Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new maps rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vector maps were slower than original ones even on PC/phone when Google switched to them back in 2014 or so (because more work/rendering on client side). And looks like Tesla updated to newer maps API - my car was showing (C) Google 2009 before 24.1, it's showing (C) Google 2018 now - so switch to vector was just inevitable side effect.
And another nice side effect for Tesla - slow maps can make us pay more gladly for upgrade to MCU2...

Did they start releasing EU TeslaMaps?
I didn't get it from the Mothership yet, but I downloaded it manually and going to install it soon :p

EDIT:
Based on you guys' comments I get the feeling that what you experience with 2018.24 isn't the new maps on the instrument cluster, but only vector maps on the main touchscreen? Has anyone got new cluster maps in the EU yet?

Who did you pay to get the new navigation? Asking for a friend ;)

If you don't believe in coincidence, here is what happened: I was eager to get 24.1 and the new Vector maps. So exceptionally, I plugged one of our CPL AP outside the house, close to the car to increase the Wifi performance. I don't leave it there as it is not protected from rain out there. But the last days being sunny, I didn't mind.
I plugged it in the morning on Saturday. I thought it was indeed a long shot that many tried before, but could just not resist to do it as well.
Of course, in the evening, still no notification on my smartphone about a software update.
Yet to my surprise, when we took the car to our friend's later in the evening, a message on the MCU informed me of the new Nav installed.
Coincidence? Who knows...

But else still no 24.1. Already a happy camper with the new nav, 24.1 will turn up some day for sure...

I got 2018.24.1 on Saturday evening right after coming back home after being away for a few days to a nice 60% Wi-Fi strength. It started downloading the ~1.2gb update immediately. I know my car needs to be selected somehow by Tesla to get the new navigation, but I really wish they would just open the floodgates :).

Reactions: StefanSarzio
It started downloading the ~1.2gb update immediately.
The firmware update isn't that large. Cars normally only get the diff off the current and next firmware, which should be only 200-300 megs. Even if for some reason the Mothership sent you a full package, it is only 970 megs.

Indeed, the mass EU map rollout didn't begin yet. They didn't officially send it to my car either.
I don't know if there is some conditions that you have to meet for your car to get it. Maybe they are just sending it out randomly

The firmware update isn't that large. Cars normally only get the diff off the current and next firmware, which should be only 200-300 megs. Even if for some reason the Mothership sent you a full package, it is only 970 megs.

Indeed, the mass EU map rollout didn't begin yet. They didn't officially send it to my car either.
I don't know if there is some conditions that you have to meet for your car to get it. Maybe they are just sending it out randomly

I know how differential firmware updates work. I'm saying that my update was about 1.2gb because I was actually monitoring the download as it came in on my Unifi router. Sure it might have been some other download, not part of the firmware.

I know how differential firmware updates work. I'm saying that my update was about 1.2gb because I was actually monitoring the download as it came in on my Unifi router. Sure it might have been some other download, not part of the firmware.
Yes, I understood that you monitored the traffic. I was just trying to suggest the same, that it was probably more than just the firmware package

Reactions: SeBsZ