Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in a 2020 MY for a 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Toronto Canada. I took delivery of MY on September 26. A few issues have been rectified. One is not; a high pitch beeping sound appears when accelerating to about 63km/hr and continues until about 75km/hr. I went to the SC two times on this issue but both centers told me that it is normal noise. I really don't think so, but can't do anything. Today I checked on the trade in value of my MY with Tesla. Their answer was CAD64800, I bought my new MY for CAD69900. So, do you think it is worth the switch and get the new features and 1 year of free supercharging. Any comments are welcome.

It's debatable if your only focusing on the free supercharging, there's a limit to it etc... not that much savings and the depreciation is more of a loss. Having said that, the front sides laminated glass, dimming side view mirrors, and the USB 3.0 glove and the taillights box are the only real current upgrades, maybe a modified plastic trim for better fit or material here there, but overall same,the headlights are not yet been seen on the Y only on the refreshed 3 same for the center console. So really no really "big" changes. The glass can be retrofitted, lol other stuff no. But overall its not time yet. BTW I am VIN 000819 Y-PUP here, so I had lots of services to fix a bunch of stuff. The noise seems to be inverter, mine has a similar pitch but, if you could check another one either via a club to rideshare maybe you could put the issue at ease. Also do a test drive of a new one anything over vin 80k see if for you its different or worth it. I personally will wait for anything by summer or after they change the center console, to see if anything worth while is introduced, the rumored biohazard would do it for me since the wifey is asthmatic, but otherwise its wait and see.

• Informative
Reactions: gundarx
Wait for the slightly larger capacity battery pack (82kWh versus the current 78.5kWh battery) in the 2021 Model 3 and also Model Y vehicles; also worth waiting for the rumored heated steering wheel. Wait long enough and Tesla may even offer air suspension on the Model Y but there is no current rumor when this might happen.

Reactions: Mitchoacan
5k for 2.5 months? debatable. but if you add in the recent features such as laminated windows, usb, and auto-dimming, that's at least 1-2k (parts plus labor, IF you can get the usb in glove box)

Since you think you are trading in a potentially defective vehicle in your view, I say it's worth it. Maybe a color change at the same time? Another 3-4k save....

and who knows, that metal scroll wheel steering might just have a heated steering lurking behind the covers....

(love how Tesla premade these parts and then do a software update to enable them like it's magic)

Personally, keeping it for 3 years is your sweet spot. In 3 years, you are probably looking at a $5k equity vs. being upside down now. By then, most of the refreshed items would be included and build quality issues would have been rectified as well. My guess is there will be a ton more people wanting to get into the EV world with the Y at around $35k-40k mark.

Even if you swapped now, in 6 months there will likely be a bunch of new stuff you wish you would have waited for. Tesla is trying to make the perfect car for everyone and reduce costs at the same time, this is not going to happen overnight and I foresee changes happening on a regular basis. Wait for the 82kwh battery? Once it's out there will be rumours of a higher capacity if not better tech. You will never be ahead of progress no matter how long you wait or how hard you try.

I live in Toronto Canada. I took delivery of MY on September 26. A few issues have been rectified.
One is not; a high pitch beeping sound appears when accelerating to about 63km/hr and continues until about 75km/hr.
I went to the SC two times on this issue but both centers told me that it is normal noise. I really don't think so, but can't do anything.
Today I checked on the trade in value of my MY with Tesla. Their answer was CAD64800, I bought my new MY for CAD69900.
So, do you think it is worth the switch and get the new features and 1 year of free supercharging. Any comments are welcome.
In Ontario, don't you have Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) of 13% made up from 8% provincial sales tax and a 5% federal sales tax?

That's a lot of money burned when you get a new car !!!

Strong loyalty to be given a lemon, then told it’s “in spec, go pound sand,” and be willing to sell it for a $5k loss, then turn around and buy a new one of the same vehicle at full price.

Most would just sell it and buy some other brand.

