Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a new one... received a call from Tesla today saying that I can't have different coloured wheels for my winter and summer set. When asked why it was to "streamline production". I wanted the grey for winter and the silver for summer. So I switched them to both silver because I don't really care that much and prefer the silver but that's a pretty odd request considering it really has little to do with the "production" of the vehicle.

That does not make ANY sense to me. I ordered 2 cars (one with silver and the other with grey rims) hopefully I won't get the same call that both cars have to have the same rims or the same exterior color. If I do, I am cancelling both cars.
That's unlikely but they might be part of different build batches if there is such a thing. It does seem very odd to me, and given how long the order has been confirmed, a bit cheeky. Maybe they are being incentivized to find efficiencies and now they are clutching at straws, even at the risk of annoying customers or having customers cancel options.

Here's a new one... received a call from Tesla today saying that I can't have different coloured wheels for my winter and summer set. When asked why it was to "streamline production". I wanted the grey for winter and the silver for summer. So I switched them to both silver because I don't really care that much and prefer the silver but that's a pretty odd request considering it really has little to do with the "production" of the vehicle.

This makes absolutely no sense... I wonder what the logic is.

Ummm... What? I would escalate this. It doesn't make any sense what so ever. The only thing wrong will be the graphic of your car on the 17". I think someone has their wires crossed. They don't even offer a grey snow package!

@ jgdixon

Before seeing your reply, I called the Mississauga SC and they confirmed what you had heard and shared with us. Now there are two witnesses! I plan now on buying the 19" rims and TPMS's and taking them to Kal Tire to get the Hakka R2's installed (I purchased the tires last month). As long as I can purchase the rims, I will then be cancelling my Winter Tire Package that I purchased that was going to come with the car from what Fremont Sales told me.
FYI I don't think the winter package comes from the factory, I think they are added here.
I would be interested to know what they quote you for the rims on their own. The full package sure had a good price.
I bought nearly new factory rims here on the market place.

Ummm... What? I would escalate this. It doesn't make any sense what so ever. The only thing wrong will be the graphic of your car on the 17". I think someone has their wires crossed. They don't even offer a grey snow package!

Actually, in the configurator when you select 21" rims for summer if you then select the 21" Winter Package it states that the rims will be matched to your summer rims.

FYI I don't think the winter package comes from the factory, I think they are added here.
I would be interested to know what they quote you for the rims on their own. The full package sure had a good price.
I bought nearly new factory rims here on the market place.

@ jgdixon

Another example of everyone at Tesla not having their information straight I guess. I called Fremont sales last week to change to the 21" Summer rims and they asked if I wanted to have the 21's on the car or the 19" Winters. I had said the Winters and the rep said the 21's would then be shipped in the back of the P85D. I think it makes sense that the rims/tires would be sourced at the SC versus shipping with the car, but again this is not what they told me.

That's interesting since you entered production 11/21... wonder why some that also entered production on 11/21 were already done on 12/26 and others (including yours) aren't.

Good question. Mine did enter production later in the day than others did on 11/21. Assuming the factory wasn't open on 11/22 or 11/23, today is actually "Day 5" of production so still within the usual timetable.