Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade in damaged!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a very happy owner of a 2019 LR AWD model 3. Since the trade in value is fantastic right now, I decided to order a new one that is due to be delivered in July.
I was in the process of getting a quote on my trade in(I also planned to shop it around).
As my luck would have it, someone smashed into my car last week in a parking lot and destroyed my driver door. I have a $3k quote to fix it but it can't be done until June.
I know that I can get a diminished value number, but do any of you have experience with a damaged trade in? I'm really curious how much I'll get whacked and how this absurd situation is going to play out. Even after the car gets fixed I assume I'll get dinged a few grand.

I got hit by someone else and their insurance is going to pay for it.
I've read a little about making sure the other guy's insurance compensates you for "diminished value."

It's likely your trade-in will be worth less due to the accident. That's where the diminished value comes in, the guy's insurance company should compensate you for this loss of value.

I've no experience with asking for this type of compensation but just wanted to mention it here.

Reactions: toolman335
I've read a little about making sure the other guy's insurance compensates you for "diminished value."

It's likely your trade-in will be worth less due to the accident. That's where the diminished value comes in, the guy's insurance company should compensate you for this loss of value.

I've no experience with asking for this type of compensation but just wanted to mention it here.
Yes absolutely people have told me that. I appreciate your advice thanks!