Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
64260 Just went from In Production to Production Complete, Production Started about 6PM Tuesday 12/16, Production Complete 12/20 10AM less then 4 days!
Hoping the delivery early next week, have to wait for the infamous "Inspection and QA" step which the DS said might take longer then normal.

I love you.

I knew there was a reason I was snapping those pictures...

Just between us, I have another excuse for mixing up those pictures - I was still a bit dizzy after the test drive...

The car is truly spectacular, it is not just power,t but also the suspension tuning, steering, brakes - all is a step up compared to my P85+. I am really interested to see car magazines doing thorough reviews. There were few of them claiming that in the handling department P85+ was not on par with Porsche Panamara's, so I am really curious, what do they conclude now...

This cracks me up. First there is nothing but discontent over the delays. Now people are complaining that Tesla is "just trying to deliver as many cars as possible before the end of the year". Tesla can't win with some people. Either they are hammered for delays or criticized for delivering too many cars. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Vin # 68135 just went into production. Sweet!

My complaint was and still is about communications. My car is on a truck, but I still can't get a solid answer on what seats are in my car, finance paperwork, or even a solid timeline on when the car will be delivered ("it depends on if it was a one driver or two driver truck" -- why don't they know what they booked??)

there is absolutely a concern that they may have rushed my car without proper repairs and inspections just to make their year end numbers.

I absolutely would not mind waiting a week or 3 if I had any concrete answers on wtf was happening with my car, and assurances that waiting would result in a better final product.

Last edited:
lkwobker suggested graphing P85D deliveries over time. So, I've added two graphs on the graph tab to do just that. However, it's a bit odd as a few people put in dates under "actual delivery date" that are in the future. Presumably this is being interpreted as "New scheduled delivery date", which we don't have a column for, or some of you have a time machine. If it's the latter, please go back in time and let me know to slightly delay my P85D order because of the heated steering wheel :)

On a side note, out of those 7 VINs I'm the only one on the tracking spreadsheet... I wonder if that means there are 7x more P85Ds bought than we have on the sheet? :eek:

I believe we speculated that the ratio was 10:1 earlier. This is in the same order

- - - Updated - - -

Actually just had a look.

It seems like the minimum is 3 days.

There are so many black hole orders, it's hard to really figure out

It is still very variable. From 3 days to who knows how long. I am still in General Assembly, and I went into production on the 15th. Since you are in SoCal, I would give it at least 6 days.

lkwobker suggested graphing P85D deliveries over time. So, I've added two graphs on the graph tab to do just that. However, it's a bit odd as a few people put in dates under "actual delivery date" that are in the future. Presumably this is being interpreted as "New scheduled delivery date", which we don't have a column for, or some of you have a time machine. If it's the latter, please go back in time and let me know to slightly delay my P85D order because of the heated steering wheel :)

An interesting bar chart would be 'number of days in production', though you might have to separate out the black hole cars to get anything meaningful as we go forward. Another might be 'days after production complete prior to transport or factory delivery'.

You should rename that column to "actual date delivered" to make it unambiguous.

My complaint was and still is about communications. My car is on a truck, but I still can't get a solid answer on what seats are in my car, finance paperwork, or even a solid timeline on when the car will be delivered ("it depends on if it was a one driver or two driver truck" -- why don't they know what they booked??)

there is absolutely a concern that they may have rushed my car without proper repairs and inspections just to make their year end numbers.

I absolutely would not mind waiting a week or 3 if I had any concrete answers on wtf was happening with my car, and assurances that waiting would result in a better final product.

It's pretty standard to not have transportation be an exact science. If you have ever purchased a car that requires this its usually a window of time that's provided and the safest thing is to plan on worst case. In terms of your thoughts of a sub standard car being delivered, don't take delivery. Hold off and request an inspection. No one is forcing you - and if you're feeling exposed that seems to be the logical thing to do to give you piece of mind. Doesn't sound like you care about the 2014 tax incentive - maybe they didn't know that.

It is ready and available for your use - you or your agent. In this case, the shipping company is acting as your agent.

I think you'd lose if you tried to argue that the vehicle was ready and available for your use while in shipping. It probably wouldn't help that the owner didn't hire the shipper and Tesla did.

I think these comments struggle with the concept that these assets are ready, able and registered for use. Just because the owner doesn't drive it doesn't mean anything. The fact that anyone could get in it and drive it on a roadway means it's in service. There is no mention of driving a car or a mileage requirement in the tax code. I would certainly check with my accountant regardless...the advice here is all over the map.

Nobody has said that the owner has to drive the car. People keep trying to put words in my mouth about what "placed in service" means. It simply has to be available for your use, even if you happen not to use it. The IRS link I provided earlier says as much.

If you go by the first article, you would not be able to claim the credit until you get the next-gen seats, as you ordered them and they were not installed, and will be installed in 2015. But that might be taking it a bit too far.

I kinda doubt the IRS would bother with this. But if you happen to tell them you needed the seats and didn't get them to 2015, then yes they probably would disallow the tax credit in 2014.

I actually had responded to that, asking if you knew the person that was getting that P85D, or if it was just some random person's car they let you sit in. To be honest, that worried me a little, as someone about to take delivery of a new P85D. I kinda figured they just let you sit in that stranger's car, since you didn't say it was a friend of yours, and while I'm sure you were appropriately careful, I really wouldn't want strangers being allowed to sit in my car before I get it. I was surprised they let you do that.

Edit--I see now that you have recently answered in the other thread, that they only let you sit in one that has not gone through detailing yet. I guess that's a little better, but it still bothers me a little. Maybe I'm just too "Type-A."
Just to tie two topics together, sounds like you could consider the car is already depreciating before it is even in your hands what with various people checking it out, detailers, shippers etc. driving it. I'm saying this slightly tongue in cheek but maybe there is an argument to make for when the depreciation period starts.

I think you'd lose if you tried to argue that the vehicle was ready and available for your use while in shipping. It probably wouldn't help that the owner didn't hire the shipper and Tesla did.

The end of the year direct-to-your-house shipping is different. Instead of a contract between Tesla and the shipper its instead a contract directly between you and the shipper.

This also means if the vehicle is damaged in transport it's now on you to go after the shipper for an insurance claim. They are, after all, acting as your agent and accepting delivery for you. Tesla's obligation is done when they deliver the car to the shipper.

This is all called out in the MVPA fine print.

This change from the normal shipping arrangement is the distinction that makes it work.

Nobody has said that the owner has to drive the car. People keep trying to put words in my mouth about what "placed in service" means. It simply has to be available for your use, even if you happen not to use it. The IRS link I provided earlier says as much.

I kinda doubt the IRS would bother with this. But if you happen to tell them you needed the seats and didn't get them to 2015, then yes they probably would disallow the tax credit in 2014.

Are you a CA providing free advice? Not being inflammatory - just curious about your position.

I was at the Dania Beach SC this morning getting my current center console "uninstalled" to have when my new car comes. BOTH (see signature) are production complete and waiting for transport.. My DS said both will definitely be here before year end, though he wouldn't commit to whether they'll make the 12/26 original date. There was one P85D there with NG fronts seats. He said mine wouldn't have either front or back.