Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First: MarcG, congratulations. I am beyond jealous.

Second: Did you all see the Model S nameplate at the bottom of the door in MarcG's pics? I think that's new!

Third: Ok, I'm going to rant. If you don't want to see it, move on. This is not directed at anyone in particular.

What's with all the whining guys? Jeeez. Many of us Model S old timers waited 3 YEARS for our Model S. You've been waiting a few months at most and sound like Tesla has murdered your first-born. For the love of God, get some perspective folks. You're about to take delivery of the fastest sedan on the planet. Built-to-order from the internet. Quicker than all but the most elite of cars, period. Consider this car is ALSO among the most efficient cars on the planet. Consider it's arguably the world's most advanced car, at a price point for its performance that is amazing. You're going to get free fuel.

Do you all understand the remarkable engineering achievement that the P85D represents? The Model S when it first came out was a remarkable achievement in and of itself. From a performance perspective, this car is an engineering triumph on a whole new level. In just 2.5 or so years, Tesla has literally leapfrogged 110 years of ICE performance innovation. Literally all of the old class performance leaders have now been completely eclipsed by the new guy (track performance remains to be seen--but this car's made for driving--not tracking!)

Stop the whining for a moment and think about that. The fastest sedan on the planet, and it can seat 5+2. It has 1.5 trunks. The Audi RS7 used to be the benchmark of sedan performance. Now it's the P85D. Think about that again. The car that 2 months ago was the quickest sedan on the planet is now chasing you.

I understand the frustration of expecting delivery and planning around it, only to be let down. I've been through it.

But please recognize that Elon wasn't kidding. Building cars in freakin' HARD. Bulding cars for demanding buyers used to expensive performance/luxury cars is even harder. Guess what? Building cars to order, with new technology and a new company--as the new guy--is an order of magnitude HARDER.

Tesla is not perfect. We all know that. They can improve, no doubt. But Tesla wants to get these cars in your hands. They want nothing more than that. They're not playing favorites, nor trying to favor some at the expense of others. Manufacturing is just a complex beast. The reasons for the delays are usually complex and you will likely never know the full complexity of the reason why your car took 4 weeks longer to build than some other guy. The wait, in the end, is in your best interest and you'll forget it when you take delivery and switch to INSANE mode.

Just take a moment, breathe, and relax. Whether you get your tax credit this year or next...whether you have the car before your vacation or not...whether your car is a 2014 or a 2015, or has a heated steering wheel...get some perspective. You're going to be owning and driving among the most bitchin' cars on the planet.

Be happy you can afford this car, be thankful that there are a lot of bright people at Tesla that put in sh*t tons of hours a week at work to make this car as awesome as they can. And take pleasure in knowing that *this* Model S "veteran" is ridiculously jealous of you.

Marc,

How is the traction with the 19" Tires?

So far so good. Haven't been able to spin the tires yet, and the roads were wet today! Can't wait to test it in the snow on Sunday (if any is left on Lake Tahoe roads...)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not at all caught up on this thread yet, (I was travelling today and got to test drive a P85D myself--more on that later and elsewhere) and I'm guessing others may have also commented on this already, but THAT IS AMAZING! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I won't be getting a delivery walkthrough, as my P85D is going to be trucked to me. So I imagine once you get your video online somewhere, I'll be watching it over and over again, and getting my wife to watch it too! Thanks so much for doing that!

Happy to help! It's going to be a 2-part video due to the GoPro splitting them after 4GB each, but it should be done tonight. Stay tuned!

Good way to channel one's frustrations.......................along with that letter to Jerome :wink:

OK, I'm good for now. I sent 50 nerf missiles (5 packs of 10) to the factory from Amazon with a witty gift message. Maybe I'll send some to Devon too...

Code:
5 items will be shipped to Tesla Factory by Amazon.com. 
Guaranteed delivery: Dec. 15, 2014

They have been for a while. Not sure when it went into production but sometime after September. In the discussion about the seats someplace, someone in Europe mentioned they had these taller headrests on their backseat.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure it's a common "oops" gift. But anyone can buy one either on their website or in one of the stores.

http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/outerwear/products/men-s-new-corp-jacket-black
This jacket doesn't say P85D on the back.

My P85D is finally in production - delivery 12/28 in Maryland - just went in tonight!

Car Production.JPG

My P85D is finally in production - delivery 12/28 in Maryland - just went in tonight!

Congrats! Nice choice of colors/whees/roof/calipers ;-) exactly like mine!

