Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction control with new tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose the information is somewhere here, but it seems I can not find it. I have not found the information in the handbook either!
So: I have put new tires at the back. Now I have heard that I have to make the traction control to "learn" the new tires.
How do I do that, and why?

Thank you

Here's the info:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3224&d=1319489992.jpg

When you hit the New Tires button, it will disable regen and limit power. It will ask you to accelerate to a certain speed range and then coast in a straight line. When it's finished regen will kick back in, and away you go.

Oh, and why? It's so it can learn the diameter of the tires.

Attachments

• firmware.jpg
    firmware.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 818
It worked! Thank you!
But why do we have to do that? On my ICE cars with TC I do not have to do that.
Now I have the problem that the tyre pression control does not work. Might be that the right and left wheel have been changed. So that the sensors have to be "teached". Can I do that or has it to be the Tesla Ranger? ( Or I can changer the wheels left - right )

It worked! Thank you!
But why do we have to do that? On my ICE cars with TC I do not have to do that.
Now I have the problem that the tyre pression control does not work. Might be that the right and left wheel have been changed. So that the sensors have to be "teached". Can I do that or has it to be the Tesla Ranger? ( Or I can changer the wheels left - right )

The TC in the Roadster is far more precise than that of most street cars. Try driving it on snow with summer performance tires, and you'll see what I mean. (I've tried it, but just as an experiment. It's amazing!)

The pressure monitor shouldn't care what wheel it's on, except that it would display as being on the wrong wheel. Resyncing the transmitters requires a gadget, so either a Ranger has to do it, or you have to borrow the gadget.

Hopefully the tire shop didn't damage the transmitters.

Note that you probably can't just swap the wheels around, as tires typically used on the Roadster are directional. Best check the tire manufacturer's web site before you try that!

From the link below:

directional wheels

It appears that although the wheels look like they should be directional, that Tesla doesn't consider them directional since Tesla has put them on in both of the different orientations.

When my tires were replaced the Tesla Service mgr. told me he had to send the car back to the tire shop to re-mount the tires because the wheels are directional. IMO they don't look rightt when the slanted spokes are not oriented correctly.

When my tires were replaced the Tesla Service mgr. told me he had to send the car back to the tire shop to re-mount the tires because the wheels are directional. IMO they don't look rightt when the slanted spokes are not oriented correctly.
Yes but it's purely cosmetic. The wheels themselves aren't directional (ie: there's no arrow on them to indicate direction of rotation). Tires however may be directional. Now for TPMS purposes a non-Tesla shop should take care to put the wheels back in the same place they found them (and alsonot to leave the key on with the wheels removed). Tesla charged me $100 to mount and balance tires that I supplied to them during my annual. TPMS and TC are working perfectly. I did go through the New Tires process but it seemed to be working fine prior to that (Though Tesla may have done it for me).

Have changed to winter tires last week. The front tires are Pirelli 210 Snowsport (195/50), the rears Pirelli 240 Sottozero S2 (225/45). Had only AD07 until now and am missing the fast acceleration with them. The TC comes on every time when I accelerate or regenerate hard. Did the new tires calibration several times to make sure it didn't fail.

Have changed to winter tires last week. The front tires are Pirelli 210 Snowsport (195/50), the rears Pirelli 240 Sottozero S2 (225/45). Had only AD07 until now and am missing the fast acceleration with them. The TC comes on every time when I accelerate or regenerate hard. Did the new tires calibration several times to make sure it didn't fail.
Try adjusting the tire pressures, keeping the fronts near recommended, but lowering the rears a little. The T/C on acceleration probably will be impossible to fix until the tires are worn-in a little, but the pressure adjustment should take care of the T/C during regen problem.

Still have a lot of TC going on when accelerating. I am not sure if I did the new tire calibration well.
It writes I should coast at 20-60 mph for 10 seconds.
Well nothing happens after 10 seconds if I do that. What exactly do you have to do? My car takes from 30-45 seconds to stop the coasting and reactivating Regen. It's almost impossible to find a straight road with no cars on it in my region.

Huh? I did turn it on, that's why it deactivated Regen and TC. Never seen any message indicating that it's done, just the Regen and TC are kicking in again.

Okay, I misunderstood. If you coasted in a straight line then it worked. If the TC is still giving you trouble with winter tires... well you're running on winter tires. Don't expect 3.7 seconds 0-60.

Still have a lot of TC going on when accelerating. I am not sure if I did the new tire calibration well.
It writes I should coast at 20-60 mph for 10 seconds.
Well nothing happens after 10 seconds if I do that. What exactly do you have to do? My car takes from 30-45 seconds to stop the coasting and reactivating Regen. It's almost impossible to find a straight road with no cars on it in my region.

Seems like you did it right. There was no msg at my car, it just kicked in with regen. ( Very different to drive the car without regen ).
However you should not have TC coming on with the winter tires at these conditions...