Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you that have gotten the new maps: did any of you download only via LTE? Or is connecting to wifi required?

Also, would the download occur when the vehicle is in motion? or only when parked?
I think the answer to your latter question is unknown to anyone. As the the former question, I got my maps while on LTE (about 1 month ago). I have not been connected to wifi in a couple of years. Maybe that's the reason I am typically late in receiving firmware updates. I have no idea why I got the maps earlier.

• Helpful
Reactions: ricebucket
My car just downloaded over 5GB of data last night without notifying me of a new software update. I am assuming this is for the new maps. How large is the map download and how can I tell if I have it?

According to people who have tracked it it is around 5GB so most likely that is what you got. People also reported half a day to a day before they actually got the new maps release notes on their MCU. Fingers crossed!

PS don’t forget to add you info to the tracker that I created, here is the form

I'm not sure, but people registered as "having the new maps" in Europe might be only new cars delivered, which apparently have the new maps by default.

That is great question. I know for sure than the people in the UK received the new maps (aka didn’t get the car with them already) actually one of them posted on this thread.

I’m going to try to ask to the people in Europe who reported the new maps to see if they got the car with them already

I received my map update yesterday, or overnight on Sunday. I didn't actually know I had the update until I got in the car as I suspect my son may have accepted the update. I was connected to my Wifi when I was notified of the update.

I am in Cypress (Houston) Texas.

48h after the update to 2018.21.9 I have received on my AP1 S 85, the new maps / navigation and registered to Tesletter - Tesla news curated with love and delivered to your inbox weekly

I'm satisfied, but it still has potential.

Glad that you got it! I like the system for the most part but I think it can do a better job at showing the exist, I kind of liked the old way of doing that. I think the most important thing is that they now have ownership of the system and they can evolve it while it seemed like the old system was stuck and nothing could be done.

Anyone know when the 17" MCU1 will get the vector maps like the 17" MCU2 has? With the new google map pale/bw color scheme? Much nicer with the vector maps and will for sure improve speed with MCU1. I find it strange that it takes so long time for Tesla to push it out?