Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D Next Generation Seats Delivery Thread

P85D Next Gen Seat Retrofits

• Keep what I got - Non Next Gen Front + Rear - I want the $2k credit

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Keep what I got - Next Gen Front + Non Next Gen Rear

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front + Rear

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front - Keep Non Next Gen Rears

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
As if we didn't have enough tracking, delivery and general complaint threads I thought I'd start another one.

This one is for those of us waiting on the Next Generation Recaro Seats to be retrofitted in our new P85D. I got the Nappa Seats in mine (both front and back) and while they are actually nice seats (love the feel of the leather compared to my previous performance seats) i can't wait to get the seats I ordered (and paid for).

I would think that unless Tesla has just completely written off all the seats (Nappa, Performance and others) that they have "temporarily" installed in hundreds of cars that it would behoove them to get the next gen seats to us as quickly as possible in order to minimize the wear and tear on the seats they will be repossessing.

My DS could not give me any indication on a time frame as to when I could expect to get the seats. Frankly, I'd rather that answer than just a wild a$$ guess that has little chance of being correct. Please post any definitive information you may have or you may get as to when we can expect to get our Next Generation Seats...

Mike

I'm in Alaska and learned my P85D that finished production yesterday will have front next gen seats and old style rears. What a huge shipping expense (both ways) along with flying a ranger here... I'm not complaining, whatsoever, but just acknowledging the logistics involved.

I'm in Alaska and learned my P85D that finished production yesterday will have front next gen seats and old style rears. What a huge shipping expense (both ways) along with flying a ranger here... I'm not complaining, whatsoever, but just acknowledging the logistics involved.

Guess I was wrong! My awesome DS in Seattle snapped these for me before my P85D's boat ride north:

99817455b9c234f1a2611b8c80fce582.jpg

7b8e1939709ec966ea86a5179d7f1d95.jpg

No heated steering wheel for my Alaskan fingertips, though! :p

Guess I was wrong! My awesome DS in Seattle snapped these for me before my P85D's boat ride north:

No heated steering wheel for my Alaskan fingertips, though! :p

Congrats! I don't know why Alaskan cars have no heated steering wheel, though I heard it was because they come through Seattle. I picked up mine there and was told no PacNW cars get heated steering wheels "currently", though the DS' continue to plead the case

I am among those who received next gen in front and nappa in the rear. Because I don't normally carry rear passengers and because the next gen rear seats block the view out the rear view mirror, I'm questioning having the rear seats installed at all.

One thing to do is to test drive a P85D with next gen rears before I have the new seats put in.

What do you think?

I am among those who received next gen in front and nappa in the rear. Because I don't normally carry rear passengers and because the next gen rear seats block the view out the rear view mirror, I'm questioning having the rear seats installed at all.

One thing to do is to test drive a P85D with next gen rears before I have the new seats put in.

What do you think?
I would probably consider this too. Not sure about the rear bolsters on the odd occasions I have people back there.

It would probably benefit Tesla if they allowed that option for recent new cars and future orders. Are the rear headrests soft enough to lean into, or kinda hard. The angle doesn't appear to conform to most people's neck angle.

- - - Updated - - -

I just took delivery of my pearl white P85D with next gen black seats in both front and rear.

Could you possibly post interior photos, especially showing the doors, dash and ceiling? Is yours all black throughout?

Interesting question. You could also make the argument to get back 3/5.

I posed the same question to my DS, he said that you absolutely get some money back, but wasn't sure how much of it. I would suspect that the price of the front bucket seats are higher per person than the back row (electric seat adjustment mechanism, more material per seat, heating apparatus). Either way, I'm leaning towards keeping the older back row seats, mainly due to visibility issues.

I posed the same question to my DS, he said that you absolutely get some money back, but wasn't sure how much of it. I would suspect that the price of the front bucket seats are higher per person than the back row (electric seat adjustment mechanism, more material per seat, heating apparatus). Either way, I'm leaning towards keeping the older back row seats, mainly due to visibility issues.

Well, the electric seat adjustment mechanism and heating apparatus shouldn't factor in. Those would be the same in whichever seat level you chose. So if the Next Gen cost, say $2000 more than the level below it, the level below it was configured the same way mechanically. So that $2000 difference is basically just for the better leather.

If there is more leather, and more work that goes into making the front seats than the back seats, that's a different story. I was mainly playing devil's advocate bringing up the 3/5 argument. I just want to point out that the value of stuff like the seat adjustability and heating shouldn't factor in at all.

Well, the electric seat adjustment mechanism and heating apparatus shouldn't factor in. Those would be the same in whichever seat level you chose. So if the Next Gen cost, say $2000 more than the level below it, the level below it was configured the same way mechanically. So that $2000 difference is basically just for the better leather.

If there is more leather, and more work that goes into making the front seats than the back seats, that's a different story. I was mainly playing devil's advocate bringing up the 3/5 argument. I just want to point out that the value of stuff like the seat adjustability and heating shouldn't factor in at all.
I think he is talking about the power adjustments in the front seats that aren't in the back. In addition I would suggest that there is more leather in the front and it is more labor intensive to make those seats.

next gen backseats are more complex to manufacure (more sewings ect) and some of the extra cost goes properbly to recaro. front seats have properbly same/simillar complexity as old performance seats. so I guess Andyw2000 have a point.
main difrence is labor due to coplexity/material - since both old and new have same tech.

Im from europe, and guess that I will recive my car with next gen in both front and rear.
but if Tesla offered it/ask, I would consider downgrade the backseats (at some discount.) - to me the old backsea (and front for that matter) seats was just perfect.

btw. I wish the middle headrest was same (low) hight as the old type, this way there would be more rear view visability .

I think he is talking about the power adjustments in the front seats that aren't in the back. In addition I would suggest that there is more leather in the front and it is more labor intensive to make those seats.

We're not talking about someone buying front seats and not back seats.

We're talking about someone paying the upgrade price for upgrading from one kind of front seat to a better kind of front seat, while not paying to upgrade to the better kind of back seat. But in this case, both the better and the lesser front seats have the same mechanical components. And unless the Next Gen are significantly different, the added complexity of the front over the back is also probably similar. Unless there is more added complexity in the Next Gen front than in the lesser front, the added complexity is also a non-issue.