Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yak-55 I don't really see anything to add - you've obviously followed things closely and I don't see anything in your summation that I can dispute.

Having said that, I took delivery and in spite of all the short comings/perceived short comings it is a fantastic automobile and arguably unmatched for the price even as is.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

So far nobody has actually presented a comparison of the P 85 and P85 D on the same wheel and tire set up. Perhaps either a P85+ and a D can be compared or possibly someone has an extra set of non staggered wheels to slap on their D to get an apples to apples data collection. Sounds like there is probably some firmware change coming, but I think it's very misleading that people are posting these pseudo scientific side by side testings without the same wheels and tires.

The difference between my P85 and my fiance's P85 with 19's vs 21's respectively was only ~9%... and the P85D has 21's with slightly wider rear's, so I think a difference between her P85 and my P85D would be no more than the 9% seen between our two P85s... instead it's closer to 25%.

Since wheel size isn't really a factor here (21's vs 21's) we're talking slight differences in tires, which can no way account for a 25% increase in energy usage. If It did then the tires should just catch on fire due to eating thousands of watts of power. ~100 Wh/mi increase at 65 MPH = 6.5kW additional usage while driving... or 1.625kW per tire... pretty sure my tires are not putting off 1.6kW of heat while driving, sorry. lol.

The difference between my P85 and my fiance's P85 with 19's vs 21's respectively was only ~9%... and the P85D has 21's with slightly wider rear's, so I think a difference between her P85 and my P85D would be no more than the 9% seen between our two P85s... instead it's closer to 25%.

Since wheel size isn't really a factor here (21's vs 21's) we're talking slight differences in tires, which can no way account for a 25% increase in energy usage. If It did then the tires should just catch on fire due to eating thousands of watts of power. ~100 Wh/mi increase at 65 MPH = 6.5kW additional usage while driving... or 1.625kW per tire... pretty sure my tires are not putting off 1.6kW of heat while driving, sorry. lol.

Understood. I do believe there is more to the story that tires and staggered wheels. My point is simply that it seems the data could be much stronger than what has been presented this far, and even more compelling to Tesla that they are not providing what they claimed. As I stated above I imagine it is true there is some sort of firmware update that tells the car how to properly mesh the two motors for maximum efficiency for a given speed.

(Also I would like to say I think it's cute when P85D owners call themselves "early adopters". Y'all are just adorable)

yak-55 I don't really see anything to add - you've obviously followed things closely and I don't see anything in your summation that I can dispute.

Having said that, I took delivery and in spite of all the short comings/perceived short comings it is a fantastic automobile and arguably unmatched for the price even as is.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

Yak-55 not to muddy the waters but I cancelled the P85D you see in my signature for exactly what you posted. Of course, I already have a Tesla to drive, and I am getting the P85 for a second Tesla in the family. That does , at least, allow me the pleasure and joy of the car; missing the D's speed launches will not that crucial a loss. All things considered, not having the "D" on the rear will be just fine with me. I suspect the next one I buy will be a 110.

For the life of me I don't understand the point of belaboring the range comparisons between the P85D and the P85(+) when Normal mode is obviously missing. How can these experiments shed any light on what our range expectations should be for the P85D in Normal mode?

IMO the only insight we have on what to expect is a rating of 250 miles of range on 19's in the EPA mixed mode test and 94 MPGe rating on the EPA Highway test. If Tesla can't achieve that in a version of the software that is production hardened they will have to revise their EPA numbers which would be a HUGE black eye. They will move heaven and earth to not have to do that albeit while still being subject to the laws of physics.

That said, I'm extremely glad that the data collection thus far now has the attention of Jerome.

Gorgeous. Did anyone forego the red calipers or just me? I somehow like the grey turbines without them :)

I passed on the red and stuck with gray.

986e32e670c28a505e4aeaa99cf588c0.jpg

For the life of me I don't understand the point of belaboring the range comparisons between the P85D and the P85(+) when Normal mode is obviously missing. How can these experiments shed any light on what our range expectations should be for the P85D in Normal mode?

