Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traction in Snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a P85D and a short, but steep drive. When it snowed a few days ago our car was unable to make it up the drive without spinning out and slipping backward. There was about 2" of wet snow on the drive which hadn't previously been driven on. We were finally able to get up the drive after getting a run for it.

When watching the car attempt to go up the drive from the outside, it appeared that one of the back tires was spinning but not the others. We thought the car was considered all-wheel drive. Is there something we're missing here, or is there a setting to enable better traction to enable drive of all wheels in snow? My F-150 truck easily walked up the drive when put in 4 wheel drive with its highway tires.

Looking through the menus we didn't see any options pertaining to traction. We're expecting more snow tomorrow and were hoping to get out the drive again.

While it is AWD it still has a differential, so you can still have one side do most of the spinning.

I see you have a performance version, what do you have for tires? If you have summer tires on that is your main problem. (I assume you don't have summer/performance tires on your F150.)

We have a P85D
What tires are you on? The P85D comes with summer tires I believe, but not sure if you're still on them.

Nothing, even awd, can beat good snow tires.

I think it depends.

I had a BMW Z3 with snow tires. Definitely not as good as my Subaru MT w/50:50 & LSD; even on all-seasons. On summer tires, all that hardware didn't matter.

*All AWD also isn't created equal. Just as all TC systems & programming that adjust throttle, braking, slippage, etc. isn't equal.

Sounds like you've got the summer tires on. As you've noticed those are unusable in the snow. They really shouldn't be used in the winter at all, as even in the cold there performance is terrible. I've been able to get up steep hills just fine in my RWD 85 with just the all-seasons on it.

I have Michelin primarys (OEM tires). Will that work in NJ snow?
I have found them barely adequate for Texas winters when brand new. I now have a second set of wheels and run Nokian WR-3g severe service all-seasons during winter. If I lived where you are I would get a second set of wheels and mount real snow tires such as Nokian R2 or Michelin X-Ice. Besides the extra traction and controlability, you don't want to get your good summer wheels damaged by salt.

We have a P85D and a short, but steep drive. <snip>

As someone who likewise owns a steep driveway in a snowy climate--but not so snowy that most people use snow tires--I've found snow tires are necessary on my driveway even if they're overkill on the well-cleared roads around here generally. More all-season-tire-equipped cars than I can count have had to be pulled out of snow banks next to my driveway or left their owners walking up it. In contrast, snow tires and momentum have gotten me safely up the slope in every car I've owned, including an underpowered, lowered, wheelchair-accessible minivan.

Now, *downhill* can be another matter.

Reactions: jerry33
I have a steep driveway, and during my first winter with my Model S (RWD) had constant problems getting up the driveway in snow with all season tires. Switched to winter tires and have not had a problem anymore. My understanding is that AWD is great, but not helpful if the tires are not getting traction. After driving with snow tires on a RWD Model S, I am more confident in winter conditions than I was with my previous AWD Subaru that was equipped with all seasons.

Reactions: jerry33
As has already been pointed out, but bears repeating - never drive on snow or ice with summer performance tires, like come standard on the 21" rims. The rubber compounds in summer tires harden up in cold weather. Also, they do not have the proper tread pattern for grabbing snow and ice (called siping). This results in them having zero traction in winter conditions.

Buy a set of dedicated winter tires on rims from Tesla or Tire Track and swap twice a year, or buy a set of decent all-seasons and replace your summer tires.