^100%

I live in Toronto Canada. I took delivery of MY on September 26. A few issues have been rectified. One is not; a high pitch beeping sound appears when accelerating to about 63km/hr and continues until about 75km/hr. I went to the SC two times on this issue but both centers told me that it is normal noise. I really don't think so, but can't do anything. Today I checked on the trade in value of my MY with Tesla. Their answer was CAD64800, I bought my new MY for CAD69900. So, do you think it is worth the switch and get the new features and 1 year of free supercharging. Any comments are welcome.

I don't know what consumer protection's (lemon laws) look like in Canada, but I would keep pressing the issue until it is fixed or bought back. You shouldn't be out of pocket $5k+ because they can't solve the issue.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Try to do some investigation or debugging and don't just hand stuff off to the Service Center expecting they'll solve your problem. It'll help everyone involved and leave you less frustrated.

For example, I had an annoying metallic rattle coming from the top area of the back hatch when driving slowly. I brought it to the Service Center, but they didn't fix it. I had some time and started poking around and found it was actually coming from the rear middle seat buckle. I gave the Service Center some wrong info so they weren't able to identify and fix the rattle. I had a service ranger come out and tighten my seat buckle (it took minutes, I didn't have the super low profile T45 wrench) to solve the problem.

You can pull the rear seats if you want capture the sound from the rear motor and drive unit. Include it when you make a service appointment.

Correct tlt99, I'll be paying about 650bucks more on HST. I think I know what I should do. Not switching and wait, also at the same time continue my complaint after the winter. Thank you.

Try to do some investigation or debugging and don't just hand stuff off to the Service Center expecting they'll solve your problem. It'll help everyone involved and leave you less frustrated.

For example, I had an annoying metallic rattle coming from the top area of the back hatch when driving slowly. I brought it to the Service Center, but they didn't fix it. I had some time and started poking around and found it was actually coming from the rear middle seat buckle. I gave the Service Center some wrong info so they weren't able to identify and fix the rattle. I had a service ranger come out and tighten my seat buckle (it took minutes, I didn't have the super low profile T45 wrench) to solve the problem.

You can pull the rear seats if you want capture the sound from the rear motor and drive unit. Include it when you make a service appointment.

I did something like you suggested. I initially had a window pop/clicking noise. Service tried two times to fix it and didn't improve. Third time, I decide to search around the forums and found a similar problem. Suggested to the service center that I think it might be the window regulator based off of someone else's similar problem on TMC forum. I got a response saying we do not base our diagnosis off your suggestion or forum research and that their technicians will do their own testings. 5 minutes later, I get an e-mail with parts ordered for a window regulator replacement. Problem was fixed ever since. :cool:

I did something like you suggested. I initially had a window pop/clicking noise. Service tried two times to fix it and didn't improve. Third time, I decide to search around the forums and found a similar problem. Suggested to the service center that I think it might be the window regulator based off of someone else's similar problem on TMC forum. I got a response saying we do not base our diagnosis off your suggestion or forum research and that their technicians will do their own testings. 5 minutes later, I get an e-mail with parts ordered for a window regulator replacement. Problem was fixed ever since. :cool:

You'd think with all the free labour/research available online by owners, that a company as agile as Tesla would take these opportunities to reduce the amount of work required. Enthusiastic owners like you guys are precisely the kind of people to be basing their diagnoses off of!

Hopefully the packages in Europe regarding right to repair drift towards North America, thereby reducing pressure on their service centers and giving the rest of us DIY geeks/enthusiasts a chance to fix whatever annoys us with our cars!

You'd think with all the free labour/research available online by owners, that a company as agile as Tesla would take these opportunities to reduce the amount of work required. Enthusiastic owners like you guys are precisely the kind of people to be basing their diagnoses off of!

Hopefully the packages in Europe regarding right to repair drift towards North America, thereby reducing pressure on their service centers and giving the rest of us DIY geeks/enthusiasts a chance to fix whatever annoys us with our cars!
Also, to the OP: No, don't pay more money to buy a new car. Get the existing issue fixed. Record it if you have to. Like, clearly if you hear a noise one of the two things must be true:

1. You're wrong, there is no noise or it's not as bad as you think it is, and you're losing your mind.
2. You're right, and they should fix this.

Don't let them gaslight (LED light?) you!