Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking progress of EVs into Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aug 2015 Provisional Numbers Updated, 185 EV added

Capture.PNG

As at end of August 2015, there are 2650 EVs for road use, up from less than 100 in end 2010. At present, 44 EV models from seven countries have been type-approved by the Transport Department (TD). These include 31 models for private cars and motorcycles, 13 models for public transport and commercial vehicles, listed as follows.

Thanks lx3h. Do we know whether there has been an uptick in EV as a percentage of new cars registered? I think markwj mentioned earlier this year that it was one in 10?
I ask because from TD's perspective, an EV is better than an ICE, but it's still an additional private car on the road. They have a "larger agenda", which is to decrease the number of private cars (whether EVs or ICEs) in Hong Kong.
Transport Bureaus responsibility is to curb growth in car numbers: Loh | South China Morning Post

Thanks lx3h. Do we know whether there has been an uptick in EV as a percentage of new cars registered? I think markwj mentioned earlier this year that it was one in 10?
I ask because from TD's perspective, an EV is better than an ICE, but it's still an additional private car on the road. They have a "larger agenda", which is to decrease the number of private cars (whether EVs or ICEs) in Hong Kong.
Transport Bureaus responsibility is to curb growth in car numbers: Loh | South China Morning Post

Well, I did some calculations here, not exactly the ones your wanted but if you want, they are not hard to be calculated.
Locky's English Playground: Auto & Environment: EV Numbers and Growth In Hong Kong As Of June/July 2015

The figures I had were 6% average for the past year. There was a high in January of 10%.

It has been voiced that people are buying EVs as an extra car, and that is contributing to the problem. Apart from the lack of any evidence to suggest that, it is also a dumb comment seeing as if that was the case (extra car) then only one car would be on the road at any one time. Even if this were to be the case, such extra cars would surely impact parking congestion, but would have no impact on roadside congestion, and a beneficial impact on roadside pollution.

With regard to roadside pollution, the goal should be to ensuring that 100% of new private cars are EVs. That way, the incremental impact of new cars to roadside emissions will be zero. Not so much stopping new cars, just stopping new roadside polluting cars.

Of course, we all know that the impact of private cars, compared to the dirty commercial and public transportation fleets, is tiny. But, converting the private fleet is an achievable goal (see norway, etc), as the cars are available today. Converting the commercial and public transportation fleets will take investment in charging infrastructure and needs more variety in available vehicles.

The figures I had were 6% average for the past year. There was a high in January of 10%.

It has been voiced that people are buying EVs as an extra car, and that is contributing to the problem. Apart from the lack of any evidence to suggest that, it is also a dumb comment seeing as if that was the case (extra car) then only one car would be on the road at any one time. Even if this were to be the case, such extra cars would surely impact parking congestion, but would have no impact on roadside congestion, and a beneficial impact on roadside pollution.

With regard to roadside pollution, the goal should be to ensuring that 100% of new private cars are EVs. That way, the incremental impact of new cars to roadside emissions will be zero. Not so much stopping new cars, just stopping new roadside polluting cars.

Of course, we all know that the impact of private cars, compared to the dirty commercial and public transportation fleets, is tiny. But, converting the private fleet is an achievable goal (see norway, etc), as the cars are available today. Converting the commercial and public transportation fleets will take investment in charging infrastructure and needs more variety in available vehicles.

Mark, I think our homework is to prepare a list of arguments to be used for lobbying with the government in the future.

Mark, I think our homework is to prepare a list of arguments to be used for lobbying with the government in the future.

The questions I am hearing (from those sources) are very scary. Mostly politically motivated.

It really pisses me off when this is the environment we are talking about. We need practical solution to a practical problem, not hit points to get someone (re-)elected.

Checking progress of EVs into Hong Kong, I compared end of July 2014 with end of July 2015.

In that time, private car registrations increased by 24,729. Of those, 1,741 were EVs, so we had a penetration of just over 7% for the past year. Not too bad, and I felt happy about that one.

Then, checked the figures for diesel private cars. Same period. 2,041 diesel private cars registered. 8.2%. Feeling sick. :crying:

vw.jpg

Sep 2015 Provisional Numbers Updated, 239 EV added

As at end of September 2015, there are 2889 EVs for road use, up from less than 100 in end 2010. At present, 45 EV models from seven countries have been type-approved by the Transport Department (TD). These include 31 models for private cars and motorcycles, 14 models for public transport and commercial vehicles

as.PNG

Added new columns for future analysis

Last edited: