TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Traction Question for P85 Owners with 19" Wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Gizmotoy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I currently have a P85 on order with the 19" wheels. Given the alignment/tire concerns with the 21"s, the fact that the 19"s are already pretty big, and that according to this calculator (http://bndtechsource.ucoz.com/index/tire_data_calculator/0-20) the contact patch on the 19"s is actually bigger than the 21"s, I decided to stick with the stock 19"s. Unfortunately, these get saddled with all-season Michelin rubber (on the S85/P85) when the 21"s get max performance summers.

The concern a poster on the Tesla manufacturer forum brought up was that generous application of throttle anywhere between 0 and 50 or so caused squealing and traction control to kick on. Further, given this, was some thought that the P85 is probably no faster than the S85 so equipped.

Any thoughts from current owners on this? I've discussed this quite a bit with lolachampcar with the general advice that 19"s with better tires is the way to go, but given that I have to take the Michelins is it going to be miserable on them until it's time for something new? I hadn't planned to swap them out immediately, but that may be my only option (anyone want to buy a spare set?). Would I be better off requesting Tesla install the high performance Goodyear all-seasons they put on the S60 (the Michelins are touring, the lowest-performing category)?

Off the line, sure, I totally expect some wheel spin on all-seasons. At speed? To me that indicates some tires that need to be swapped out for something that performs better. To be clear, I'm OK sacrificing some range and ride roughness for handling, and would have preferred a summer tire of some sort if it were an option.

Thanks!

2. loganss

loganss Spaceman

The P85 is definitely faster than the standard 85. I've got a P85 loaner with 19" wheels and my car is a standard 85 with 19" wheels. P85 is definitely faster. I do notice on launch the traction control for the P85 has to work harder and I hear louder wheelspin for longer durations.

3. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

#3 mnx, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    I have a P85 with 19's. Zero regrets here! Yes the TC will almost always come on under full throttle <30mph unless you have perfect roads. I am eagerly awaiting my first tire replacement. (@ 7/32 with ~8000km on the goodyears). Hope that helps!

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

you must be doing donuts all day long. I have 7/32 front, 8/32 rear @ 23k MILES (37000km).

5. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I'm guessing you put on a lot of sedate (commuting miles) :) I work from home... That and 3 evenings at the track hasn't helped. :)

6. breading

breading Member

I agree with MNX. I have a P85 with 19's. No regrets either. Especially since I already had to replace one tire and repair another thanks to a son who enjoys playing with screws in the driveway.

Traction control kicks in under 30 mph; but, the acceleration is still breathtaking. I would like to know the actual numbers though. Has anyone tested this?

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

As in 0-60 times with 21" vs 19" tires?

I went drag racing last Friday and was as fast or faster than any MSP with 21" wheels... Traction compound takes care of any tire spin @ <30mph... Stock 2013 Tesla Model S P85 1/4 mile trap speeds 0-60 - DragTimes.com

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I was just looking at the OEM Michelin's vs. Goodyears... THe Michelin's are rated AA for traction while the goodyears are only rated A. I would infer that the Michelin's would have better traction than the goodyears.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

A UTQG traction grade doesn't tell the whole story. It essentially just tests the tire compound under wet braking. A tire optimized for wet operation would receiving a higher rating than a tire optimized for dry traction. The test is designed to downplay tread pattern (significant here because we're comparing a touring and high performance tire), and in addition, doesn't measure acceleration at all. Indeed the test descriptions usually specifically warn that the rating should not be used to compare dry performance.

Based on comparing the responses of Model S owners with each of the two options, it would appear that the Goodyears provide better grip. Not exactly scientific, but they're the only ones with first-hand experience. I also saw opinions that they were louder, which makes sense with a blockier tread.