Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking the new roadster - heat soak solved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the big question on my mind - will Tesla make the new roadster a track monster? Porsche claims the Mission E will be a true Porsche capable of sustained track performance. Will Tesla prioritize this aspect of performance as well? Speculate.
They are spreading the power to three motors, which should help a bit. I think it also depends on if they are using PM (like in Model 3) or induction motors. PM would be easier to cool.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
I expect they must have solved it. Further, it may already be in production. Think about it... The Tesla Truck is definitely going to need some aggressive cooling when they've got 4 little motors pulling 80,000 lbs GVW up a mountain at 65 miles/hr. Those motors are said to be the same ones in the Model 3, right?

Now, the Model 3 doesn't necessarily have the cooling capacity around the motors to dissipate that much heat, but if the motor is the same, or largely the same, then we're not going to require a fundamental technology shift to get there. That's already happened.

In one of the test drive videos, the driver specifically said that they were doing the 0-70+ sprints all night long, and that they could continue to do them without a problem. So, I think the answer is a guarded "yes".

You may be thinking of the video from Brooks from DragTimes where the Roadster driver said they had been doing under 2s 0-60 all night. The driver also seemed very confident they would continue to nail it for the rest of the night. Very promising for sustained extreme performance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
My guess is the third motor is for gearing to reach higher speeds very efficiently.
Yes, but my Roadster's motor is already spinning at 14,000 RPM at only 125mph. Assuming a ball-park similar gear ratio, that would mean the new motors need to do in excess of 28,000 RPM, regardless of how much they are contributing to the forward motion of the car. That's one fast motor. Er, three of them.

On the other hand, if they have enough power deliverable to the motors, a lower gear ratio might still get them the 0-60 time, and not fly apart at top speed. As was said last night, this is nuts. I can't think rationally about what they've done.

This is a very key question. For track junkies (yours truly, included) this is the main weakness of the current Model S platform. Unfortunately, there is limited real-time telemetry on these cars from the standpoint of motor temperature, battery temperature and impedance, to understand the heat soak issue. Yes, the P100DL shows battery temperature when Ludicrous+ mode is engaged, but it would be useful to have this at all times, as well as motor vitals. What a car endures during hard lapping is a good bit more extreme than back-to-back 0-70 (or even 1/4 mile) runs, so I don't think we will know the answer until a prototype is put through its paces at Laguna Seca or another track.

This is a very key question. For track junkies (yours truly, included) this is the main weakness of the current Model S platform. Unfortunately, there is limited real-time telemetry on these cars from the standpoint of motor temperature, battery temperature and impedance, to understand the heat soak issue. Yes, the P100DL shows battery temperature when Ludicrous+ mode is engaged, but it would be useful to have this at all times, as well as motor vitals. What a car endures during hard lapping is a good bit more extreme than back-to-back 0-70 (or even 1/4 mile) runs, so I don't think we will know the answer until a prototype is put through its paces at Laguna Seca or another track.
I expect Tesla to show up at REFUEL to smash all the records. The question is in what year. The rational thing to do it would be to do it in 2019 or 2020 with a more production-ready car but Tesla isn't rational.

Reactions: Mark77a
I think they will. The S and X are family cars, this is a sports car. It's all a matter of a big enough dimensioned cooling system. 3 motors and 200 kWh battery will also help the cooling.

Yeah but sprints are a few seconds of full thrust and then you have to cool down to reset for the next sprint. What really kills the old Roadster (or Model S) thermally is sustained full throttle especially at high speeds.

Reactions: Jaff and gowthamn
In one of the test drive videos, the driver specifically said that they were doing the 0-70+ sprints all night long, and that they could continue to do them without a problem. So, I think the answer is a guarded "yes".
Track driving is far harder than those sprints, which like drag racing involved a cool off driving back to the start. On the track you are accelerating hard at all times except for a a second or two of braking before each corner.

The roadster is a ROADSTER, not a track car.
By loose definition it is a car to be driven in a spirited fashion on a long winding road on a sunday afternoon, while enjoying the sport of driving, preferably with the top down.

Even with the carbon ceramic brakes and vector torque steering will likely have considerable understeer, by virtue of its weight.
The same closed body style that gives it its low drag coefficient to reach 250 mph also prohibits any sort of air cooling.
The same thick dense wiring that conducts the needed amperage for incredible performance, also retains electrothermal heat.
The same spoiler that stabilizes the car at 200 mph provides insufficient down force for track performance (hence the 2 wings available for the new ZR1)
The Jetson style steering wheel is incompatible for a technical track.
Currently the roadster has no dashboard to convey critical car information front and center to the track driver who must always be looking at the drive line through the corners.
Many drag strips require roll bars for cars capable of sub 10 second runs.

• Informative
Reactions: njxman and gowthamn
Currently the roadster has no dashboard to convey critical car information front and center to the track driver who must always be looking at the drive line through the corners.
The prototype Roadster shown at the Semi truck reveal had a small horizontal display embedded in the dashboard directly ahead of the driver and the passenger, it displayed the speed, PRND setting, Auto Pilot icon, TACC icon, and a thin horizontal bar whose purpose is unknown at this time.