Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm lent out at Fidelity, at 1%. I may move another account over if I get time (it is a hassle).
I haven't found transferring accounts to be much of a hassle (I moved my Ameritrade, Scottrade, and shifty 401k accounts over in the last three years). Since Fidelity wants your money, they are happy to do most of the heavy lifting - IIRC I just had to fill out a form or two and send it in.

Looks like the beginning of the end of the full-paid lending gravy train (gravy trickle?). Fidelity just dropped the rate they're charging to short TSLA to 0.25%.

EDIT: Not able to embed chart - click on link if you want to see it.
pubchart

pubchart

• Informative
Reactions: Rarity
You sure? I’m seeing 1.0% for Fidelity right now.
Just came to say exactly that - Fidelity's rate inched up (from 0.875% for weeks to 1%) for the first time since early May. Surprisingly the rate they charge to short is still at 0.25%.

I know too much to even pretend to know what any of this means.

Here's my chart which may or may not be embedded correctly (if it isn't, it should be here):
pubchart

Reactions: neroden
I haven't found transferring accounts to be much of a hassle (I moved my Ameritrade, Scottrade, and shifty 401k accounts over in the last three years). Since Fidelity wants your money, they are happy to do most of the heavy lifting - IIRC I just had to fill out a form or two and send it in.
FWIW, it took two weeks. Apparently when the amounts of money are large it gets slowed down due to "approvals".

Likewise recalled. At the very least I want my shares ready for any record dates which may come up, and the situation is wild enough that there is the small possibility of a true "we can't find any shares, sorry" squeeze, which is a tail risk I won't take.

I had assumed that the collateral money was only to be used if the brokerage itself went bankrupt. Is there a legal scenario where the brokerage could remain solvent, but still only return the collateral? Or even return the full market value of the stock at the time but not the stock itself?

I had assumed the only way I would actually lose shares is if Fidelity went bankrupt but now you guys are scaring me.

I had assumed that the collateral money was only to be used if the brokerage itself went bankrupt. Is there a legal scenario where the brokerage could remain solvent, but still only return the collateral? Or even return the full market value of the stock at the time but not the stock itself?

I had assumed the only way I would actually lose shares is if Fidelity went bankrupt but now you guys are scaring me.

I'm thinking that you should be scared. If there are no shares available at all, I would expect Fidelity to be returning their own shares that they own. But at some point, Fidelity will be out of shares owned by Fidelity.

I expect, for instanced, that the loaned out shares in margin accounts - those positions will get closed out for $420 cash / share.

Anybody have the phone number for Fidelity Capital Markets handy? :)

EDIT: Here they are:
Fidelity Capital Markets

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC