Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Multi-red production and sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to take paint armor off my car. Why? See Model S Exterior: Paint Armor - Page 30 . I'll likely take it some place local and get more extensive coverage. Having a local shop that will stand behind their warranty I think will be more convenient as well.

While I was on the phone with Tesla, I asked if cars are built in sequence order or finalized order. I had assumed that sequence numbers dictate when your finalize window opens, and that finalized date would dictate the order that cars are built. I was surprised to learn that cars are built in sequence order, with obvious exceptions for supply chain/not yet in production options. If this is true, then John Q (at the time of this post) should be the first person on our tracking list to get a VIN. It would also imply that come the first week of March (or whenever Red production starts) that the line will be producing a disproportional number of red cars while the factory "catches up" on older sequence numbers that could not be completed due to Red as the exterior color.

Time will tell, I guess. In the meantime I have re-sorted the spreadsheet by sequence number.

A

I decided to take paint armor off my car. Why? See Model S Exterior: Paint Armor - Page 30 . I'll likely take it some place local and get more extensive coverage. Having a local shop that will stand behind their warranty I think will be more convenient as well.

While I was on the phone with Tesla, I asked if cars are built in sequence order or finalized order. I had assumed that sequence numbers dictate when your finalize window opens, and that finalized date would dictate the order that cars are built. I was surprised to learn that cars are built in sequence order, with obvious exceptions for supply chain/not yet in production options. If this is true, then John Q (at the time of this post) should be the first person on our tracking list to get a VIN. It would also imply that come the first week of March (or whenever Red production starts) that the line will be producing a disproportional number of red cars while the factory "catches up" on older sequence numbers that could not be completed due to Red as the exterior color.

Time will tell, I guess. In the meantime I have re-sorted the spreadsheet by sequence number.

A

Here's hoping you're right about my sequence. When I was originally asked to configure, way back in August, I was told that my "position in line" was held for 30 days. If I didn't finalize by then, they would slot other people in front of me until I did so. Since I finalized the 2nd week of December it's possible that others who finalized red as soon as the option was available might be slotted ahead of me. Honestly, I hope it gets delivered as quickly as possible but after waiting more than 3 years, and then waiting even longer for the red, I'm not worried if other reds end up in front of me. Having said all that, I'll certainly share as soon as I get my delivery window.

3M makes some real good "leading edge tape" sheet material. It comes in many different thicknesses and is normally used to protect leading edges on aircraft and such. I used to install it on the front of my race cars. I believe the sheets were at least three feet wide (came on a roll) and it was fairly easy to provide an almost invisible join line from sheet to sheet with a little practice. It was put on like window film with 1/2 alcohol 1/2 water and a few drops of dishwashing soap added in. I would float the panel on then use a soft bondo spreader to move the water mixture out. There were always a few bubbles the next day when the mixture evaporated but these were easily removed with an insulin syringe from the local pharmacy.

Most would not want to try it but it really was not that much work. I actually used to enjoy it.

Here's hoping you're right about my sequence. When I was originally asked to configure, way back in August, I was told that my "position in line" was held for 30 days. If I didn't finalize by then, they would slot other people in front of me until I did so. Since I finalized the 2nd week of December it's possible that others who finalized red as soon as the option was available might be slotted ahead of me. Honestly, I hope it gets delivered as quickly as possible but after waiting more than 3 years, and then waiting even longer for the red, I'm not worried if other reds end up in front of me. Having said all that, I'll certainly share as soon as I get my delivery window.

@JohnQ You have waited the longest, and deserver to be first with the red delivery. I'm hoping they produce a significant batch so we all receive our red Teslas within a few weeks of the first.

Curious how you were able to finalize on the red in mid-October. I didn't think we were able to do so until end of November.

Sflahert please contact tesla and confirm new red delivery time...when I contacted tesla they maintain NO red have been given production or delivery date yet. I would love for you to prove me wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sflahert please contact tesla and confirm new red delivery time...when I contacted tesla they maintain NO red have been given production or delivery date yet. I would love for you to prove me wrong!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I spoke to the factory delivery team on Friday, and they indicated March would be the earliest that production would start for the new RED, with first deliveries perhaps later in the month of March. While this is better than what we have all been told (April - May), I'm hopeful that sflahert's information is accurate, and the rest of us are just being told 'conservative estimates'.

I spoke to the factory delivery team on Friday, and they indicated March would be the earliest that production would start for the new RED, with first deliveries perhaps later in the month of March. While this is better than what we have all been told (April - May), I'm hopeful that sflahert's information is accurate, and the rest of us are just being told 'conservative estimates'.

Go Tesla! Surprise us all.

On the main sequencing tracking thread, P85 #13850 just received a delivery window of Feb 28th-March 14th. If Tesla is building sequence numbers in the 13k range, I have to think come the first week of March we're going to see a ton of delivery questionaries to people waiting on red with lower sequence numbers. Other than red, I think the 40kw battery is the only other item not in production. The only variable we don't know is how popular red is.

My guess is that ~8 of us currently on the spreadsheet receive a delivery window the first week of March, with a delivery of the 4th week of March - 1st week of April. Anyone want to take that bet? :)

A

On the main sequencing tracking thread, P85 #13850 just received a delivery window of Feb 28th-March 14th. If Tesla is building sequence numbers in the 13k range, I have to think come the first week of March we're going to see a ton of delivery questionaries to people waiting on red with lower sequence numbers. Other than red, I think the 40kw battery is the only other item not in production. The only variable we don't know is how popular red is.

My guess is that ~8 of us currently on the spreadsheet receive a delivery window the first week of March, with a delivery of the 4th week of March - 1st week of April. Anyone want to take that bet? :)

A

We have about 30 reds in your SS, assuming 10% reporting which is rule of thumb on TMC, all reds should fit into one week's production. But I doubt they will exclusively make reds so I would give it 2-3 wks for catchup.

A

While we are waiting..... I assume everyone has seen the video 'walk around' of the red car at the Detroit Auto Show posted by Xfrank (not related :wink:) on another thread somewhere... :

2013 Tesla Model S - Performance - Exterior and Interior Walkaround - 2013 Detroit Auto Show - YouTube

The original 'new red' model I saw (and was immediately 'hooked') was at the Fashion Island Tesla store. I am curious how close these colors are, but without a side by side, no way to tell. It is also interesting to load one of the many videos of the signature red in a separate window and compare the two colors...

While we are waiting..... I assume everyone has seen the video 'walk around' of the red car at the Detroit Auto Show posted by Xfrank (not related :wink:) on another thread somewhere... :

2013 Tesla Model S - Performance - Exterior and Interior Walkaround - 2013 Detroit Auto Show - YouTube

The original 'new red' model I saw (and was immediately 'hooked') was at the Fashion Island Tesla store. I am curious how close these colors are, but without a side by side, no way to tell. It is also interesting to load one of the many videos of the signature red in a separate window and compare the two colors...

Yep, I've done all of the above. Interestingly, to me the red isn't as deep in the video from the auto show. The lightning there is so artificial and harsh that I don't think it will look quite the same in real life. The pictures from the get amped tour, especially when the car was partially in and partially out of direct sunlight I found more interesting.

Added mine. Also here is what the Grey 21" will look like. Rolled one in front of the display
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: