Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Current Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remove the Honda from the picture and it's still not a good investment. Perhaps the only time buying an S would be a good investment is if you're running a commercial ride service where you plan to put 400K miles on it in 8 years and take advantage of multiple free DU and batteries replacements under the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty.

a New S or Used? Not sure your price point.
I bought a 3 to replace my S, given it's newer tech and price point. I couldn't personally justify the S over the 3.

I'm a SUV guy, so I'm replacing my 3 with a X. But as for sedans... I'd get the 3. But to each their own. the S is certainly stunning looking, and with the new suspension, I'm sure amazing. But... the 3 is just a better 'car' for car purposes. Anyway... flame on lol.

I owned a Model S for 50,000 miles, and now a 3 for 10,000. And soon a Model X ;)

I bought a 3 to replace my S, given it's newer tech and price point. I couldn't personally justify the S over the 3.

I'm a SUV guy, so I'm replacing my 3 with a X. But as for sedans... I'd get the 3. But to each their own. the S is certainly stunning looking, and with the new suspension, I'm sure amazing. But... the 3 is just a better 'car' for car purposes. Anyway... flame on lol.

I owned a Model S for 50,000 miles, and now a 3 for 10,000. And soon a Model X ;)
Would for sure

Great feedback! However I was looking into a new model S.

A car purchase is never a good investment. I replaced a 3 year old Toyota Camry with my first Model S. Terrible choice financially but I don’t regret it for a second. The Model S is a quantum leap above a Camry or an Accord in almost all aspects. I later traded in the first S (85-D) at 3 years of age on a 2018 100-D. Again a poor financial decision but was worth it to me to get AP 2.5 hardware and MCU-2.

Reactions: Struja
Remove the Honda from the picture and it's still not a good investment. Perhaps the only time buying an S would be a good investment is if you're running a commercial ride service where you plan to put 400K miles on it in 8 years and take advantage of multiple free DU and batteries replacements under the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty.
Have you experiences Tesla service lately? I have. I wouldn't run any commercial enterprise relying on Teslas. Tesla service used to be the shining star in the Tesla experience, now it's gone down the crapper and sinking quick. Tesla's are great cars to drive, when they work. If you need service, it sucks all the joy out. It didn't used to be this way until this year. Sadly, with push for cost cutting, Tesla production quality is suffering and service centers are so overwhelmed and resource limited, they no longer can pick up the slack. Tesla is even resorting to shady tactics, like the whole refusal to fix yellow screen in brand new cars (not the service center's fault corporate won't let them swap screens, not give any answers beyond "don't replace the screens").

As many others have echoed: Definitely not a good investment, but a very fun investment.

I stretched myself to be able to afford my Model S, and while it has caused a bit of stress here and there, driving it (or more, letting it drive itself) has been a massive stress relief for me.

Small piece of advice on "trading in" your current car. Tesla matches CarMax and such, so get quotes from them before going to Tesla, as they are far more likely to low-ball you on your current car.