Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marc, I think Tesla found that any regeneration captured "by the actual brakes" would be minimal when measure against the cost and complexity of said "braking system", which is why they chose not to implement such system.

I am sure you will get used to feathering the accelerator in short order...to many of us, driving using just one pedal (for the most part) is a big part of the joy of driving a Tesla!

I have only one brief test drive in an P85+ but from my 6 years experience with my Roadster I still want much more region force. I frequently have to use the friction brakes in normal driving. It would be much nicer if the regen was 50-100% stronger, especially at low speeds. We are so close to being able to drive with one foot that it's frustrating. I was told way back before I got my Roadster that the reason (or a reason?) that it doesn't have more region is that too much on the rear wheels only would be a safety issue. But of course this is not a problem with the P85D. How about doubling the regen force in "Insane" mode?

Very confused about what you're asking!?! :confused:

Hi. sorry for confusion. Let me clarify.
during my test drive when i accelerated the orange bar that goes up on the dashboard right near where it displays speed only maxed at 440. I'm wondering if you're seeing the same thing. 440 is significantly less than the 515 tesla claims which equals 691hp. I was in insane mode...batter 1/2 full. I'm wondering if you're seeing the same and if you are able to achieve 515 when 90% charged. Thanks

during my test drive when i accelerated the orange bar that goes up on the dashboard right near where it displays speed only maxed at 440. I'm wondering if you're seeing the same thing. 440 is significantly less than the 515 tesla claims which equals 691hp. I was in insane mode...batter 1/2 full. I'm wondering if you're seeing the same and if you are able to achieve 515 when 90% charged. Thanks

Ah ok, you were referring to the POWER that the motors are delivering while accelerating, not ENERGY. I was confused by your choice of units.
For reference, kWh is a measure of energy (which is power over time, hence the extra "h" for "hours") whereas kW is a measure of power.

Anyway, to answer your question, the maximum power I've seen so far on any P85D including mine is just a hair under the 480 kW mark.
This was usually achieved while accelerating from a standstill under INSANE mode.

Where did Tesla claim 515? Also that gauge is logarithmic not linear. So a little past 440 isn't that far off 515.

My car just went to: "In Production. The Tesla factory is building your Model S" status, nice to see. My VIN is 64026 and the order was placed on 10/14 after converting my original P85 order to the P85D. Confirmation was on 10/29 and my VIN was assigned on 11/4. I assume it will be built with the older seats, and reworked later. I'm guessing that it should be completed by the end of this week, just in time for Christmas.

@breser I believe he scale goes to 480kw now!? Which makes me wonder if winterlee's reading might even be lower from the reasons you are pointing out here about the scale.

As I sit here eating I'm thinking about this as well. The bars were 30. 60. 120. 240. 480. My guess of 440 is just a guess. It was noticably under that 480 line. Maybe 420 430. If I got to that 480 line there would have been much more pull. And I say that because my p85+ is 300 max with a near empty battery as opposed to 330ish fully charged. Makes a big big difference. Look I'm not complaining. As I sit here eating im noticing my neck hurts a bit...the car is noticalby faster. If i were coming from an ICE car id be absolutly blown away. I'm a super super happy tesla owner...love my current car and having test drove the d am really looking forward to getting my new one. Just saying....480 is a difference and I'd like to think it would get there under proper conditions

Yes that's a whole lot of news articles and links back to this forum where people are speculating about that number. But I've yet to see Tesla publish an official number like that anywhere.

And again that should be 515 kW (as pointed out to you on another thread). kWh makes no sense in this context.
515kw is simply the 691hp converted to kw. So Tesla does indeed say 515kw "motor power" in the design studio.

Yes and Tesla since the D announcement has been displaying the maximum possible hp the motors are capable of. Doesn't mean you're going to get it. Tesla has never promised that cars are going to ever see 515 kW power on the dash.
Hehe no disagreement there. Gave more or less the exact same comment/answer to winterlee in another thread 10-15minutes ago:biggrin:

Rated motor power and actual simultaneously power (When battery/inverter is included) are 2 different things. The P version has "motor power" 470hp while it delivers 420hp (i little more at 100% soc)

Fair enough...If what you're saying is accurate then 470 is to 420 as 691 is to 617.4893 delivered hp. 617hp=460wh --so a tad under the 480 line
makes sense...I was well under that, but maybe with a full charge i would have seen that.

Maybe the black hole is ending!!1!!!eleven!

This Sunday, my status just changed to "Production Complete. Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery." Hopefully the truck to Chitown drives as fast as the car does...
My P85D changed to "Production Complete" yesterday, and I am also taking delivery in Chicago. Here is to hoping our cars are room-mates on that truck! :smile: