Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade 2019 Raven SR for 2020 Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Now that Tesla has dropped the price of the Model S and increased range to 402 and Supercharging to 225 kW, I am tempted to trade in my 10-month old 2019 Raven Standard Range. What do y'all think? I reached out to Tesla and am awaiting to hear back with some numbers.

Our Standard Range is rated at 285 miles but is truly 268 miles real range. It has FUSC and FSD and 12,500 on the odometer. I haven't experienced any range anxiety nor felt the current range is insufficient. My driving is 80-90% City vs freeway and I'm not takimg nearly as many roadtrips as I anticipated. I just want the 400 mile range for future proofing and to have more margin for battery degradation since I plan to keep the car a long time (but thats what I said about the 2019 S). I don't want to keep getting stuck in an upgrade cycle though. I don't use FSD much and don't plan to have it on the 2020. The only thing I would really be giving up is the unlimited mileage warranty on our 2019, and possibly FUSC depending on whether incentives are in place or not with the 2020 inventory (currently they're still including FUSC, which I haven't used much either).

Lastly, I'm not interested in a 3 nor Y. Y is plagued by build quality issues right now. I tried an X but like the S best. Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think the Y is great for Tesla but SUV/Crossovers just don't do it for me, or else I would have bought an X last year. The 6-seat X looked so perfect on paper until I drove it -- it is great compared to others in its segment but ride quality was atrocious pre-Raven at the time. I think the Y would be great for my wife after Tesla irons out the production kinks but the Y is not for me. I also prefer the two displays of the S/X over 3/Y.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16
Thanks, I think the Y is great for Tesla but SUV/Crossovers just don't do it for me, or else I would have bought an X last year. The 6-seat X looked so perfect on paper until I drove it -- it is great compared to others in its segment but ride quality was atrocious pre-Raven at the time. I think the Y would be great for my wife after Tesla irons out the production kinks but the Y is not for me.

Now a Plaid S....that may be a different story. I have the Cybertruck on reserve and plan to keep my 2017 S90D. But if the plaid is compelling enough.....hmmmmm

Yeah I agree that unless you are gonna use the range the benefits don't seem to be worth it.

I just traded in a base 2017 100D (textile seats, coil suspension) to carmax who offered me $46k vs the aforementioned insulting offer of $40,500 from Tesla. I think it was worth more, but not enough to warrant the hassle. Considering the car was somewhere between fair and good condition as KBB would see it, the trade in range was $46-54k, and private party midpoints more around $54-56k. Not sure though if KBB was accounting for the recent $5k price cut for the new models yet and the inevitable downstream depreciation hit. My analysis suggests not, considering the features now standard in a $75k car.

I paid $109k all in on the 100D, minus a $7500 rebate so let's say $101.5k. I just bought the LR+ for $83k. Went completely base model on it, but still here is what I got that my 2017 did not have:

AP 3.0 (vs 2.0)
MCU2 (vs MCU1)
402 miles range (vs 315 after degradation, 335 when new)
225 kw charging (vs 150, and that would only last a minute or two before settling in at 100-110 kw, will see how the LR+ actually does)
Pleather seats (vs textile) and nicer headliner material
Sub Zero Package (vs none)
Adaptive air suspension (vs coils)
Upgraded audio system (vs base)
New car (vs a bunch of dents, dings, and scratches on exterior, a tired interior, and 53,000 miles on the odo)
0-60 in 3.7s vs 4.4s

I did also sneak under the wire for the free unlimited supercharging. Looks like that ends after Tuesday on inventory cars.

Only thing i lost was EAP - I downgraded to AP as opposed to spending $7k for FSD. The only feature I will miss will be auto lane changes, but I tried lane changes on my drive home, and when you turn on your turn signal, the wheel drops its resistance so you can smoothly change lanes and reengage autopilot without having to turn off adaptive cruise. Good enough for me. I will never summon the car to me in a parking lot or use auto park. I like driving the car. I thought long and hard about it. I'm not gonna be deploying my car in some futuristing taxi fleet, and if I really want to change my mind i'll pay more later. I'm not gonna fall for Elon's trap now. Right now I know I'm risking $1000 on next week's price increase, and I'll likely have similar warning before the next increases.

So I got all that for a $37,000 upgrade after taxes. The cost of the upgrade for what I got wasn't much, but the real cost was in the depreciation of my 2017 100D, helped along by $20k of base price decreases plus $10-15k of options bundled into the base price in the last 3 years. Factor that depreciation in as a sunk cost, and I think the upgrade was a steal.

In your cast for a 2019 to 2020, you need to analyze the additional benefits you are getting for the cost in a similar way to I did, and I think it'll be harder to make that work.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SO16
Perhaps you guys are right. Thanks for talking sense into me. Far from a need and just an impulsive want. Carry on and thank you.

Reading your original post you made me really satisfied with my car! MS R LR 2019.

Range no problem. (for your SR)
Like the car.
Display layout better than new alternatives.
Trying to escape depreciation (!!!) by buying an new car (!!!) It's not like Tesla keeps dropping the price, right?)
Future Proof! (an electric car!) ROFL...... Tesla don't keep tweaking spec's either....

Yes, tried all those arguments. Sounds like you already know you have a great car.

Last edited:
Reactions: FatherTo1
Doesn't sound like you're at all tempted to go back to your Lexus LS, huh? Me neither! Now that I'm pretty used to having insane, instantly available, nearly silent torque and acceleration, I don't think I could ever go back to an ICE car, even one as well built as a Lexus LS.

You (and others on this forum) gave me some great advice when I was trying to decide between a 2019 SR and a 2020 LR model earlier this year - range is king! I'm so happy I opted to pay just a little more to get the LR model. In retrospect, it would have been even better to have waited another couple months to get a LR+ model after the price adjustment for roughly the same price I paid for my LR model.

I did buy FSD after the fact for $7k, and am glad I did. I don't really think the features currently available are worth $7k, but I do get a kick out of the new features that keep getting pushed. My wife bought a M3 in March also, but she has no interest in FSD on her car.

Like you, I plan to keep my Tesla for a long time!

Reactions: FatherTo1