Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in 2018 LR RWD for 2021 LR AWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the 2021 feature something that you really want or need?
If not, wait for a bigger change.

I understand justifying it, but I don't see any reason to switch cars for iterative updates.

-FSD (only get Autopilot)
+Dual Motor AWD instead of RWD
+power trunk
+double pane glass
+chrome delete
+updated interior
+auto-dimming mirror
+heated side mirrors
+2 additional years of warranty
+new tires

Would you pay $5,000 for the above?

Considering trading in my 2018 LR RWD for a 2021 LR AWD. It's a $5,000 out of pocket cost. I'm losing FSD on the new car but gaining the items below. Can't decide if I should pull the trigger... any thoughts? ........only 2 years left on my 2018. Hmm!

2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD (24,000 miles)
Model 3 35,000
long rng 14,000
white paint 2,000
19" wheels 1,500
Autopilot 5,000
dest & doc 1,200
+FSD 3,000
total: 61,700
-$7,500 federal tax credit
-$3,000 referral wheels sold
total: 51,000

Owned for 24 months means it cost me $533 per month for 2 years.

2021 Model 3 Long Range
-FSD (only getting Autopilot)
+Dual Motor AWD
+power trunk
+double pane glass
+chrome delete
+updated interior
+auo-dimming mirror
+heated side mirrors
Total: $46,990
-NJ EV -$5,000
Total: $43,190
- 38,200 Trade in 2018 LR RWD

Total out of pocket: $5,000

@milosM3,

Since you only drive 12,000 miles / year, then you should probably defer until 2021 or 2022

Here's my thoughts why you should keep your LR Tesla 3 for the foreseeable future

1. LR Tesla 3 rwd is probably the best driving 3 model (very desirable)

2. FSD version to keep will be the generational re-wriiten version Elon Musk says will be uploaded before Christmas (6 weeks away). Full Self Driving now costs $10,000.
Your Tesla will get his update and you should experience it before making any decision
Elon Musk: Tesla Full Self-Driving is going to have 'quantum leap' w/ new rewrite, coming in '6 to 10 weeks' - Electrek

3. The newer Tesla 3 (2021 or 2022) will probably eventually get the new updated 1 piece cast rear body panel (reduced from 70 parts). First the Yesla Y then the Tesla 3

4. A newer Tesla 3 will eventually get a much better paint job since Tesla will upgrade the Fremont paint booth facility
This newest painting process will be installed in Berlin Gigafaxtoey to satisfy the very picky European buyers
Tesla to have new multi-layered paints for Model Y with 'most-advanced paint shop' at Giga Berlin - Electrek

5. Panasonic says the Tesla 2170 battery pack will increase its energy by 5% annually for the next 4 years
Tesla confirms new 82 kWh battery pack in Model 3, thanks to new cells - Electrek

6. Tesla 3 just received the model update (double paned glass, octovalve, new steering wheel & console, etc)
Tesla to update Model 3 center console, steering wheel, add heat pump and more, rumor says - Electrek

So, there's lots of reasons to wait but the new Tesla 3 update is also very significant.
IMHO, I would wait one or two years for an even better Tesla 3 version...especially the paint and 1 piece rear body panels

P.S. I'm having the same thoughts with my own Tesla 3 and will wait to update to the 2022!
I've got over 50,000 miles on mine and love every minute.
I initially thought about upgrading to the eventual Model S refresh but now I'm more in love with my 3!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmie and geometro
-FSD (only get Autopilot)
+Dual Motor AWD instead of RWD
+power trunk
+double pane glass
+chrome delete
+updated interior
+auto-dimming mirror
+heated side mirrors
+2 additional years of warranty
+new tires

Would you pay $5,000 for the above?
Your tires are only halfway through their lifetime, and so is your warranty. So yes, you get new tires and longer warranty but you still haven't "used up" what you already have.
Also, a new car will have the biggest portion of its devaluation the first couple of years, so if they make a TM3 with a 100kW battery in 2 years then you've had to eat not 1, but 2 depreciations (provided you want to switch again).

But in the end it's your money. If those things would make you happier then I don't think financial arguments can convince you otherwise

If your current car is fine then you really don't need the new one

But if you really want it then it's your call. It's your money.

Also, can spend $2,000 for the acceleration boost to 3.7 0-60, but that's more money, for more fun.

I'm plenty fine with my 2019 SR+ for awhile. I'll eventually upgrade to an AWD or Performance with the 4680 cells in the future.

The new 3 with 350+ mile range is really nice but it would literally be a waste of my money as there is nothing wrong with my car (that and all the mods I've done to it)

And keep in mind, like I mentioned, in about ~2 years once Tesla starts putting in 4680 cells in the 3 the AWD will easily have a 400+ mile range and then you and I and everyone will be wanting that one.

Resist the urge I say!

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT
@milosM3,

Since you only drive 12,000 miles / year, then you should probably defer until 2021 or 2022

Here's my thoughts why you should keep your LR Tesla 3 for the foreseeable future

1. LR Tesla 3 rwd is probably the best driving 3 model (very desirable)

2. FSD version to keep will be the generational re-wriiten version Elon Musk says will be uploaded before Christmas (6 weeks away). Full Self Driving now costs $10,000.
Your Tesla will get his update and you should experience it before making any decision
Elon Musk: Tesla Full Self-Driving is going to have 'quantum leap' w/ new rewrite, coming in '6 to 10 weeks' - Electrek

3. The newer Tesla 3 (2021 or 2022) will probably eventually get the new updated 1 piece cast rear body panel (reduced from 70 parts). First the Yesla Y then the Tesla 3

4. A newer Tesla 3 will eventually get a much better paint job since Tesla will upgrade the Fremont paint booth facility
This newest painting process will be installed in Berlin Gigafaxtoey to satisfy the very picky European buyers
Tesla to have new multi-layered paints for Model Y with 'most-advanced paint shop' at Giga Berlin - Electrek

