Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes!! "Production Complete" on 63808

Went into production on Tuesday 12/16, production complete today 12/20 within the last hour. Hopefully just a few days to get to Denver!

P85D multi-coat red, tan interior, black headliner, grey 21s, all options except 3rd row.

P

YESSS. Finally out of the hole!
Capture.PNG

I agree that transportation is not an exact science ... Weather, Traffic, etc ... But a simple fact like "Are there two drivers or one" shouldn't be a mystery. Note, I didn't even ask this question, the DS mentioned that it was a variable that he did not know.

As far as an inspection, truth is, an inspection is only as good as the inspector, and Miami is not exactly well known for it's artisan craftsmanship. I doubt I will be able to find someone who is any more qualified to inspect a Tesla than I am. I plan to do a thorough inspection of cosmetic aspects, and a test drive to check for squeaks and rattles (which in my experience can never be properly resolved). If it passes that, I will take my chances on mechanical defects, as those should be much easier to cover under Warranty. If there is a major defect in the paint that is unnoticed until 3 days after delivery, I would fully expect Tesla to say "wasn't us, must have been after delivery!".

With the concern that you have, I have no idea why you are taking your car. Sounds like you wont be happy...and thats a lot to spend with the thought that forever in the back of your mind, you feel that TM (likely) had some sort of breakdown in their quality control process.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you really believe there's no salvage value for those seats?

sure - at best 50%. That said, value is market driven...I wonder what the market would actually be willing to spend for them - they certainly cant pop them into new cars, so the market would have to be private. Not sure there is much if any demand.

With the concern that you have, I have no idea why you are taking your car. Sounds like you wont be happy...and thats a lot to spend with the thought that forever in the back of your mind, you feel that TM (likely) had some sort of breakdown in their quality control process.

- - - Updated - - -

sure - at best 50%. That said, value is market driven...I wonder what the market would actually be willing to spend for them - they certainly cant pop them into new cars, so the market would have to be private. Not sure there is much if any demand.

There are a couple people, myself included, who would be willing (and have said so on this forum) to replace their seats on cars that are 1.5-2+ years old with these seats. Not saying it will be a big money maker for TM but there will be a market.

I am hopeful that the majority of the failure is in communications, and that the car will be in acceptable condition. I was and still am excited for the P85D, but I do not have rose colored glasses about the delivery experience.

Note that I *still* have not received my finance paperwork, after asking for it numerous times over several WEEKS now. The car is supposed to be delivered on either Wednesday or Friday. It is things like this that make it very hard to keep confidence in individual attention to detail. Realistically, the car production has little to do with the delivery process, and I am hopeful that the car will be as great as I hoped it would be, and communication turns out to be the entirety of the problem. If I do end up walking away, it will be after seeing some major problem in person.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a couple people, myself included, who would be willing (and have said so on this forum) to replace their seats on cars that are 1.5-2+ years old with these seats. Not saying it will be a big money maker for TM but there will be a market.
+ Loaner/Test Drive cars.

Last edited:
those front seats look like next gen to me

Definitely not.

randompersonx is correct.

The easiest way to tell the next gen seats from the others, at least in my mind, is by the vertical seam in the middle that's present on the older seats but not on the next gen seats. If you go to the teslamotors.com site and look at the two seat options you can look at the differences. That vertical seam jumped out at me as something easy to spot. The size of the bolsters, of course is another big difference, but looking at just one seat it might be hard to judge size. The seam or lack of the seam is a dead give-away.

There are always exceptions. That said, I dont think that TM is gonna break even on this one...which was my point. Everyone keeps talking about their raw deal, but no one was bringing up the fact that this is an expense that TM will be eating to accommodate customer sat. I paid for the NG seats and I actually think its a pretty good option that they took the time to come up with this as insurance so that people get their cars on time for a 2014 close.

I think the side effect will be great for people like yourself that want access to those seats. I just dont see it as a profit center for TM...its gonna cost them dearly Im sure. Not crying for them; just providing that perspective that wasnt there (at least that i saw).

What do you have now? Here (Chicago) we only have 200A (or less) panels common for 1Φ power... they do 400A with two 200A runs to the meter. I had a new run to the garage done for 100A, but waiting for the spring to upgrade the panel off the meter to use both chargers onboard... if there is an option for a 320A box I'd like to know where you get one!

