Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking with the app...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer Tesla owner here.....

I share my car with a couple family members in the house. They use the app when they use the vehicle. Since we all use the app does that mean we can all track where we are all going when using the car? Is there any way around this while still having access to the app?

Thanks
Stew

This goes over the ins and outs of various option you have to give access to other drivers.

I share my car with a couple family members in the house. They use the app when they use the vehicle. Since we all use the app does that mean we can all track where we are all going when using the car? Is there any way around this while still having access to the app?

Thanks
Stew

Nope, your family is going to see where you are, if they look (and you can see where they are, if you look), if everyone uses the app. People who shouldnt have access to tracking should be given keycards... but the people with the app will always be able to track unless mobile access to the car is disabled.

Simple the location is only updated when the car moves under it's own power

1 Buy a trailer
2 Put incognito M3 on the trailer
3 Buy another M3 to tow the trailer with incogneto M3 on it
4 Arrive at destination un-tracked, your tailer Queen incognito M3 will still look like it's at home

....Secret identity saved no one will know

Or teach you dog to drive, from the looks of your profile photo
he's half way there already, how's his safety score

If going down the dog driving route
Recommend you practice a few legitimate back stories so that you're both on the same page if questions are asked

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: duanra and gaspi101
Simple the location is only updated when the car moves under it's own power

1 Buy a trailer
2 Put incognito M3 on the trailer
3 Buy another M3 to tow the trailer with incogneto M3 on it
4 Arrive at destination un-tracked, your tailer Queen incognito M3 will still look like it's at home

....Secret identity saved no one will know

Or teach you dog to drive, from the looks of your profile photo
he's half way there already, how's his safety score

If going down the dog driving route
Recommend you practice a few legitimate back stories so that you're both on the same page if questions are asked
This is not accurate from my experience. I sold my 2019 Model 3 to Vroom and after it was picked up and loaded onto a semi-truck I was able to track where it was while it was loaded/traveling from Illinois to Texas. I'm guessing it pings off of GPS signals no matter if traveling, on a trailer or parked.

• Informative
Reactions: gaspi101

Thanks
Stew
If you need to hide, don't use a tesla. o_O

I was visiting my brother and let him use my car to go to the store and he didn't know I could monitor it. When he got back with it, I asked him why he went from 50 to 90 along one of the local roads.
He said that he figured with all the technology that I probably was monitoring him. Told him that I was thinking of screwing with him and changing the maximum speed to its lowest limit why he was driving but was afraid that their might be other cars behind him that would get annoyed.
Does anyone know if you can give various people access by setting up a separate guest login that they could all use to see where you are but not let have access to Summon or other things since I wouldn't want them to accidently move the car or turn on the climate control or seat heater.
This way I wouldn't get phone calls every few hours on long 20 hour trips from friends asking where I was and what time I would be arriving.