Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D Next Generation Seats Delivery Thread

P85D Next Gen Seat Retrofits

• Keep what I got - Non Next Gen Front + Rear - I want the $2k credit

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Keep what I got - Next Gen Front + Non Next Gen Rear

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front + Rear

Votes: 75 82.4%
  • Get the Next Gen Seats Front - Keep Non Next Gen Rears

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMAG2003_zpswslmzd3e.jpg

IMAG2004_zpsktlaoezz.jpg
These do not look like next gen rear seats to me. They next gen have a horizontal seam.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 68578
This is a pic from the design studio, note the different stitching, larger center headrest and the bolsters on the seats and seat backs.

Thank for the clarification on this Dennis...from the design studio pics (which have now changed), it looked like the head restraints on the Next Gen seats were higher than the "non-Next Gen / performance seats...

@ John D...that's what I thought when I first looked at them in the design studio...it would be nice to get a definitive answer on this because if the Next Gen's are in fact higher, I'd be happy to keep the old style seats as I don't want to further hamper rear visibility...I wish the Toronto store had an actual car with the rear Next Gens so we could judge as opposed to trying to guess from pictures...

FYI Jerome did reply and said it was a very interesting idea and he would get back to me.

Excellent. Tesla does no advertising, but do they also avoid focus group concept testing? This kind of thing might escape internal and supplier engineers, but seems like consumers could help with some of the design features like headrests, color schemes, etc.

The lack of rear visibility really bugs me so I now drive with the rear seats folded down. Most of my miles are alone or with my girlfriend so it's not an inconvenience generally speaking.

So you're driving again. That's good to hear. I asked in the other thread, but perhaps you didn't see it: what wound up happening with respect to your service issue?

Thanks!

The lack of rear visibility really bugs me so I now drive with the rear seats folded down. Most of my miles are alone or with my girlfriend so it's not an inconvenience generally speaking.

I was driving yestarday thinking that an entirely digital rear view mirror would work better for most vehicles. You could provide a wider angle view which would not be blocked by cargo or passengers. Mounting the camera(s) would be tricky though because it could get covered in snow and ice.

I was driving yestarday thinking that an entirely digital rear view mirror would work better for most vehicles. You could provide a wider angle view which would not be blocked by cargo or passengers. Mounting the camera(s) would be tricky though because it could get covered in snow and ice.

Well, you sort of have that now - just press the "Camera" button on the center console and you can use your backup camera while driving as a digital rear view mirror. It even has a reasonably wide angle. However, it is indeed subject to getting covered with snow and ice. And rain. And dirt...

Has anybody noticed that in the picture of the seats in the configurator displays the same backseats in every option, even for the nextgen seats?

When I ordered my car the picture showed the nextgen backseats

What is going on, and what should I expect to get??

Skærmbillede 2015-01-14 kl. 14.20.06.png
tesla-seats-2.jpg

Attachments

• ms_stud_seat_pbsb.png
    ms_stud_seat_pbsb.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 692
Last edited:
Go car yesterday NG Seats front and back.

View attachment 69215View attachment 69216
This is what I still expect to be delivered to me. As written in another thread I thankfully saved the original pdf from mytesla since the current one has the same standard-seats in the back.

If you go to the "view design"-button in my tesla does it show old or new seats?

This is what I still expect to be delivered to me. As written in another thread I thankfully saved the original pdf from mytesla since the current one has the same standard-seats in the back.

If you go to the "view design"-button in my tesla does it show old or new seats?

Check and it indeed shows the old seats in the back. Very happy that I got the new ones :)

Check and it indeed shows the old seats in the back. Very happy that I got the new ones :)

Very interesting indeed. I called Tesla Ownership and they confirmed that for new orders starting this week, only front next-gen seats will be delivered.

When I asked why the change, they said that "due to feedback about the next-generation rear seats, we decided to discontinue them for new orders".

Sounds like the feedback wasn't good. So I'd also like to know:

Has anyone with the new seats had 3 adults sit in the back for a long drive? Feedback?

EDIT - I started a new thread to discuss this here:
Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours

Last edited:
Apologize for the cross post... I also posted this to the Next-gen REAR seats no longer available for new orders, please post feedback on yours thread.

Some people believe Tesla has "changed" PDFs in the "My Tesla" section of the web site. I don't believe they updated any PDFs because I don't believe they store the PDFs themselves.

Playing with the URL and the web site and response time and more, I believe they generate the PDF every time you click the button. Furthermore, the internal "metadata" inside the PDF shows a create date/time stamp that matches California time for when you click the button. Each time.

I further conclude that the photo of the rear seat did not "Change" for people's committed orders... it is simply being pulled from the photo file on disk each and every time we click for a PDF. When the design studio was updated, I believe that same photo now gets pulled into our PDFs each time they are generated.

Therefore, we need someone at Tesla to officially state the status of existing, pending, orders. Do we get the Next-Gen rear seats or not?