Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fidelity:
Lend TSLA: 8.5%
Short TSLA: 16.5%, 0 shares available to short

Lend SCTY: 29.5%
Short SCTY: 52.0%, 0 shares available to short
Fidelity:
Short TSLA: 16.5%, 0 shares available to short (could be out of date - can't check again until Monday)

Lend SCTY: 23.25%
Short SCTY: 52.0%, 0 shares available to short (could be out of date - can't check again until Monday)

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 10.44.21 PM.png

FYI, because there are so many people here with their TSLA holdings at IB, IB seems to have removed TSLA from their special margin stocks list.

Previously you were required to maintain 100% margin on TSLA, meaning that your TSLA stock could not be used to initiate a margin loan and take advantage of IB's super low margin rates. No longer the case. Checked my IB app this morning and my buying power has shot through the roof.

Personally, this was the main reason I transferred my TSLA to IB in the first place and I felt pretty stupid for not realizing there were special margin stocks. I wanted to use TSLA as collateral to buy safer stuff at low margin levels and also have some quick cash around to deploy in buying opportunities.

Of course, we also have the TSLA short-lending program paying out daily fees in the range of 8% APR right now, so you might have to initiate a pretty big margin loan to beat that (especially since it's paying actual cash on a daily basis).

Fidelity:
Short TSLA: 16.5%, 0 shares available to short (could be out of date - can't check again until Monday)

Short SCTY: 52.0%, 0 shares available to short (could be out of date - can't check again until Monday)
Fidelity:
Short TSLA: 15.25%, 0 shares available to short

Short SCTY: 43.0%, 0 shares available to short

Fidelity:

Fidelity:

Lend SCTY: 22.0%

Looks like the shorts are, if not abandoning SCTY, at least normalizing their "shortedness" to TSLA's. So soon there may be no interest rate advantage to holding/loaning SCTY over TSLA.

Heh - where "soon" is that the SCTY interest rate to lend SCTY is now less than 3x the interest rate to lend TSLA.

Of course, using your own posts as the source of information, we only need to go back to last Thursday (3 business days) to see a ratio between the two of roughly 3.5x. In that context, it does look like SCTY is normalizing to TSLA's rate pretty quickly.

Heh - where "soon" is that the SCTY interest rate to lend SCTY is now less than 3x the interest rate to lend TSLA.

Of course, using your own posts as the source of information, we only need to go back to last Thursday (3 business days) to see a ratio between the two of roughly 3.5x. In that context, it does look like SCTY is normalizing to TSLA's rate pretty quickly.
Yeah, it's all relative, and the rates can change pretty quickly. Because I love data:
upload_2016-8-15_13-41-2.png

PM me with an email address if you'd like the raw data - I tried to attach it but spreadsheets are not allowed...

I would love to see this instead of the text updates. You could add a label for the most recent data point to draw attention to the current value and the change since last update.
It's so much easier (particularly on a phone or iPad) to just update the numbers. But I'll try to update the graph at least weekly. Tomorrow I'll look into setting up a Google spreadsheet that might make the graph more automated...

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
First attempt:
Click for interactive graph of interest rates.
You can bookmark that if you want and I'll keep it as current as I can.

Can't figure out how to make the graph show up in a TMC post. If I could embed HTML in a post, this would do it:

<iframe width="800" height="600" seamless frameborder="0" scrolling="no" src="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pubchart?oid=853615618&amp;format=interactive"></iframe>

...but (as you can see above) you just see the source, not what it's pointing to. If anyone knows how to embed html into a TMC forum post, please let me know.

• Love
Reactions: jvonbokel