Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking progress of EVs into Hong Kong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many of those new 500 EV's are Teslas, I think a big chunk of them. Everyone on this HK forum is seeing more and more Teslas daily. They are everywhere.

One thing I'm wondering is I noticed in Shanghai a huge number of scooters are now EVs but I haven't seen that trend in HK yet. Why hasn't HK adopted scooters as EVs? They don't have the charging infrastructure? You'd think with gov't spoken EV initiatives they would start converting gov't scooters to EV's and encourage the market place to convert over as well...

In Hong Kong, everything with a motor needs to be licensed. Electric or petrol, scooters and mopeds are not welcomed by the HKSAR - it either has to be a bike (as they know very few people will endure the summer heat and humidity), or a proper motor cycle (requiring motor cycle drivers license and fully licensed as motor cycle). Electric bikes are allowed even in Singapore, a place that otherwise regulates and prohibits even something like chewing gum and smoking. Singapore allowed pedal assist electric bikes up to 300W motors.

Hong Kong should do the same: Some kind of limit on speed and power, as well as pedal assist only (not "electric scooter").

In Shanghai (by chance I am here right now), electric bikes are all over. Silent and dark (no lights mainly), until they activate the insanely squeaky disk brakes, at the last split second before impact. On/off operation on most of them it seems, and some of them are really fast, surely not pedal assisted (not the majority, anyway). THESE very dangerous bikes are what you can find in some remote places in Hong Kong despite first offence resulting in up to 3 months in jail, second offence 6 months. So instead of having properly regulated pedal assist bikes in Hong Kong, we have illegal imports that are way too fast for a bike. And no mopeds, neither electric not petrol.

Yes, Hong Kong should have electric bikes and scooters. With pedal assist, and regen, they would be perfect here. All these hills makes ordinary bikes impractical in the summer, while with electric assist (and regen), a lot of commuting could be this way.

It seems that the preference in HK is that either you are well off and own a car, otherwise you resort to MTR/bus/taxi. No in between, black or white, choose one or the other.

In Hong Kong, everything with a motor needs to be licensed. Electric or petrol, scooters and mopeds are not welcomed by the HKSAR - it either has to be a bike (as they know very few people will endure the summer heat and humidity), or a proper motor cycle (requiring motor cycle drivers license and fully licensed as motor cycle). Electric bikes are allowed even in Singapore, a place that otherwise regulates and prohibits even something like chewing gum and smoking. Singapore allowed pedal assist electric bikes up to 300W motors.

Hong Kong should do the same: Some kind of limit on speed and power, as well as pedal assist only (not "electric scooter").

In Shanghai (by chance I am here right now), electric bikes are all over. Silent and dark (no lights mainly), until they activate the insanely squeaky disk brakes, at the last split second before impact. On/off operation on most of them it seems, and some of them are really fast, surely not pedal assisted (not the majority, anyway). THESE very dangerous bikes are what you can find in some remote places in Hong Kong despite first offence resulting in up to 3 months in jail, second offence 6 months. So instead of having properly regulated pedal assist bikes in Hong Kong, we have illegal imports that are way too fast for a bike. And no mopeds, neither electric not petrol.

Yes, Hong Kong should have electric bikes and scooters. With pedal assist, and regen, they would be perfect here. All these hills makes ordinary bikes impractical in the summer, while with electric assist (and regen), a lot of commuting could be this way.

It seems that the preference in HK is that either you are well off and own a car, otherwise you resort to MTR/bus/taxi. No in between, black or white, choose one or the other.

In HK, I see lots of Police on Motor Bikes (petrol), I was walking through some parks last weekend and saw motor bikes (petrol) that had gov't logos on them. It means there is an entire fleet of gov't motor bikes on the roads. All the delivery guys drive around the Motor bikes (petrol). This seems like an easy thing to encourage the switch from petrol motor bikes to electric motor bikes. I'm surprised Singapore allows it more than HK.

In HK, I see lots of Police on Motor Bikes (petrol), I was walking through some parks last weekend and saw motor bikes (petrol) that had gov't logos on them. It means there is an entire fleet of gov't motor bikes on the roads. All the delivery guys drive around the Motor bikes (petrol). This seems like an easy thing to encourage the switch from petrol motor bikes to electric motor bikes. I'm surprised Singapore allows it more than HK.

Electric motor bikes are fine, it's electric scooters, bikes, Segways and so on - all forbidden in reality. First time offender 3 months in the slammer, 6 months on second offence, if you are brave enough.

That's up another 507 EVs in another 2 months! We definitely need more superchargers now!

Maybe... I guess the EPD definition of "EVs in use" may be different than what we are tracking here. What we have been tracking is just private EV cars (excluding motorcycles, excluding taxis, excluding buses, excluding government vehicles, etc).

I'm working off the TD published figures, to try to get better granularity, but they haven't released December 2014 yet.

December numbers are up.

October 2014: Transport Department - October 2014
November 2014: Transport Department - November 2014
December 2014: Transport Department - December 2014

EV numbers:
August was 515 private cars, and 48 taxis.
September was 614 private cars, and 48 taxis.
October was 780 private cars, and 48 taxis.
November was 831 private cars, and 48 taxis.
December was 1,160 private cars, and 48 taxis.

So:
September: +99
October: +166
November: +51
December: +329

Numbers for taxis are unchanged at 48 total.

Numbers for electric motorcycles are creeping up, 45 -> 50 (August -> December).

Note: These figures exclude government vehicles.

To put things in perspective:

At the end of December 2013: There were a total of 317 private EV cars registered in Hong Kong.
During the month of December 2014: +329 new private EV cars were registered.

A year ago, a certain Tesla Hong Kong representative commented in an article that they would double the number of EVs on the roads in Hong Kong in 2014. Now, we know they achieved that in just 1 month of 2014! The actual number of EVs on the roads of Hong Kong almost quadrupled in 2014. Way to go: Tesla and BMW.

Some reference here : EV Sales: Hong Kong

Tesla's figure is not accurate but if the other makes are, we can do some arithmetic.

If this guy's figure about BMW is correct, then Tesla has sold about 20 times as many as i3 in my opinions.

"If Nissan's van continues to record such numbers in the near future, both BMW and Tesla (First and Second in the YTD ranking) will have to work hard to keep the e-NV200 at bay and prevent it from being #1. "

er..... what is this?

Some reference here : EV Sales: Hong Kong

Tesla's figure is not accurate but if the other makes are, we can do some arithmetic.

I've never been able to cross-reference those figures against information from other sources (including the new registrations figures from Transport Department). They different wildly. He quotes the source as HKMTA, but Tesla is not listed as a member of that organisation and I don't see any published information (unless he is getting it back-channel somehow).

I've never been able to cross-reference those figures against information from other sources (including the new registrations figures from Transport Department). They different wildly. He quotes the source as HKMTA, but Tesla is not listed as a member of that organisation and I don't see any published information (unless he is getting it back-channel somehow).
I don't trust those figures, just posted for discussion.