Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction Control disabled Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had all 5 errors today after work. Reset nothing , called them they had me power off and on went away. Just went to move it to the garage and charge and now I have 6 errors. New one is power is limited as the car limped around into my garage.

I got same issue tonight - 200 miles on the car - I tried to set AP on a city street - got the traction control disable message first, then no regeneration braking, then other warnings. Drove home, did 2 button reset, at that point car would not shift out of park. Got out, walked away so car locked, phone would then not unlock car - used card - unlocked, started her up and everything was back to normal. Tesla must have subcontracted that piece of code to Microsoft :)

• Disagree
Reactions: gnelson
Twice now in the last week my wife and I got an entire screen of these error messages: regenerative brakes, Traction Control, stability control, emergency braking, CONTACT TESLA SERVICE! My wife was on a road trip parking at her destination. So she went inside and phoned me in a panic. I told her to go back to the car and try it - Of course all signs of the problem had by then disappeared.

Then tonight when I was a block from home I got them. So, I left them on the screen, went home, left the car on while I went inside to get a pencil and paper to write them down. And you can guess that by the time I had returned to the car they were gone and everything was acting normal as if nothing had happened.

Is there a record of these notifications anywhere? Or do they just dissipate into the electronic ether.

I can't just drive to the Tesla Service Center and have them check it out. It's 140 miles away and there is no evidence that anything is wrong anyway.

Thanks

Model 3 AWD, LR, Driver Assist

I always take pictures on my phone.

Twice now in the last week my wife and I got an entire screen of these error messages: regenerative brakes, Traction Control, stability control, emergency braking, CONTACT TESLA SERVICE! My wife was on a road trip parking at her destination. So she went inside and phoned me in a panic. I told her to go back to the car and try it - Of course all signs of the problem had by then disappeared.

Then tonight when I was a block from home I got them. So, I left them on the screen, went home, left the car on while I went inside to get a pencil and paper to write them down. And you can guess that by the time I had returned to the car they were gone and everything was acting normal as if nothing had happened.

Is there a record of these notifications anywhere? Or do they just dissipate into the electronic ether.

I can't just drive to the Tesla Service Center and have them check it out. It's 140 miles away and there is no evidence that anything is wrong anyway.

Thanks

I've had this happen twice since picking it up last Tuesday, always from parked.

The steering wheel reset never fixes it, but the touchscreen "Power Off" does.

Thanks

I just got a call returned from the Service Center. It took them maybe 15 seconds to find my error messages after I told them the date and time. They hoped that this could be fixed in the next firmware update.

In the meantime, they suggested pulling over, parking and restarting; or if that fails, then the hard boot.

Happened to me today. Ominous looking error messages and driving down the street convinced me to go back home and drive it up on the Rhino ramps to see if something was actually wrong. Nope. Got back in car, did reset, messages were gone and I was able to grind out my 60 mile one way commute with no problem. Weird, you get used to regen braking so quickly that coasting feels unsafe.

In addition to loss of regenerative braking and stability control, I lost cruise control in my Model S. I powered off, and the errors clears. I drove 25 mi and the errors recurred. I powered off again, and the errors cleared. I was able to drive about 10 more mi before they re-appeared. I stopped for the night 600 mi from home. I hope they don't happen again tomorrow.

In addition to loss of regenerative braking and stability control, I lost cruise control in my Model S. I powered off, and the errors clears. I drove 25 mi and the errors recurred. I powered off again, and the errors cleared. I was able to drive about 10 more mi before they re-appeared. I stopped for the night 600 mi from home. I hope they don't happen again tomorrow.

i have the same issue. Keeps reoccurring. Did you find a solution?

@steilkurve The service center replaced a steering column module.

Well, it appears I have found the culprit. Reading other posts, some had an issue where the wheel sensor cable was rubbing against the wheel. Inspected my wheels and noticed the right wheel sensor cable detached from its latch and rubbed against the wheel and got worn out to the copper. Had my car inspected for vibrations recently And wheels were taken off. I can only assume that’s where it accidentally got detached. See photo.

I will try and temporarily repair the cable, hoping the sensor itself didn’t get fried by this all. Will report back.

Attachments

• 843ADFB7-EA2C-430A-BA06-F9FEEC7DA24F.jpeg
    843ADFB7-EA2C-430A-BA06-F9FEEC7DA24F.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 292
Well, it appears I have found the culprit. Reading other posts, some had an issue where the wheel sensor cable was rubbing against the wheel. Inspected my wheels and noticed the right wheel sensor cable detached from its latch and rubbed against the wheel and got worn out to the copper. Had my car inspected for vibrations recently And wheels were taken off. I can only assume that’s where it accidentally got detached. See photo.

