TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Traction in Snow

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mcattell, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Just to really bring it home, Summer Tires should never be used below 45 degrees, and even All-Season Tires don't perform as well as Winter Tires when the temperature drops below 45 degrees; whether there is snow or not. It has to due with the chemical compound used in the rubber to maintain pliability. Secondly, the tread cut does make a difference on cold roads, even when dry.

That said, I also have a Tahoe SLT. With new M+S tires and 4x4, I never found any condition I didn't feel confident navigating. However, I had a set of worn-out all-season tires on it one Fall when we got hit by a surprise cold/snow spell. Even with it locked in 4-Low, I couldn't make it up my mildly sloped driveway. Point being, no matter how well equipped the vehicle is for the elements, if you can not maintain adhesion between the tires and the ground, you won't be going anywhere fast.

On my Tesla, I swap between my 21" Grey Turbine / Michelin PSS and my 19" TST Metallic Grey Turbine / Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3....

2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Or go for a set of all weathers, they are still fairly uncommon but a few manufacturers make them. I recommend Nokian ;)

3. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Thanks to this thread I just threw on my sottozero winter package (from Tesla). Hope this thing handles well in the snow as it replaced a 4wd Jeep Grand Cherokee