Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Multi-red production and sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No action of any kind, Red or otherwise on the Tesla Track this afternoon. :crying:

I did receive an email reply from the Tesla DS who is assigned to my order. He stated "we are unsure of exact timing, as the production line has yet to officially begin / “ramp up”, I would set your expectations toward a late April – mid May delivery window for the time being." He went on to say this was a CONSERVATIVE estimate "based upon both your configuration type and projections form the factory team on sequencing and timing for the beautiful new 2013 Red cars."

Looks like it will be April before we see any RED, but I am convinced it will be worth the wait.

I don't understand your DS's comment that the "production line has yet to officially begin." The production line is running all the time building Model S's. Unless Tesla has some surprises in store for us, the only thing required to produce multi-coat red cars is to change out color of the paint in the paint robots. In every other respect except color the car is the same, right?

No action of any kind, Red or otherwise on the Tesla Track this afternoon. :crying:

I did receive an email reply from the Tesla DS who is assigned to my order. He stated "we are unsure of exact timing, as the production line has yet to officially begin / “ramp up”, I would set your expectations toward a late April – mid May delivery window for the time being." He went on to say this was a CONSERVATIVE estimate "based upon both your configuration type and projections form the factory team on sequencing and timing for the beautiful new 2013 Red cars."

Looks like it will be April before we see any RED, but I am convinced it will be worth the wait.

Please remind of your configuration thank you

from my Samsung galaxy s3

I don't understand your DS's comment that the "production line has yet to officially begin." The production line is running all the time building Model S's. Unless Tesla has some surprises in store for us, the only thing required to produce multi-coat red cars is to change out color of the paint in the paint robots. In every other respect except color the car is the same, right?

Maybe the DS was referring to them as a line of products, you know like "the green line of Model S is available, but the red line is still awaiting launch."

Completely random guess into the mind of a DS :smile:

I assume he was referring to the start of the new RED production, ie. Production is not talking to Sales.....

@xhawk101 "Please remind of your configuration thank you"

My config is posted in my signature below:

Based on all the inconsistent and conflicting comments from DS's and store staff about production of the multi-coat red I think it's safe to say that they're not a reliable source. So I'm going to stop fretting over this until someone gets a delivery notice.

Yup. They won't ship them until they're red-y.

I was bored. If anyone else in VA who is waiting on a red Model S, feel free ...

redtsla.jpg

A

Excuse me for forgetting or for raising a question that's been answered elsewhere, but how did we come to the conclusion that multi-coat red would be produced in March? What were the sources? DS's, store personnel? My contract only provides a non-binding delivery window of April/May. Or was this something we just assumed because of the April/May delivery window that we all seem to have.

Excuse me for forgetting or for raising a question that's been answered elsewhere, but how did we come to the conclusion that multi-coat red would be produced in March? What were the sources? DS's, store personnel? My contract only provides a non-binding delivery window of April/May. Or was this something we just assumed because of the April/May delivery window that we all seem to have.

The Design Studio on the Teslamotors.com website. Used to say something to the effect of "enters production March 2013" when you selected multi-coat red as your color.

Ok talked to someone at 888.771.2505 (the number in my invitation to configure email). She said my car had been sent to factory five days before!! She also said I would be receiving the deliver button within the next two weeks and I should expect my car by first week of May. She did mention that she would call me in addition to sending me an email when the I need to give the delivery details.

So the sequence seems to be - send the order to the factory (presumably to make sure all parts are there etc.) (time - T); two weeks after that ask person for delivery info (T+2w); ~2 weeks after that actual production starts (T+4w) and a week from that delivery (T+5w). So I think production hasn't started and will probably start mid April with earliest deliveries late April.

She also mentioned that the car in the Geneva Auto show was the new red and is an awesome color!

Happy to get some info about my car!

Desiguy - Interesting. Unfortunately, I wouldn't read too much into the "sent to the factory" message from the person you spoke with. I was told my order had been sent to the factory well over a month ago, and was still able to re-finalize to add the 3rd row. I don't think we really know anything.

From TM Forum Bulletin Board: When will it be possible to finalize a Model S order with new 2013 Red multi-coat exterior paint? | Forums | Tesla Motors