Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Multi-red production and sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the TM Forum Bulletin Board, seems like they infer both 40kWh and standard suspension will come before Reds:

"Below is the current Production Sequencing Timeline for 2013:
  • 60 kWh Model S with Active Air Suspension will phase into production in January 2013
  • 40 kWh Model S will phase into production in March 2013
  • 40, 60 and 85 kWh cars with Standard Suspension will begin production in March 2013
  • 2013 Red multi-coat paint will begin production in March 2013 (no change from original plan)"
When will 40 kWh cars, 60 kWh cars, Standard Suspension and new 2013 Red begin production? | Forums | Tesla Motors

The hopeful news is that it sounds like maybe all of these batches may be somewhat ahead of schedule. Here's hoping for our Reds!

Ok I've had it with no red finalization notices! Get the red paint out now. People in 18k getting delivery windows...not fair!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I know it feels unfair and the wait is excruciating, but Tesla did not force anyone to choose multicoat red. Any other colour and the car could have already been on the driveway. It was known to most people choosing multicoat red that it would take a lot longer. Multicoat Red can - for logistical reasons - only be painted after Signature Red has been discontinued. And there are still 500 European Signature-reservation holders who can choose Signature Red once they get their finalize e-mails. About 150 of the 500 have now gotten that e-mail and I expect mine soon. I will also choose Signature Red. This weekend we had our test drives and we heard production will start in March. I am sure that the Multicoat Reds will be the first cars after that.

If it's any consolation, production in March for Multicoat Reds probably means delivery in April or May. In Europe we are looking at delivery of Signature cars in June/July and normal production cars only after summer. And among those customers there are also people who have made a reservation years ago. They don't like it either that someone who walks into an American Tesla store right now can be driving within a few months, overtaking people who have been waiting for years. So we know what you are feeling.

Based on the TM Forum Bulletin Board, seems like they infer both 40kWh and standard suspension will come before Reds:

"Below is the current Production Sequencing Timeline for 2013:
  • 60 kWh Model S with Active Air Suspension will phase into production in January 2013
  • 40 kWh Model S will phase into production in March 2013
  • 40, 60 and 85 kWh cars with Standard Suspension will begin production in March 2013
  • 2013 Red multi-coat paint will begin production in March 2013 (no change from original plan)"
When will 40 kWh cars, 60 kWh cars, Standard Suspension and new 2013 Red begin production? | Forums | Tesla Motors

The hopeful news is that it sounds like maybe all of these batches may be somewhat ahead of schedule. Here's hoping for our Reds!

I saw on another thread that P6682 got a delivery button for 60kW/White with no air for 3/8-3/22. Can't wait until they finish up all those signature reds and can move on to multi-coat. I expect Tesla will catch up quickly - at some point the factory will be full of red!

Why would multi-coat red have anything to do with signature red? I'm not sure I understand your logic. It's not like the paint shop can only hold 7 colors.

My understanding is that they have robot paint stations dedicated to each color, and the Signature Red station would be reconfigured to the Multi-Coat Red once the Signature Red production was complete. I also thought that the sig cars were all completed and those not delivered are stored someplace. I'm not sure this is correct, but it is what I recall from previous info on this forum.

I spoke to a rep today and he said because my configuration is standard suspension and red thats why I would get delivery late April. They said they are building standard suspension and red starting March. I don't care because red looks by the far the best on the model S !!!

@AprilDelivery??
I just received similar info from Tesla, "Multi-Coat Red slated for sometime in March, with deliveries beginning most likely in April." Also, swung by the Fremont Plant this afternoon and observed 4 cars on and around the test track and test ramp. One Black, one Blue, one Silver and one White. All BEAUTIFUL....but the Multi-Coat Red will be well worth the painful wait!

My understanding is that they have robot paint stations dedicated to each color, and the Signature Red station would be reconfigured to the Multi-Coat Red once the Signature Red production was complete. I also thought that the sig cars were all completed and those not delivered are stored someplace. I'm not sure this is correct, but it is what I recall from previous info on this forum.
During the October 2012 factory tour, they said that the paint robots can switch paint guns (although I have seen some videos that seem to contradict this). If they are still using the exchangeable paint guns then they could paint cars in any color in any sequence it seems.

During the October 2012 factory tour, they said that the paint robots can switch paint guns (although I have seen some videos that seem to contradict this). If they are still using the exchangeable paint guns then they could paint cars in any color in any sequence it seems.

The guns do not switch - after each vehicle is painted the robot goes to a docking station, cleans out with solvent, then loads paint for whichever color is next. It is correct that any color can be painted in sequence (provided that color is loaded in one of the circulation systems).

Fellow redders- for those planning on using PenFed, have you started the 90 day window yet? I'm thinking it's getting close.

Funny you should ask. I was planning on applying towards the end of this week. I spoke with PenFed last week and they said that the 1.49% APR rate was good until at least the end of March. Probably not super helpful for us at this point, but the rate could hold. I was contemplating trying to send the check to Tesla early and get them to cash it by the end of March. It's all about the VIN.

A

In case you guys didn't see my post on the PenFed thread, they are raising their rate tomorrow/Friday to 1.79%. Unless you have a VIN and your check has cleared (yes, cleared - doesn't matter if the check was cut) you will be subject to the new rate.