Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade 2018 MS 100D for 2019 Raven 100D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looked at the same thing with my 2017 100D. I’d have to come up with 16k to upgrade to raven. No sunroof, (maybe minor) superior range/ride, MCU2.

Was tempted by the unlimited SC offer and would have jumped if they let me transfer my FSD to the new car.

What I decided is hang in there and see if an MCU2 upgrade becomes available when they install the HW3. The range of the 100D closely match’s the bladder/gotta stretch range for road trips. Kinda like the sun roof. I think with the new
Sonic silver tempest wheels adding 10% range to the car it’ll make it Goldilocks good.

I am also changing the dash decor to the Oak finish.

Total retail value of upgrades will be around $6k.

Fire Away!

Looked at the same thing with my 2017 100D. I’d have to come up with 16k to upgrade to raven. No sunroof, (maybe minor) superior range/ride, MCU2.

Was tempted by the unlimited SC offer and would have jumped if they let me transfer my FSD to the new car.

What I decided is hang in there and see if an MCU2 upgrade becomes available when they install the HW3. The range of the 100D closely match’s the bladder/gotta stretch range for road trips. Kinda like the sun roof. I think with the new
Sonic silver tempest wheels adding 10% range to the car it’ll make it Goldilocks good.

I am also changing the dash decor to the Oak finish.

Total retail value of upgrades will be around $6k.

Fire Away!
We came to the same conclusion last night. If there's an MCU2 upgrade (and AP2 to AP3 upgrade) offered, it would bring our early 2017 S 100D up to be nearly equivalent to an early 2019 pre-Raven Model S for only ~$3000 (except we'd still have our panoramic sunroof and carbon fiber dash). That's a lot cheaper than the $40,000 or so it would take to trade-in for a 2019 Raven. We'll be missing out on the suspension and a little bit of range but we can live with that seeing as how much we could potentially save.

Spoke to accountant and upgrading from 2017 X75 to 2019 Long Range was a financial no brainer.

Sold old car independantly, so got thousands more than Tesla Trade in offer. Get + $6,000 in State/Fed/Utility rebates. Thanks to Section 179 fully depreciated 2017, and will again fully depreciate 2019. ($86,000 business deduction most fully wipes away my corporate profit taxes).

This much more than wipes out the $20K differential in price it cost me to upgrade.

Got 3 more years of warranty, new tires/brakes, reset the clock on maintenance, fantastic new suspension, +100 miles greater range, new V3 computer, faster acceleration, better handling, more comfy seats, rear seat warmers, no more yellow border on display, no more tiny pits on windshield, no more refraction from windshield (seeing double taillights), premium interior with better sounding audio, cornering lights, metal trim on frunk/trunk, front end shudder is gone and fresh windshield wipers.

Biggest difference was the adaptable suspension. Feels like a Rolls Royce. Most all impacts are reduced and the tone of the impacts are much deeper. Really a super quality feel. The new range came in handy when we just took a 1,000 mile shakedown cruise (absolutely no issues) was able to skip several Supercharger stops and range anxiety now is non-existent. We went from San Diego, up to Mammoth Lake (one stop) drove from the East Gate of Yosemite all through the park, lunch at Ahwahnee, and out the other West gate. Still had 100 miles of range when we go to our next Supercharger. Went over to San Francisco for a few nights. Drove down PCH, through Big Sur (without charging).

For the heck of it, took very beautiful twisting back roads of 166 and 33 over to Ojai (Handled fantastic) and then back home. Turned out to be the best get away ever.

Amazed at how much faster the 2019 (with new E series 100Kwh battery charged). Got caught out several times with battery full message in very short order.

I see people all the time, complaining about Elon's tweets. Think they are totally missing the point of just what fantastic things he is accomplishing.

Best car ever!

That only applies to model X. But you didn't take into account that you have to pay income tax on the amount that you sold your old one. Unless I'm missing something, you're not benefitting so much and you're kicking the can down the road (you'll have to pay income tax when you sell the new one too)

Spoke to accountant and upgrading from 2017 X75 to 2019 Long Range was a financial no brainer.

Sold old car independantly, so got thousands more than Tesla Trade in offer. Get + $6,000 in State/Fed/Utility rebates. Thanks to Section 179 fully depreciated 2017, and will again fully depreciate 2019. ($86,000 business deduction most fully wipes away my corporate profit taxes).

This much more than wipes out the $20K differential in price it cost me to upgrade.

Got 3 more years of warranty, new tires/brakes, reset the clock on maintenance, fantastic new suspension, +100 miles greater range, new V3 computer, faster acceleration, better handling, more comfy seats, rear seat warmers, no more yellow border on display, no more tiny pits on windshield, no more refraction from windshield (seeing double taillights), premium interior with better sounding audio, cornering lights, metal trim on frunk/trunk, front end shudder is gone and fresh windshield wipers.

Biggest difference was the adaptable suspension. Feels like a Rolls Royce. Most all impacts are reduced and the tone of the impacts are much deeper. Really a super quality feel. The new range came in handy when we just took a 1,000 mile shakedown cruise (absolutely no issues) was able to skip several Supercharger stops and range anxiety now is non-existent. We went from San Diego, up to Mammoth Lake (one stop) drove from the East Gate of Yosemite all through the park, lunch at Ahwahnee, and out the other West gate. Still had 100 miles of range when we go to our next Supercharger. Went over to San Francisco for a few nights. Drove down PCH, through Big Sur (without charging).

For the heck of it, took very beautiful twisting back roads of 166 and 33 over to Ojai (Handled fantastic) and then back home. Turned out to be the best get away ever.

Amazed at how much faster the 2019 (with new E series 100Kwh battery charged). Got caught out several times with battery full message in very short order.

I see people all the time, complaining about Elon's tweets. Think they are totally missing the point of just what fantastic things he is accomplishing.

Best car ever!

Don't you have to deal with recouping of your tax break on the 2017 car. While you can take 100% depreciation year 1, if you get rid of it before year 5, you have to forfeit a portion I'm pretty sure