Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking vehicle moves out of your driving path....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks..I know current AP2 has problem with detecting stationary objects.
I use AP all the time on a stop and go traffic and sometimes my tracking vehicle moves out.
But so far..the car ahead of that is still moving.

After reading the police report on recent Utah AP accident I have the following question.
Based on the following text from user manual...is it true that if the speed is less than 50 mph the car would
have tried to brake in that Utah incident case?
The following text used the word "may not"....does that mean sometimes it can detect stationary objects.

"Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles or objects, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and in situations where a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you."

Based on personal experience, when a car in front moves out of the lane and there’s another car in front, say at a stop light, the car usually sees it, slows down, and stops accordingly. Obviously talking about less than 50mph.

Reactions: scottf200
BTW, It's not just AP2 and stationary objects... But yes, AP sometimes detects stationary objects, but it's just not something that can be relied upon. And the reason they make mention of speed (over 50 mph) is just the simple fact that the faster you travel, the less likely a successful detection will occur.

I use AP2 most of the time on Surface Streets. So my speed is normally 45 mph or less. Very seldom do I hit 50 because of the limit of +5 on Surface Streets.

Prior to Firmware 2018.10.4 it would fail most of the time for stopped vehicles that it had not already tracked when it was moving. The slower I am was driving the better the chance to stop. Maybe it would fail 95% at 40+ mph.

After Firmware 2018.10.4 it will most of the time see stopped vehicles at any speed up to say 45 mph. Again, the faster the speed the more concerned I get. Maybe it will fail 1% of the time. But I do not remember the last time I had to break so pretty reliable at Surface Street Speeds for ME.

Caution: I am always alert. It is getting better but sometimes on some streets at long interactions without lane lines (in the intersection) and I am in the left lane it has tried to go into the on coming left lane change of the on coming traffic. Again, since I use AP2 all the time I am well aware of the problem areas and well prepared to take over.

You may be thinking why do I use it on Surface Streets when it is more suited to Freeways. My only answer is because it is fun. I work from home so I do not commute and not as often on Freeways.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200