5. Panasonic says the Tesla 2170 battery pack will increase its energy by 5% annually for the next 4 years
Tesla confirms new 82 kWh battery pack in Model 3, thanks to new cells - Electrek

6. Tesla 3 just received the model update (double paned glass, octovalve, new steering wheel & console, etc)
Tesla to update Model 3 center console, steering wheel, add heat pump and more, rumor says - Electrek

So, there's lots of reasons to wait but the new Tesla 3 update is also very significant.
IMHO, I would wait one or two years for an even better Tesla 3 version...especially the paint and 1 piece rear body panels

P.S. I'm having the same thoughts with my own Tesla 3 and will wait to update to the 2022!
I've got over 50,000 miles on mine and love every minute.
I initially thought about upgrading to the eventual Model S refresh but now I'm more in love with my 3!!

Very good insight.

Same boat here, 74K mile (in 24 months) 2018 LR AWD FSD M3.

Contemplating on using $5K incentive (expires soon) and $1K from power company (expires end of Dec) to upgrade to 2021 Performance.

I am leaning onto keep using my current car vs the upgrade coz I am going to put that much mileage (35K mile per year) anyway, using up warranty by mile after < 2 year time.

Rationalizing to use the incentives before expiration, but must resist these irrational urge. SMH. :(:eek::confused::D

We have FSD on our 2018 Model 3. It was a $2K upgrade after paying $5K for EAP. If we had to buy a new Model 3 today, there is no way we would ever consider paying $10K for FSD, certainly not in it’s current beta form.

So if I were in your situation, I would think long and hard about selling a car with FSD and buying a car without it. You will get to experience the evolution of FSD as Tesla rolls out new software upgrades, which I think will eventually be pretty impressive. Is it worth giving that up to get the relatively minor upgrades to the 2021 model?

I've decided to wait until at least Jan 6th to make a decision, need to see if the Dems will gain control of Senate which would allow Biden to pass the Federal EV credit ($+7500) for Tesla again;
Tesla and GM’s EV tax credit may see resurgence under Biden presidency

I'm in NJ and ended up selling my 2020 stealth to Vroom for 4k more than I owed. I went and ordered a 2021 P3 that I'm waiting for now. So I get the 4k from Vroom and 5k from the state. 9k in my pocket and I get a new P3 :)

I read somewhere that biden could bring the incentives back via executive order and wouldn't need the senate, but who knows.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I'm in NJ and ended up selling my 2020 stealth to Vroom for 4k more than I owed. I went and ordered a 2021 P3 that I'm waiting for now. So I get the 4k from Vroom and 5k from the state. 9k in my pocket and I get a new P3 :)

I read somewhere that biden could bring the incentives back via executive order and wouldn't need the senate, but who knows.

Is there any time period that you are required to keep your car once you receive the state tax credit? In California if you sell the car within three years they claw back the rebate on a prorated basis. And sadly, the rebate is limited now to one per person.

How was your experience with Vroom? I had a quote from Vroom too, $2000 more than Tesla, but decided to pass since I am a bit uncomfortable with the process. You sign over your title and they take your car, then 2 days later they mail you a check. The quote they give out is sight unseen. What if they determine that are flaws to your car and decide to reduce the price after they pick up your car?

I browsed Vroom's Model 3 inventory couple of times. First time it was showing like 180 cars. Last week it showed 250!

How was your experience with Vroom? I had a quote from Vroom too, $2000 more than Tesla, but decided to pass since I am a bit uncomfortable with the process. You sign over your title and they take your car, then 2 days later they mail you a check. The quote they give out is sight unseen. What if they determine that are flaws to your car and decide to reduce the price after they pick up your car?

I browsed Vroom's Model 3 inventory couple of times. First time it was showing like 180 cars. Last week it showed 250!

I had a great experience with them, all in all it took about a week. I got a quote for 47,500 and I sat on it a few days, then they upped it to 48k. I pulled the trigger, they came to pick up the car and I emailed them the bill of lading. I had a check in hand 2 days later via fedex.

My car was in great condition and the shipper takes pics of the entire car when they pick it up. My car was financed and they paid what I owed and sent me a check for the difference.

They are paying top dollar for teslas.

I had a great experience with them, all in all it took about a week. I got a quote for 47,500 and I sat on it a few days, then they upped it to 48k. I pulled the trigger, they came to pick up the car and I emailed them the bill of lading. I had a check in hand 2 days later via fedex.

My car was in great condition and the shipper takes pics of the entire car when they pick it up. My car was financed and they paid what I owed and sent me a check for the difference.

They are paying top dollar for teslas.
You sure got a sweet deal, especially if you were one of the lucky ones to have scored a stealth P for $50k, and I'm guessing you are. I do have to wonder how Vroom moves their huge inventory of Model 3s..

You sure got a sweet deal, especially if you were one of the lucky ones to have scored a stealth P for $50k, and I'm guessing you are. I do have to wonder how Vroom moves their huge inventory of Model 3s..

I was, I got the stealth fresh off a transport, and it took 5 days from order to have the car in my garage. I've been waiting for my new P3 since Oct 25th and it's killing me lol.

I see you are in NC, I'm guessing you don't drive around in snow much with that RWD. Different story up here.
True, little if any snow where I am but gets pretty heavy within a 1-2 hour drive to the mountains. RWD has been doing just fine.

On a related note, I lived for several years in Morristown-Florham Park-Chatham-Whippany area in NJ and loved it. One of the pluses was how well and how quickly roads were cleared after snowfalls...very impressive. That was in the ‘80’s, can’t speak for today. But I do have very fond memories of my years in NJ.