IMO the only insight we have on what to expect is a rating of 250 miles of range on 19's in the EPA mixed mode test and 94 MPGe rating on the EPA Highway test. If Tesla can't achieve that in a version of the software that is production hardened they will have to revise their EPA numbers which would be a HUGE black eye. They will move heaven and earth to not have to do that albeit while still being subject to the laws of physics.

That said, I'm extremely glad that the data collection thus far now has the attention of Jerome.

Honestly I could care less what mode is missing or whatever else is in a software update that may or may not exist, and most importantly is not in the car that I bought and paid for. Some future "Normal" mode that magically increases efficiency is not helping me today in the vehicle that was bought and where the advertised range is no where close to being met. The advertised range does not and never has said, "Not yet achievable, will be possible after a software update X months after you purchase the vehicle." So, yeah, going to have to say I don't give a crap about something like this that doesn't exist in my car yet.

That said, comparisons between the P85D *as it has been delivered* and any other models are 100% valid.

Please give the official source that "normal mode" is coming

I was at the model D event along with thousands of people. Elon clearly said there would be 3 modes including "NORMAL"

furthermore, We've seen tweets from Elon that says this higher efficiency mode is coming. Let's all give tesla a little breathing room here to work out whatever tweaks they need to before releasing it.

Tesla is one of the only manufacturers I've seen that constantly improves the existing car you already have (via firmware updates). I'm blown away by the improvements to my car in nearly two years of ownership.

In his P85D introduction talk, Elon clearly stated there are 3 modes: Normal, Sport and Insane. I have no doubt normal mode will come - why would someone have only sport and insane modes? All other cars from BMW / MB/ Audi have a comfort mode. I would suspect in Normal mode, steering will be adjustable too - seems only logical.

Let's see, there was a tweet from Elon, since taken down, saying that owners did not yet have the software that maximized range. The P85D that was shown at the launch event, had 3 modes, not 2. There is a Monroney sticker on every P85D delivered that shows 242 miles of range with 21" tires and an MPGe of 94, clearly not possible with the version of software delivered. That is enough evidence for me that software that provides better P85D efficiency is forthcoming.

I expect that for the next 75 1/2 hours Tesla will be focused on delivering as many new cars as possible so they can meet the expectations they set for Q4. So we may have to wait a bit to get word from the official source. And yes that sucks for P85D owners and Tesla screwed this up badly. But I'm confident they will make it right.

Remember the uproar when they forced an update to every car in a 48 hour period to defeat auto-lowering? Remember the brouhaha that followed, with owners irate that Tesla took something away from them? And later they gave it back and made it user configurable. And most people forgot about it. And we all lived happily ever after until the next incident that showed it is impossible to be perfect when you take on a task as daunting as Tesla has. But my next car is a P85D to be delivered in February, and the one after that will be another Tesla I'm sure. Keep the faith.

I think it's replace by EPA 250 miles, isn't it?

Is stating 285 on the order page considered an official source?

View attachment 67380

- - - Updated - - -

Elon took his tweets down and also there is no mention of "normal mode" in his tweets. I wouldn't consider Elon's speech as VERY official TM source, otherwise too many things unfulfilled.

I was at the model D event along with thousands of people. Elon clearly said there would be 3 modes including "NORMAL"

furthermore, We've seen tweets from Elon that says this higher efficiency mode is coming. Let's all give tesla a little breathing room here to work out whatever tweaks they need to before releasing it.

Tesla is one of the only manufacturers I've seen that constantly improves the existing car you already have (via firmware updates). I'm blown away by the improvements to my car in nearly two years of ownership.

Elon took his tweets down and also there is no mention of "normal mode" in his tweets. I wouldn't consider Elon's speech as VERY official TM source, otherwise too many things unfulfilled.

Here is Elon's exact language from the P85D introduction: "In the options selection, you'll be able to choose [between] three settings: Normal. Sport. And Insane. Yeah, it will actually say 'In-sane.'"

Read more: 2015 Tesla Model S P85D First Test - Motor Trend