Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got mine installed. Was offered to my car about 6 hours after installing 2018.14.2 (I had 10.4 before). Make sure you car is plugged in AND on WiFi. I found that putting the car into/out of drive would kick it off of wifi and stop the download. The download should resume from where it left off when back on wifi and plugged in. (If you're not plugged in, the download will stop after about an hour). And if you're not on WiFi, the download will stop immediately.

Looking at the logs on my car, the new nav sync started at 3pm yesterday. It completed the download at 11:38pm, starting and stopping several times throughout the day. At that point, the new update sat "staged" until 2:45AM this morning, when it started "updating". It looks like it finished updating ("idle") at 9:53AM (which, probably not so coincidentally, was exactly when I finished a drive this AM and plugged it in). I got the new maps notification on the screen when I got back into the car for my next drive a few hours later.

Mine has been plugged in and on wifi all day. Does it have to be charging (I am set to charge after 10)

Got maps today after being on 14.2 for a week or so. I can't tell exactly when it started, but it was something like a 5-6GB download. The routing is absolutely better, thank goodness!

Not sure if anyone has posted this before, but it now says Tesla Beta Navigation on the MCU. Also, I much prefer the new IC presentation.

IMG_1985.jpg

Looking at the logs on my car, the new nav sync started at 3pm yesterday. It completed the download at 11:38pm, starting and stopping several times throughout the day. At that point, the new update sat "staged" until 2:45AM this morning, when it started "updating". It looks like it finished updating ("idle") at 9:53AM (which, probably not so coincidentally, was exactly when I finished a drive this AM and plugged it in). I got the new maps notification on the screen when I got back into the car for my next drive a few hours later.

What is the “updating” process? I thought it just downloads the maps to one partition of the maps SD card. To “update” once downloaded it should simply switch the settings to read the maps off of the other partition.

Got the new maps today (Raleigh, NC). My firmware was updated to 14.2 about a week ago. I had stopped at ChikFilA todayand when I returned to the car, the Map update announcement was on my display. Based on my experience, the notion that WiFi is required to get the maps seems unlikely. My home WiFi doesn't reach into my garage, and I've done little to connect to any external WiFi..Also, I was surprised that I didn't need to run an actual install to get the new maps (unlike the firmware updates). Instead the new map announcement just appeared -- no manual installation required. I'm sure everyone who has gotten the maps knows this, but just a heads-up for those who have not.

I finally got it enabled In the evening after I had been somewhere else during the day and parked my car in a garage with very spotty cell data service. Why it decided to alert me then I do not know.

I find it better at calculating a route than before. I always use a side road that parallels a tow lane local route to get to my house and the old NAV wanted me to always go back to the main road even though it was about 3 miles further in distance. The new one routes me using the shorter route.

I find the new maps to be less optimistic on the available range for a trip. When driving from home to work using the old maps, starting with a 75% charge (S100D), would predict an arrival with 26% charge (180 miles). The new maps predicts arriving with 21% charge. That's about 10% more pessimistic by my calculations. The actual usage was unchanged from before, but it errors on the side of caution for the initial routing estimate now.

I should mention that the old maps estimate was very accurate if driving the speed limit. The new map estimate is more accurate if you run about 10 mph above the posted speed limit.

** Assuming 70-100 degree F outdoor temperature and AC running. I don't have much cold weather driving data/experience yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
It takes like 12 hours to process. So your car might download it and then now actually display the new nav installation notes until the next day.

Agreed. Where I park @ work, there is no internet since I park 2 levels below the basement. Yet, when I came back to the car last evening, I had a message that Map data is ready. So it perhaps does take a while after the download, to fully unzip and process, before you see the notification.