Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The end of the year direct-to-your-house shipping is different. Instead of a contract between Tesla and the shipper its instead a contract directly between you and the shipper.

This also means if the vehicle is damaged in transport it's now on you to go after the shipper for an insurance claim. They are, after all, acting as your agent and accepting delivery for you. Tesla's obligation is done when they deliver the car to the shipper.

This is all called out in the MVPA fine print.

This change from the normal shipping arrangement is the distinction that makes it work.

I understand that. I just disagree that this has any impact on the tax credit. I agree that it lets Tesla recognize the revenue and avoids the issue with selling in the states that don't allow them to sell there. The whole reason for the term "placed in service" as opposed to something more generic like "acquired" or "obtained" is to prevent the use of technicalities like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you a CA providing free advice? Not being inflammatory - just curious about your position.

No and I've repeatedly told people to ask their tax advisors about this. The people who have done so have posted in this thread and said they had to HAVE the vehicle.

Just to tie two topics together, sounds like you could consider the car is already depreciating before it is even in your hands what with various people checking it out, detailers, shippers etc. driving it. I'm saying this slightly tongue in cheek but maybe there is an argument to make for when the depreciation period starts.

This reminds me of that used Aston Martin parody advertisement - in the same spirit of your slightly tongue and cheek :)

Aston-Martin-Preowned1.jpg

It's pretty standard to not have transportation be an exact science. If you have ever purchased a car that requires this its usually a window of time that's provided and the safest thing is to plan on worst case. In terms of your thoughts of a sub standard car being delivered, don't take delivery. Hold off and request an inspection. No one is forcing you - and if you're feeling exposed that seems to be the logical thing to do to give you piece of mind. Doesn't sound like you care about the 2014 tax incentive - maybe they didn't know that.

I agree that transportation is not an exact science ... Weather, Traffic, etc ... But a simple fact like "Are there two drivers or one" shouldn't be a mystery. Note, I didn't even ask this question, the DS mentioned that it was a variable that he did not know.

As far as an inspection, truth is, an inspection is only as good as the inspector, and Miami is not exactly well known for it's artisan craftsmanship. I doubt I will be able to find someone who is any more qualified to inspect a Tesla than I am. I plan to do a thorough inspection of cosmetic aspects, and a test drive to check for squeaks and rattles (which in my experience can never be properly resolved). If it passes that, I will take my chances on mechanical defects, as those should be much easier to cover under Warranty. If there is a major defect in the paint that is unnoticed until 3 days after delivery, I would fully expect Tesla to say "wasn't us, must have been after delivery!".

I understand that. I just disagree that this has any impact on the tax credit. I agree that it lets Tesla recognize the revenue and avoids the issue with selling in the states that don't allow them to sell there. The whole reason for the term "placed in service" as opposed to something more generic like "acquired" or "obtained" is to prevent the use of technicalities like this.

- - - Updated - - -

No and I've repeatedly told people to ask their tax advisors about this. The people who have done so have posted in this thread and said they had to HAVE the vehicle.

Actually my CPA (who generally is VERY conservative) said as long as I paid for it, it was registered in my name, insured and on a truck it was OK. However, I agree with you that you should consult with your own accountant and not the advice of mine.

Picked up VIN 65513 at the factory today!

Just looove the car!! Wife hasn't pushed it yet and is sticking to the SPORT mode.

Had a wonderful factory tour as well. Lots of P85Ds everywhere.

Quality-wise, the car was almost perfect. There was a chip on the edge of the rear passenger door that the Tesla employee - who was actually a Quality Engineer from the production line who was helping out with deliveries - got addressed with service rightaway while we took the factory tour. There was also condensation in the tail light trim (with the chrome strip in between) that was replaced.

there is absolutely a concern that they may have rushed my car without proper repairs and inspections just to make their year end numbers.

There is also a concern that the world will end tomorrow. Both of these concerns are pure conjecture.

I absolutely would not mind waiting a week or 3 if I had any concrete answers on wtf was happening with my car, and assurances that waiting would result in a better final product.

Your car is being built, inspcted by QA, burned in, and delivered. You'll be contacted when it's ready.

