Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction control activating on interchange ramps and cloverleafs. Alignment or software?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Biggest thing for me was just getting the right numbers for track width. Now that that's done, setting up the strings is easy. Probably still would take me longer than 2 hours to do all 4 wheels though.
The one interesting thing about the Tenhulzen kit is that it came with some weird elastic string that was sort of like a plastic... not sure what it was, maybe something like this?

Elastic Cord Value Pack | Hobby Lobby | 1750546

Could make things slightly easier.

Reactions: destructure00
Glad to hear the problem is not with a bad suspension part. Sad to hear you still have the problem. Does in happen in both directions? I read the other thread where you had a problem with bumps in a straight line. Do you still have that problem in a straight line? I recall someone posting about their shocks failing. They even did a shock dyno to prove that their stocks were messed up compared to another model 3’s shocks.

I use toe plates for total toe. I use a level that has a laser to set thrust angle. I have someone hold the level against the toe plate and measure the distance from the face of the other wheel on the same side to the laser beam. I do the same with the other side and compare the measurements. No strings, no worries about comparing track width.

Glad to hear the problem is not with a bad suspension part. Sad to hear you still have the problem. Does in happen in both directions? I read the other thread where you had a problem with bumps in a straight line. Do you still have that problem in a straight line? I recall someone posting about their shocks failing. They even did a shock dyno to prove that their stocks were messed up compared to another model 3’s shocks.

I use toe plates for total toe. I use a level that has a laser to set thrust angle. I have someone hold the level against the toe plate and measure the distance from the face of the other wheel on the same side to the laser beam. I do the same with the other side and compare the measurements. No strings, no worries about comparing track width.

It does happen in both directions, yes. The straight line problem seems to be resolved, I'm thinking it was either the rear camber, excessive toe-in, or a combination of both. I haven't had a chance to check to see if it still happens after rotating the tires, but I don't think there a big chance that will resolve it.

The laser method seems a little bit easier than the strings, may have to check that out at some point.

Finally took a freeway drive and got to hit both the cloverleaf and flyover ramps at speed this evening, no more TC intervention. Only differences from last time are newer tires moved up front and a software update. I'm thinking it's the tires (SW change seems unlikely), never would have guessed since the older ones aren't that bad.

Reactions: KenC and AltLogic
Finally took a freeway drive and got to hit both the cloverleaf and flyover ramps at speed this evening, no more TC intervention. Only differences from last time are newer tires moved up front and a software update. I'm thinking it's the tires (SW change seems unlikely), never would have guessed since the older ones aren't that bad.

One of our customers installed tires that had different overall diameters and his TC/VSC was going crazy on the highway, even during a lane change. He tried aligning it but in the end he had to get the shop who chose the sizes for him to take back the tires and replace them with matching diameters. I have also seen a difference in treadwear front to rear cause the 4wd transfer case to malfunction on a few trucks due to the difference in speed.

One of our customers installed tires that had different overall diameters and his TC/VSC was going crazy on the highway, even during a lane change. He tried aligning it but in the end he had to get the shop who chose the sizes for him to take back the tires and replace them with matching diameters. I have also seen a difference in treadwear front to rear cause the 4wd transfer case to malfunction on a few trucks due to the difference in speed.

What's weird though is that it didn't like new tires rear with worn tires up front, but it doesn't seem to be bothered by new tires up front and worn tires in the rear. Strange, but good to know for future reference.

I've been seeing traction control kick in lately when taking freeway interchange ramps at speed (>60 mph), or taking cloverleaf type exits at >40mph. These are places where I never used to have any type of intervention, so something has changed.

First question....has anyone else seen more aggressive traction control intervention in scenarios like this after any of the software updates over the past couple of months?

The other possibility in my case is that I installed rear camber arms and front upper control arms back in March for additional camber at the track. I have had the rear at -2.0 degrees and front at -1.7 degrees for a few months. Recently changed the rear to -1.5 degrees and still seeing the same TC intervention. Toe has been checked and adjusted accordingly, currently sitting at 1/32" toe-in for the rear (about .05 degrees) and zero up front.

Only two things that have changed recently are software updates and alignment, so trying to figure out if others have seen increased TC aggressiveness, or if I need to keep playing with the camber on the street and set it closer to factory specs to prevent TC engagement in these scenarios where it's not necessary.

document the dates and times and how to replicate the issue. Make an appointment with the service center