Good luck, they look sharp installed.

i think 200 but we have a mother-in-law basement so double oven, wall heaters, electric range, washer/dryer etc. so max load is past the current set up. We have 2 boxes now.

There are always exceptions. That said, I dont think that TM is gonna break even on this one...which was my point. Everyone keeps talking about their raw deal, but no one was bringing up the fact that this is an expense that TM will be eating to accommodate customer sat.

Tesla mass produced (and installed) seats before testing them. Tesla needs these cars delivered before 12/31 more for their benefit than for ours due to their quarterly filing issues. Tesla set the delivery date of "December".

The reason they are pushing them out with these seats is for their benefit, not for generosity.

I don't believe this was a minor issue with the seats -- there must have been a safety issue so serious that the car could not be shipped this way.

I'm not faulting them too much for delivering with the wrong seats as long as they do make the swaps in a proper timeline, but it's not a huge act of generosity -- it's just the logical conclusion for THEIR needs.

Tesla mass produced (and installed) seats before testing them. Tesla needs these cars delivered before 12/31 more for their benefit than for ours due to their quarterly filing issues. Tesla set the delivery date of "December".

The reason they are pushing them out with these seats is for their benefit, not for generosity.

I don't believe this was a minor issue with the seats -- there must have been a safety issue so serious that the car could not be shipped this way.

I agree that they are a publicly traded company; however, I disagree that there is no thought of customer service in this act. To be true to their shareholder value they have an eye on top line revenue as well as bottom line (which hasn't been healthy in their ramp up years). There is no denying that providing 2 sets of seats to one car will affect profitability projections - it was an unforeseen cost.

If you want to see it as all one sided to their benefit, go for it. To me its not ideal for both parties concerned.

If you want to see it as all one sided to their benefit, go for it. To me its not ideal for both parties concerned.

It may not be ideal for either party involved, but it was 100% Tesla's fault, so it makes sense that Tesla take 100% of the responsibility for it. As customers, we did nothing wrong by expecting our cars to be delivered as ordered by the dates they were promised. For us to expect some sort of concession from Tesla for that not happening, even if it is just something tenuous in the future, is, in my opinion, not out of line. For you to suggest that because Tesla is also losing money in this situation, we should be satisfied with getting nothing, is, again, in my opinion, somewhat off the mark. They delivered less than they promised. Not by much. This is not the end of the world, and as I wrote earlier, I'm fine with thinking that at some point, when I need something, Tesla will come through for me because of this. But to suggest that Tesla was not at all in the wrong here just rubs me the wrong way.

It may not be ideal for either party involved, but it was 100% Tesla's fault, so it makes sense that Tesla take 100% of the responsibility for it. As customers, we did nothing wrong by expecting our cars to be delivered as ordered by the dates they were promised. For us to expect some sort of concession from Tesla for that not happening, even if it is just something tenuous in the future, is, in my opinion, not out of line. For you to suggest that because Tesla is also losing money in this situation, we should be satisfied with getting nothing, is, again, in my opinion, somewhat off the mark. They delivered less than they promised. Not by much. This is not the end of the world, and as I wrote earlier, I'm fine with thinking that at some point, when I need something, Tesla will come through for me because of this. But to suggest that Tesla was not at all in the wrong here just rubs me the wrong way.

I won't disagree. But I'll also expect that when I see Tesla go above and beyond for a customer, where the situation is completely of the customer's doing, then I'll see posts suggesting that the customer needs to do more for Tesla.

I think a lot of us think of this as more of a relationship with Tesla - I can say it's definitely been a two-way street for me and while there are times Tesla has benefited more than I have, there are also times where I've been the recipient. At the end of the day, it's been more than even and I'm a happy customer. If you try to break it down to each specific event, it just becomes a big quibble-fest. And those aren't all that much fun.

:)

I think a lot of us think of this as more of a relationship with Tesla - I can say it's definitely been a two-way street for me and while there are times Tesla has benefited more than I have, there are also times where I've been the recipient. At the end of the day, it's been more than even and I'm a happy customer. If you try to break it down to each specific event, it just becomes a big quibble-fest. And those aren't all that much fun.

:)

The relationship aspect of it was exactly what I was getting at in this most recent post, as well as in the first one I made on the topic a while ago. I agree completely.