Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Trip Details for business expense purposes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my Model 3 for business. I'm looking forward to the .575 mileage deduction without gas or car service charges. I have a home charger. I'm charged 7.25 cents per kilowatt-hour at home, so a lot less than gas. My question to the forum is: Does the Model 3 have software to track and export trip details?

I'm not aware of such features built into the car's UI. However, check out the sort of report one gets daily from the TezLab app:
upload_2020-1-13_12-16-18.png

I use my Model 3 for business. I'm looking forward to the .575 mileage deduction without gas or car service charges. I have a home charger. I'm charged 7.25 cents per kilowatt-hour at home, so a lot less than gas. My question to the forum is: Does the Model 3 have software to track and export trip details?

While it does look nice, don't be fooled by appearances. Car operation is pretty expensive.

Let's just say that you drive a $50,000 car for 100,000 miles, that's $0.50, without power, insurance, taxes.

At 7 cents, are you on a TOU rate? Sounds might cheap for CA.

Best to install a dedicated power meter to track usage. There were different kind of losses, be it sitting loss, heating loss, charging loss and more, that each app will not report on, or they don't even track them properly. Tesla App and screen display only show you the power consumption on driving, not at all for other type of consumption(loss). I only installed a dedicated meter beginning of this year. Based on my 15 days of tracking, closest app to track the power consumption is Teslafi (5% off, Stats 14% off and Tezlab 26% off).

I don’t think the OP needs to track kWh consumed for tracking expenses. They mentioned tracking mileage and taking the standard mileage deduction or reimbursement from their employer.

As mentioned, no built-in recording of mileage for trips. There is teslafi, but I don’t like the idea of giving a 3rd party access to my car, so I don’t do that. While an API key doesn’t share your password, it does provide full access since Tesla doesn’t have ACLs on their API.

For me, I have one trip meter labeled Roadtrip! and reset that at the beginning of the month or a road trip where I want to track mileage. The 2nd trip meter is marked Monthly and I reset it at the end of each month to log vehicle expenses into a custom spreadsheet to track expenses (along with tracking $ and kWh used for charging at home and at Superchargers.

you either do it manually or look at one of the 3rd party tools that does data logging.

I don’t think the OP needs to track kWh consumed for tracking expenses. They mentioned tracking mileage and taking the standard mileage deduction or reimbursement from their employer.

As mentioned, no built-in recording of mileage for trips. There is teslafi, but I don’t like the idea of giving a 3rd party access to my car, so I don’t do that. While an API key doesn’t share your password, it does provide full access since Tesla doesn’t have ACLs on their API.

For me, I have one trip meter labeled Roadtrip! and reset that at the beginning of the month or a road trip where I want to track mileage. The 2nd trip meter is marked Monthly and I reset it at the end of each month to log vehicle expenses into a custom spreadsheet to track expenses (along with tracking $ and kWh used for charging at home and at Superchargers.

you either do it manually or look at one of the 3rd party tools that does data logging.

That does not give the consumption numbers OP wanted. Tesla screen display gives you ONLY consumption while driving, not overall.

Driversnote uses your phone to track mileage. You’re Bluetoothed to a small sensor you put in your glovebox. It works well, but you get some drift in mileage. You need to update your odometer reading on your phone daily or so. Why Tesla does not have a function to track business mileage is a head scratcher.

Driversnote uses your phone to track mileage. You’re Bluetoothed to a small sensor you put in your glovebox. It works well, but you get some drift in mileage. You need to update your odometer reading on your phone daily or so. Why Tesla does not have a function to track business mileage is a head scratcher.

There are plenty of third party apps that use the Tesla API to track mileage (to the 1/100 of a mile). I use TeslaFi (see post #6) but lots of options available both through browsers as well as dedicated apps.

OP didn’t ask for consumption numbers, but rather mileage numbers for the federal mileage credit. If you’re reporting rated miles worth of energy used to the feds, you’re doing it wrong and cheating the system.

money spend on the electricity is real, mileage on the screen is real. I’m just suggesting the kWh used can not be read from the screen directly. Where is this cheating come from? FYI, my meter, directly connected to the charger, reported 185kWh electricity flow into my car, however, Tesla said I used only 68kWh for the same month of Jan! All that 120kWh was used while it’s sitting there!

money spend on the electricity is real, mileage on the screen is real. I’m just suggesting the kWh used can not be read from the screen directly. Where is this cheating come from? FYI, my meter, directly connected to the charger, reported 185kWh electricity flow into my car, however, Tesla said I used only 68kWh for the same month of Jan! All that 120kWh was used while it’s sitting there!

As far as government mileage reimbursement is concerned, energy efficiency and energy added are irrelevant. The federal mileage reimbursement is calculated by miles driven.