I will try and temporarily repair the cable, hoping the sensor itself didn’t get fried by this all. Will report back.

Ok. Successfully repaired. Had to splice one of the two strands in the cable as it was completely severed. I also noticed that rubber piece that latches the cable to the wheel was absent. I assume it was forgotten to put it back when my wheel was dissembled to replace the half shafts. That’s likely what caused the cable to rub like that. Any way spliced the strand and taped the whole cable back together and used a tie wrap to secure the cable to the wheel. Should do until I visit the SC. Errors are now gone. See attached photos of repair.

Attachments

• B6936B37-21D7-4F46-B92E-BB61C3E036FC.jpeg
    B6936B37-21D7-4F46-B92E-BB61C3E036FC.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 7C46D41F-3995-4663-A0CD-10CD7ACFC09F.jpeg
    7C46D41F-3995-4663-A0CD-10CD7ACFC09F.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Informative
Reactions: JasonR67
Our model 3 had similar message tonight. Messages -

Cruise control disabled
Car needs service
Steering assist reduced
Traction Control Disabled
contact Tesla Service
Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled

I also lost regen.

I had to do several reboots before the message disappear. Car seems to behave normally now.

I also report the problem to Tesla. I will call the SC on Monday to see if I still need to bring the car in.

Hello Diablo,
did this get fixed by the SC ?
I have the same issue which after repeated alerts for a week I found the car with no regen breaking, but no power assisted steering either.
The steering is very heavy with no power assist.

It's in the SC at the moment. They thinks it's probably a connector on a CAN bus (data bus for cars) which would explain why so may apparently different systems went down together.

I've got a Mercedes C class as a hire car (paid by Tesla) until my model 3 is fixed ............. I can't wait until I'm back in a proper 21st century car.

Bye for now,
Paul.

Hello Diablo,
did this get fixed by the SC ?
I have the same issue which after repeated alerts for a week I found the car with no regen breaking, but no power assisted steering either.
The steering is very heavy with no power assist.

It's in the SC at the moment. They thinks it's probably a connector on a CAN bus (data bus for cars) which would explain why so may apparently different systems went down together.

I've got a Mercedes C class as a hire car (paid by Tesla) until my model 3 is fixed ............. I can't wait until I'm back in a proper 21st century car.

Bye for now,
Paul.

Did you try the full reboot?

Foot on brake, press the 2 scroll buttons on the steering wheel?

Have to ask.

Vin

These errors can be caused by a sensor, connector or wire becoming momentarily disconnected or having an intermittent fault. There's no one cause. Clear the errors by powering off and on and hope they can diagnose where the fault is from the logs, otherwise it can be a needle in a haystack job.

Did you try the full reboot?

Foot on brake, press the 2 scroll buttons on the steering wheel?

Have to ask.

Vin

Hello,
Yes sensible to ask. This is engineering
; always ask the dumb questions, you might be the only one that thought of it.

I had done a power off which as I understand is the step beyond a full reboot :

How To: Perform Hard Reset on Model 3 - Tesla Owners Online

This was on advice from Tesla; Unplug everything from the USB ports including cables or the shutdown may not happen.
It's strange as you sit in a powered off car for a few minutes ( touching the door open button will interrupt the process).

After a few minutes and everything off (the only light I could see was the emergency call indicator in the ceiling) something makes a gentle clunk. Wait a bit longer and then press the brake to restart.

This worked the first time it failed, but not the next. ( Car was pointing uphill, issues resolved itself once it was downhill again).

Tesla Service Centre have now told me it's a connector issue. It's gone intermittent. They know which one and are replacing it.
Happily they are talking to Tesla Engineering about it to agree how they can reduce the fleet failure rate, and to provide the most reliable repair possible.

It seems Tesla track issues and it's all part of the continuous improvement process, so not only does the software improve, but the build and service methods evolve as well. Another good reason for avoiding dealers. Dealers make money out of repeatedly repairing the same fault and charging the manufacturer. Service Centres are incentivised to make you repair as reliable as possible, and improve the fleet.

It's a shame as I was happily reading Tesla engineers share Model 3 steering, drivetrain, and suspension secrets and fully approved of the dual redundant circuits for the steering to ensure it does not fail, but it looks like there is a single point failure in a connector that can break it. Thankfully it's a car not an aeroplane so even this failure is very unlikely to be fatal (although it's very nasty). Boeing are clearly so clever they don't need redundancy on the 737 Max ............ or maybe they do.

BTW. I'm an electronics engineer that's designed safety critical systems for military aerospace, so I am delighted to see Tesla using a best practice approach

Merry Xmas All,
Paul.