TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tracking range over time - adding to the battery table

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dirkhh, Mar 11, 2015.

1. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

When trying to figure out the whole A battery pack vs. later batteries issue, we created a battery table.
    I was wondering if people would be willing to add another useful dimension to this... tracking the 90% (actually, better 100% equivalent) range of the cars over time?
    We could add more columns to the table and people could enter data that would help analyze things:

Date, FW version, mileage, 100% equivalent value (if you charge to 90%, multiply the range you see by 1.11)

If we add multiple blocks of these four columns then one could get an idea what's roughly "normal" for a certain age / mileage of a car.

Thoughts? Too much work? Too many variables to control for?

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Are you familiar with tomsax's battery survey for Plug In America? Would that cover what you are looking for, or is there something else specific you want to learn?

3. dirkhh

I talked to Tom at TMC Connect in Monterrey. His data are geared towards a different question. I was hoping to get different data points for the same batteries over time. Have people update this once every six months and literally track the performance of individual cars /batteries

4. ljwobker

ljwobker Geek.

These things are always sort of hit-or-miss with regards to uptake, but the idea sounds fantastic. I've found that in this sort of model, it helps a lot to have a very specific set of "Test procedures" for people to follow... otherwise the data gets skewed...

5. dirkhh

Do you have suggestions how these procedures should look?
    Charge to 90%, range mode off, A/C on, rated miles, value right after charging finishes?
    What else needs to be specified?
    I don't want to ask people to do 100% charges, nor do I want to ask them to run the battery to a low SOC before the charge as I think this would reduce the number of contributions too much.
    But are there other easy to control for variables?

6. ljwobker

ljwobker Geek.

I think that's the right approach. The main thing (IMHO) is just to specify some set of parameters, not necessarily to get those parameters exactly correct. If 90% is the "daily" set and that's what most people use, then that makes sense as we're trying to get as much participation as possible, yes?