TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Tracking Permit and Construction of SuperChargers over time

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by HillCountryFun, May 2, 2016.

1. HillCountryFun

Aug 20, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    #1 HillCountryFun, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    All, I've been wondering about how permitting and construction of SuperChargers in North America has changed over the last few years. I've leveraged BlueShifts data at and tried to recreate these metrics over time. It's a bit difficult as I can only use his "Changes" to derive the values. So, they might be off a bit but I believe they are directionally correct.

So, apart from my notes in the image above here are my conclusions:

1. Data before 2014 is sketchy
    2. Tesla held permits constant and ramped up construction toward the end of 2014
    3. Tesla dropped off of permits and construction towards the end of 2015
    4. <And the good news> Tesla has ramped up permits in the Spring of 2016 and as we've seen at the end of 2015, Tesla is capable of employing quite a few construction crews to crank out new SuperCharger sites.
    I'm hoping that we're at the beginning of a huge SuperCharger rollout designed to support the massive number of Tesla vehicles already on and about to hit the road:
    • < 2016 - 100,000 S's!
    • 2016 - An additional 80,000 S's and X's!
    • 2017 - And another 125,000 S's, X's and 3's!
    Clearly, it is time for them to "Crank it up!"

Thoughts anyone?
  2. jvonbokel

jvonbokel John VonBokel

Nov 5, 2012
    Belleville (St Louis)
    I like your analysis, but I can't see your embedded image.

TMC Error - permission to view media.png

Note that you may want to use the "Upload a File" button (below the editing dialog) for the sake of simplicity.
  3. emupilot

emupilot Member

May 23, 2013
    Northern California
    I judge the relative activity by adding up the number in permitting + under construction on Less than 20 (like earlier this year and late 2015) is slow, and greater than 30 (like now) is a brisk pace. Permit + construction may have briefly hit 40 during the initial bicoastal + cross-country build-out - I think that is about as high as it has ever been.