Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inspired by a couple of threads in the forum I decided to put together this navigation rollout map as a way of tracking where the new navigation is being rolled out.

You can add yourself by filling out this form navigation rollout form. If you include your email and you currently don't have the new maps, I would replace your row when you get them.

Right now the map is poor since it has my buddy and me :D, but I hope you can help me out by adding yourselves to it. Please, if you like it pass it around and help me reach more fellow Tesla owners!

The map renders both people who have it and people who don't. The people who have it are rendered in green, the ones who don't are yellow.

PD The map has a 2 - 3 min cache - I wasn't able to find a way around it - so if you add yourself it is normal that you don't see it right the second, just check a few minutes later.

So what are we talking about exactly? There’s the new maps which come after 2018.12 sometime and are the vector maps for the IC for the S and X and the ones the 3 already has.

What is called the ‘new nav’ is something different, at least to most people. I thought that was the Wazeian traffic guidance, which came after 2018.14. Is this tracking that also or are you using nav for maps?

If your car already had the new maps installed, it's a "bad data point".

Good catch. I will remove it from the sample. Nothing personal @srredbeard - actually I really appreciate that you answered - but I'm trying to keep it relevant to the rollout.

So what are we talking about exactly? There’s the new maps which come after 2018.12 sometime and are the vector maps for the IC for the S and X and the ones the 3 already has.

What is called the ‘new nav’ is something different, at least to most people. I thought that was the Wazeian traffic guidance, which came after 2018.14. Is this tracking that also or are you using nav for maps?

The new maps came with a new backend and new routing (navigation) algorithm, in the release notes, we can see how Tesla call that the new navigation. The Tesla "traffic info" adds more data to the new system but the system was already there.

new-nav.png

Added mine from South Florida... It seems like there are a lot more new maps on the west coast than the east coast. Maybe it's just more people with Teslas on the west coast skewing the stats a little? I just moved from Los Angeles nine months ago. Maybe I should have stayed :)

My Tesla updated to 2018.12 on 4/13 (Friday the 13th)... My car is on 250gps fiber wifi and still no maps 4 days later.

• Love
Reactions: chispas
Added mine from South Florida... It seems like there are a lot more new maps on the west coast than the east coast. Maybe it's just more people with Teslas on the west coast skewing the stats a little? I just moved from Los Angeles nine months ago. Maybe I should have stayed :)

My Tesla updated to 2018.12 on 4/13 (Friday the 13th)... My car is on 250gps fiber wifi and still no maps 4 days later.

I don’t think is just more people. From the people who reported new navigation ~80% are in the west coast and from the people who reported still having the old navigation 90% are outside of the west coast.

Let’s hope they start rolling it out to more people soon :)

I received 2018.12 on 4/1, the day before we left on a 2 week road trip to Vegas and San Francisco. Got back home to Denver late Saturday night 4/14, and Sunday morning, when I got in the car to back it out for a post trip wash, had the "Introducing new navigation" update screen.

The routing in town is significantly better at "following my lead" - after I missed a suggested turn, the previous system would invariably make multiple reroute attempts to put me back on the original route - suggesting turns at every successive cross street. Over the last couple days, I've taken trips I have had bad results on, and the new system routes me similar to the way I would have chosen, and when I deviated from the suggested route, it very quickly adjusted and matched up with my planned route. I'm happy with the update, just wish I'd gotten it a couple weeks earlier!

You people are awesome! I got so far 100 replies. Some interesting findings:
  • Most people who have reported in the west coast have the new maps, like 90%
  • The new maps are being rolled out in Canada. I remember reading that they were only going to be USA and Mexico
  • Despite Tesla claiming that they were rolling the new maps out in California, there are cases all over the map (literally :p) but especially Oregon and Washington have a high %
  • Florida and Michigan are the two states with several data points that seem not to have had any new map love so far