Tesla is not holding your car back because they enjoy watching you squirm, guys. I said it before, I'll say it again...just relax and be excited for your car. You're working yourselves up too much!

Well, my D finally finished last night after 15 days in production (yeah!). Picking it up tomorrow. I'm an early Model-S owner (my 85 is almost 2 years old now) so I'm looking forward to all of the upgrades. Parking sensors, folding mirrors, all that stuff will be new for me + the AWD, awesome acceleration, and autopilot hardware. Looking forward to it!

Will post summary of first impressions tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

This reminds me of that used Aston Martin parody advertisement - in the same spirit of your slightly tongue and cheek :)

View attachment 66570

Awesome marketing

Ask 5 accountants, and you will get 5 answers. The same would be true of IRS auditors.

Exactly.:wink: I trust mine but I admit it is my butt in a sling if he/I am wrong. Luckily this should not be an issue as my car finished production a few days ago and is waiting transport. Should be able to make the cross country trip in 3-5 days and be available for delivery on Dec 30th as planned.

When the first 'Ds' seem to be delayed I asked him about several scenarios and I hopefully will not have to take the risk.

66720 production complete! Now a bit worried after electrician today said I need to bump up to 320amp service at my house before installing the HPWC.

If you believe that you'll be getting another electric vehicle, you definitely should upgrade. Even if you're getting the wall charger, may make sense.

I'm getting a whole separate meter because California has a specific plan for EVs that allows for separate rates for the car and the rest of the house.

If you believe that you'll be getting another electric vehicle, you definitely should upgrade. Even if you're getting the wall charger, may make sense.

I'm getting a whole separate meter because California has a specific plan for EVs that allows for separate rates for the car and the rest of the house.

Yes I will - have to make amp room for the chance of a Model X next year if the missus demands one. May even make solar economical with all the subsidies we have here.

I'm getting my car delivered tomorrow, from the Mt. Kisco service center. My DS really came through for me.

The car got there late yesterday, and when we spoke yesterday evening, things were looking good for a Sunday delivery. The car just had to be detailed, etc., and my DS said as long as there hadn't been any issues on the long cross country trip, Sunday should be no problem, as long as I was willing to let the car travel to me on a flatbed truck instead of in an enclosed truck. He said if I really wanted it to come in an enclosed truck I'd have to wait until the end of the week.

The reason I really wanted delivery tomorrow, aside from the fact that tomorrow is sooner and any other day is later, is that tomorrow my wife can participate in the excitement of the delivery, but during the week she would not be able to. Also the soonest I'd be able take delivery after tomorrow, even if I were to accept the delivery on a flatbed, was Wednesday.

Anyway, back to today...

This afternoon, shortly before 2:00, I received an e-mail message from my DS indicating that the car may not make it by tomorrow, and asking about other options. I wrote back, and he called me around 2:30 to tell me the car would not finish detailing in time to get a NYS inspection today, so I would not be able to get the car tomorrow. He did say that there was some way to handle it if I wanted to somehow handle the inspection (I think without even being able to drive the car) but I didn't entertain that option at all, because I'm not comfortable trying to get someone local to inspect the car at this point. I'd rather have that aspect of things done the standard way, and delay delivery if need be.

I asked if there was any possible way the car could be squeezed in for inspection before detailing was finished, and then go back for the rest of the detailing. My DS said he'd see what he could do, and about 45 minutes later wrote to say that he was able to make it happen! So some time late tomorrow afternoon I should be driving my new P85D! My DS definitely came through. And when this is all over, I'll be sure to let Jerome Guillen know that!

I'm attaching a couple of pictures he sent me, including one of the interior, which shows the non-next generation grey leather seats and the matte obeche trim.
7290.jpg
7288.jpg

... I need to bump up to 320amp service at my house before installing the HPWC.

What do you have now? Here (Chicago) we only have 200A (or less) panels common for 1Φ power... they do 400A with two 200A runs to the meter. I had a new run to the garage done for 100A, but waiting for the spring to upgrade the panel off the meter to use both chargers onboard... if there is an option for a 320A box I'd like to know where you get one!

Good luck, they look sharp installed.