Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Piecing it all together, I think this is the situation:

1st batch of P85D with production 11/21-11/26 got built with defective Next Gen seats. These cars are sitting at the factory waiting for replacement Next Gen seats, but those with travel plans or cross-country deliveries are being offered the option to take delivery with regular seats now with retrofit next month when the replacements are available. I haven't been called yet, so perhaps they think the replacement seats for my car will be ready by the end of the year.
2nd batch of P85D with production 12/1 week and later are built with newer Next Gen seats (issue resolved) and are following the standard 5 day production cycle. These will be delivered in December at the usual pace and timelines.

I went into production on 12/06 - told that had just entered paint yesterday. Really weird how slow it is going through the process, like some are fast tracked, and they know I have had travel plans end last week of the month since I placed my order.

1st batch of P85D with production 11/21-11/26 got built with defective Next Gen seats. These cars are sitting at the factory waiting for replacement Next Gen seats, but those with travel plans or cross-country deliveries are being offered the option to take delivery with regular seats now with retrofit next month when the replacements are available. I haven't been called yet, so perhaps they think the replacement seats for my car will be ready by the end of the year.
2nd batch of P85D with production 12/1 week and later are built with newer Next Gen seats (issue resolved) and are following the standard 5 day production cycle. These will be delivered in December at the usual pace and timelines.

That's a reasonable theory but I suspect the issue was about availability of seats rather than defective ones. Once you start a car down the production line it's almost impossible to pull it off to the side, so you produce with what you have and try to fix it afterwards; reworking cars in the current hectic environment isn't easy and pulls folks off the production line which in turn slows that down etc. It makes much more sense to see if customers want to take delivery and have the Service Center techs follow up after year-end.

What they should probably do is get rid of all status updates on our Tesla profiles. Instead of reserved -> queue -> production -> complete, it should just be "we've received your order and will contact you when we have a delivery date".

Oh no, they should add more detail. Like attaching a streaming video feed from the driver seat area of the chassis of each car the entire way through production and testing. :D

What they should probably do is get rid of all status updates on our Tesla profiles. Instead of reserved -> queue -> production -> complete, it should just be "we've received your order and will contact you when we have a delivery date".

I understand the frustration because when I was waiting on my Model S back in 2012 there were no updates at all and folks around here were tearing their hair out. ;-)

Congrats MarcG! Nice to finally have a confirmed delivery.

I find it interesting that people have had cars go in later than the first batch that are now showing completed. My car went into production on the 24th and still shows it's in production. Two possibilities in my head- 1) Dashboard is out of whack since the delay and my car is done. 2) The early cars had issues that are still being fixed which were eliminated when later cars were going down the line.

Yeah, this is what really scares me.... I think it's probably #2 as well and very much hope I'm wrong, but I'm buying this car to keep for quite a while and I don't want a hand-built machine that's going to have recurrent issues :redface:

That's a reasonable theory but I suspect the issue was about availability of seats rather than defective ones. Once you start a car down the production line it's almost impossible to pull it off to the side, so you produce with what you have and try to fix it afterwards; reworking cars in the current hectic environment isn't easy and pulls folks off the production line which in turn slows that down etc. It makes much more sense to see if customers want to take delivery and have the Service Center techs follow up after year-end.

Where does that leave me?! In prod since 11/25 and with a travel-related deadline of 12/21. They must have a shortage of textile seats too :)

@MarcG, really happy for you! Car looks fantastic and yeah, more sig-red-like in that lighting. Looking forward to a full report!

Trying not to hyperventilate ;)

My car went into production on 12/09, and it just went into production complete today on 12/12. So 3-days to complete the car. I think that's a new record.
teslacomplete.jpg

I can't get a handle on how the whole process works. I was given the impression that production was very linear and that it was difficult to pull a car out of line. My car started production last Saturday (12/6) and I am being told by my DS that it has been in the paint shop for the last 3 days. Is his information likely erroneous, or do they pull cars aside if there is a flaw in the paint? Thanks

On one hand, although some who started production this past Monday are complete....I am still in production.
But on the other hand, the delivery date of Late December which has been my constant companion these many weeks......has suddenly changed to simply December.
Do not know what to read into this, but I am taking it as a positive sign.

Been in production since 12/05, my expected delivery date has been pushed from December to Late December, VIN 64190. Given that it's 12/12, which was the original delivery target, that makes sense :)

I think that all the various statuses that people are getting are all erroneous. I think any of us that started production more than a week ago are probably done and sitting somewhere for whatever it is they are waiting on.
I'm feeling a follow-up to Andrew's letter might be imminent - I'm certainly brewing up some words, just might take a couple of hours to make them diplomatic.