Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Our Trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an app that can be installed or a way that I can post a link to let family see where we are while we drive south for our vacation? I like the Tesla app for the phone but I don't really want my family all downloading the app. I think there are a few that rely on the a phone, I could do it but I have to get a big international data package and was looking for ways around it.

how about leaving VisibleTesla running on a desktop computer back at home with your family?

it will log your entire trip as long as its left running. then periodically they can choose any date in the Trips tab and click on the he "Map It" button to bring up a map view in a browser with your car's path during that trip segment superimposed . There is also a "Locations" tab in the app that's supposed to show a realtime GPS location of your car including heading direction - that should do what you need, but at least for me that tab seems buggy and tends to crash the VT app.

maybe not the perfect solution (e.g. from VT they could mess with your charge or HVAC settings, among other things) but if you trust them not to fiddle with the controls this might be one way to let them follow your trip, without having to specifically send them anything from your phone and use a data plan? I suppose if you wanted to get fancy, you could leave VT running on your home computer and somehow each night from the hotel you remotely access it, grab a screenshot and send to your family...

Is there an app that can be installed or a way that I can post a link to let family see where we are while we drive south for our vacation? I like the Tesla app for the phone but I don't really want my family all downloading the app. I think there are a few that rely on the a phone, I could do it but I have to get a big international data package and was looking for ways around it.
It's not tesla specific but I use the "En Route" app on the iPhone. It allows you to share a trip with another person and they can see your location and eta in real time.

Real time GPS tracking with LocaToWeb

The phone app costs a couple dollars but anyone can track you on the web for free. Just be sure to keep your phone plugged in because constantly pinging the GPS is a battery killer.

Also, for the sake of privacy, start the app a few minutes after you start your trip, and stop it a few minutes before you get there. Then the exact locations are not published for all the world to see.