flawless car as I could have hoped for!

I ordered the Model X early last year (needing AWD in our endless upstate NY winters), but converted to S85D on 11/10/14. Confirmed the S85D on 11/18. Vin ***70872. Initial expected delivery Late Feb, was updated to March at year end. Went into manufacturing on Feb 9, completed manufacturing 16 days later (spent a long time "in paint" apparently), when portal was updated to "Production Complete. Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery". Picking it up on March 9.
I traded in my old Model S, and Mt Kisco team was great to work with. They picked up my old, 30,000 mile "Tessie", and provided me with a loaner car in the interim. A very smooth and fair process.
I am most looking forward to the AWD, the newer features that have been added in past 2 years, as well as slight increase in range in the S85D. At least until more Superchargers are added in Binghamton NY, Scranton PA, Allentown PA or Harrisburg PA, then I need every mile of range I can get!
Model S85D
White
Pano Roof
19" Wheels
Grey Leather Seats
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Smart Air Suspension
Sub-zero Package

Home: Skaneateles NY

That's great!!!! I'm also picking up in mt kisco,but mine got pushed til end of march. I confirmed 11/5...

Last edited:
My DS is going to get hold of Fremomt to see what he can find out. I'll post what I find out. My DS originally said I would get delivery on 3/14 and then said 3/23. I think he is with wondering what is going on also.

My DS said the factory said that I should get the car before the end of the month and don't pay any attention to the dashboard because it isn't keeping up with production.

MY DES called Me today and advised Me that My Model S is in paint, he also said that there are 3 other cars headed for Vancouver being built right now and he is hoping they all get shipped out at the same time to the Vancouver Service Center, maybe by the end of this week :smile:.

Unable to get any information about why production start date is being delayed

Ordered S85D Oct 14th, 2014, confirmed Oct 28, 2014. Was assigned VIN #733XX Jan 18, 2015, and delivery was originally forecast for February. At the end of January, delivery status was changed to "March". On Feb 11, 2015 I requested expedited delivery. Since then nothing has happened although DS assures me he is doing everything possible to expedite. As of today, all the DS will say is they are experiencing delays, and he is unable to advise why or when my car will enter production. Has anyone heard what is going on or is experiencing similar delay in getting into production?? :confused:

Ordered S85D Oct 14th, 2014, confirmed Oct 28, 2014. Was assigned VIN #733XX Jan 18, 2015, and delivery was originally forecast for February. At the end of January, delivery status was changed to "March". On Feb 11, 2015 I requested expedited delivery. Since then nothing has happened although DS assures me he is doing everything possible to expedite. As of today, all the DS will say is they are experiencing delays, and he is unable to advise why or when my car will enter production. Has anyone heard what is going on or is experiencing similar delay in getting into production?? :confused:

Welcome to the forum. Almost everyone with an 85D is getting their cars late. I'm not sure what the current delays are but back when I was still waiting for mine Tesla told me that their were issues getting parts and then that they were working to deliver the best car possible (meaning they were trying to make sure that it was a quality car, this makes more sense in the context that I was getting one of the very first customer deliveries). I feel your frustration though, Tesla does a fairly poor job of communicating during the order/delivery process. I'll spare you the platitudes that people usually post about how great the car is once you get it.

Hi Breser,
Thanks for the information - I wouldn't be so concerned, but my wife and I have made plans to take the new car on a road trip at the end of March, and I also ordered Groupons for Huper Optic window tinting and paint protection film (PPF) for the front half of the car which were supposed to be installed right after delivery and before the trip. The Groupons expire at the end of March, and now it looks like the car won't be delivered in time to get these done.
Two follow-up questions:
1. How do you get your car configuration to display at the bottom of your post?
2. Did you have any surprises / problems with your MS when it was delivered?