OK I think part 1 of my delivery walkthrough video is ready, let's test:

Gosh I think I said "okay" over 1000 times... sorry about that! Lots of questions asked though to cover all bases.

Hope you enjoy it and find it useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is a basic question. Where is everyone getting an actual possible delivery date from? I have been in production since 12/06, my DS won't commit to any date. My dashboard just says, "late December." I looked at all the paperwork and it doesn't show any dates there either. Thanks.

Sorry if this is a basic question. Where is everyone getting an actual possible delivery date from? I have been in production since 12/06, my DS won't commit to any date. My dashboard just says, "late December." I looked at all the paperwork and it doesn't show any dates there either. Thanks.

Hey Rich, take a close look at your Purchase Agreement. It's on the Final Price Sheet page at the top. It's pretty hidden. Hope that helps bud.

I posted on another thread but perhaps I should have posted here. I sent my DS an email tonight asking about why nothing has changed on my Dashboard since October 22nd. About an hour later around 8:00 tonight I was no longer just in the queue, it said the factory was now producing my Model S. I then sent a second email telling my DS that I saw that 3 Teslas were being delivered to Tampa on December 27th according to posts by the prospective owners. I suggested they might add my P85D to that truck to make an even 4. We will see what he has to say. This was great news as it makes my December birthday and Christmas this year comparable to the Christmas where I received my first 2 wheeled bike---a beautiful green Schwinn. I was also getting a bit worried as I sold my 2012 Mustang last night which leaves me sharing my wife's hybrid Ford C Max (slightly faster than a Prius). I hope many others waiting have a great December too with a Tesla in their stocking before the end of the year! Dr Ron

Silver P85D, silver 19" wheels, Pano Roof, black leather 2nd Gen.seats, dual chargers, tech.package, audio upgrade,piano black, white headliner, console

Hey Rich, take a close look at your Purchase Agreement. It's on the Final Price Sheet page at the top. It's pretty hidden. Hope that helps bud.

Ben, yeah just double checked. My order and confirmation dates are there, but no specific delivery date. Interesting, glad I am not going nuts. Thanks for the help.

PS - just heard after 3 days in paint finally moved to general assembly. So seeing some slow progress.

This is not directed at anyone in particular.

What's with all the whining guys? Jeeez. Many of us Model S old timers waited 3 YEARS for our Model S. You've been waiting a few months at most and sound like Tesla has murdered your first-born. For the love of God, get some perspective folks.

Considering I seem to be the only one remaining vocal about the issue, I'll take it as directed towards me.

First, I really don't care that you and others waited years for the Model S. That was your decision to do so and no one forced you to. Therefore, that point carries absolutely zero weight with me. I vote with my dollars, and Tesla is close to losing them.

Second, I take offense to the whole "whining" term that has been thrown around here since it is nothing but demeaning and unnecessary in context. I bring up valid issues, on topic, and get pretty much get called names? You folks have already alienated one forum member who was vocal about these issues.

Finally, my gripes with Tesla are completely justified. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean I'm wrong.

If I don't take delivery in 2014 the tax credit is useless to me in 2015. My tax situation really is none of anyone's business here, but suffice it to say the credit will not help me in 2015. So, there is a $7500 hit if delayed that long.

I'm on vacation with my family. I've had two delivery dates scheduled so far (three really, but the middle one was quickly changed), both of which I worked into my vacation plans, and both of which have been missed with no details, essentially screwing up two weekends worth of plans (since they were both Fridays meaning travel would be Thursday through Saturday). I'm trying to cut a hole in my vacation to get the car when it is ready, and the closer it gets to the end of the month the more of a pain in the ass that 1200 trip is going to be. The originally quoted 12/5 date worked nicely because it was early in the month (less holiday traffic hassle) and prior to my scheduled travel.

Then it turns out that vehicles are being delivered and while others put into production and completed all of which are people who ordered and put down a deposit after me. That's a bit of a slap in the face to me. "Yeah, you've been in line, but wait more while these people behind you cut in front."

I mean really, I'll be paying over $133k for their product. Regardless of how awesome the end product is doesn't excuse the issues, lack of communication, and inconsistencies.

Sure, it'll be great when I finally have it, but I don't, and the combination of all of the above is irritating. I understand that there are many folks here who are TSLA investers (myself included up until recently) and don't want the bad press, but, I'm not going to sugar coat the situation just for the sake of people not wanting to hear the truth about it.