Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in Drama, should I just walk away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm angry. I feel like Tesla is supposed to make things simpler and they made it much worse. I guess this is a modified AITA post but here's where I'm at.

Placed an order on 1/6 for an MYP They gave me a very reasonable trade in quote on my M3LR of $40,100. I accepted
That quote expired in Feb and I updated my mileage and FSD pricing had changed and the new quote they gave me was $42,100.
I was VIN'ed with a delivery in early march but was traveling so requested a Hold through Mach 17.
My trade in expired on 3/10 and they prompted me for my mileage which I updated and they came back at $37,500.
I declined the trade. And my EDD was May-June
The next day I got an alert saying my EDD was 3/24-3/30 and told to schedule my delivery appointment.
I contacted Tesla and asked them if I could still add my trade.
They opened the trade portal and it showed my trade in value as $43,400 which I accepted. Then it asked me for mileage (which hadn't changed in the week since I was last prompted) and it went back to pending again (this was Saturday).
Today I log in and now they're offering me $39,000.

They won't budge. They told me I could sell the car privately and I should be glad that they came up. What kind of bs is that though? What dealer would play that kind of game with you. They take no responsibility and it takes 40 min to reach a human to talk to. I don't need an MYP, I wanted it. But I really feel like a car company shouldn't be allowed to swing $5k in any direction they want after you've reached an agreement.

It makes me want to walk away. I know there's a whole line of people behind me but what would you do?

It sucks I hear you and totally understand your frustration. If they won't budge you only have a few options on how you react (you can't control them). You keep the car and sell it privately, sell the car to another 3rd party dealer like vroom, walk away, or accept the lower trade in offer. Does it suck yes but those are the options...don't let someone else make you upset. Take control and exercise your options.

I'm angry. I feel like Tesla is supposed to make things simpler and they made it much worse. I guess this is a modified AITA post but here's where I'm at.

Placed an order on 1/6 for an MYP They gave me a very reasonable trade in quote on my M3LR of $40,100. I accepted
That quote expired in Feb and I updated my mileage and FSD pricing had changed and the new quote they gave me was $42,100.
I was VIN'ed with a delivery in early march but was traveling so requested a Hold through Mach 17.
My trade in expired on 3/10 and they prompted me for my mileage which I updated and they came back at $37,500.
I declined the trade. And my EDD was May-June
The next day I got an alert saying my EDD was 3/24-3/30 and told to schedule my delivery appointment.
I contacted Tesla and asked them if I could still add my trade.
They opened the trade portal and it showed my trade in value as $43,400 which I accepted. Then it asked me for mileage (which hadn't changed in the week since I was last prompted) and it went back to pending again (this was Saturday).
Today I log in and now they're offering me $39,000.

They won't budge. They told me I could sell the car privately and I should be glad that they came up. What kind of bs is that though? What dealer would play that kind of game with you. They take no responsibility and it takes 40 min to reach a human to talk to. I don't need an MYP, I wanted it. But I really feel like a car company shouldn't be allowed to swing $5k in any direction they want after you've reached an agreement.

It makes me want to walk away. I know there's a whole line of people behind me but what would you do?
Maybe your milage was just on the threshold of lower pricing. Most of it is automated, its not like someone is looking over your trade in and picking a $ amount. My guess is the old milage was say 49,000 and updated was over 50,000 or some sort of threshold the system uses to calculate.

Go to one of the many online sites and type in your VIN and see what they offer you. VROOM has given me the best offer so far, and Carmax was second.

Yeah I agree with all of you so far no guess I’m just jaded. Like Tesla used to care and now I’m just a number. Which yay for progress but they didn’t have to abandon their values along the way.

I feel like if it dropped by 300 dollars I’d be like yeah okay but it’s the huge range that bothers me.

Reactions: kavyboy
Why don't you use one of the following and get more money:
Vroom
Carvana
Shift
Driveway
Carbuyerusa

I know there are other companies as well you can shop. You will get more money than trading into Tesla and that's even factoring in the Sales tax savings you would get from the trade.
Never checked carbuyerusa. Never heard of them. Thanks. Online, gave me best offer so far.

Vroom
Carvana
Shift
Driveway
Carbuyerusa

I know there are other companies as well you can shop. You will get more money than trading into Tesla and that's even factoring in the Sales tax savings you would get from the trade.
I think it really depends on the state. Carvana came back below 30k, and Vroom never gave me an automated number. Maybe my car is bad luck haha

Vroom
Carvana
Shift
Driveway
Carbuyerusa

I had a good experience sell my car to Shift. If was an easy process and they offered the highest of everyone I checked with. They came out looked it, filled out some paperwork. Drove off in the car and I had a direct deposit in my account 2 days later.

In addition to the online sales, you can shop your car at local dealers. There is a strip of dealers near me, and on Presidents day i shopped my trade around the strip. Went in 7 different dealers, and told them I was selling the car "today", and whomever offered me the most got it.

Long story short, it was sold at the end of the day for an offer that was 5k higher then Tesla's trade in offer. Just another option to see what the real tradein value is. You can start with KBB cash offer and go from there. Good luck!

Shift gave me the best price.. well, Carvana did but never got back to me to verify the documents etc.. The Shift deal was pretty painless but damn they nit pick over chips in the paint and rims. I didnt have very much but you can easily lose 500 off the offer in a few mins.

They did the same bait & switch to me a year ago. Agreed on a price ($21K) and when it was time to settle they dropped their offer by $2,000 ($19K) because of the dime-sized dent, claiming that the entire hatchback would need to be replaced because of it. Was so pissed I was ready to walk away from the entire deal. Ending up just buying my Y with a new loan. And sold my trade-in for $4,000 more ($23K) than Tesla's final offer to a local dealer. I specifically asked about the dime-sized dent and the dealer who bought the car said it's absolutely nothing to worry about and wouldn't affect their purchase quote. Went on to say any paintless dent repair would have it fixed in a few mins for like $25.

In the end, I'm so glad I didn't give them my trade. Not only did I get a ton more money selling it myself.. but I have no doubt they would have immediately auctioned off my car and profited some additional thousands off me. As for the absolute icing on the cake.. because it was a Honda.. and a Honda dealer bought it.. once I signed the sales paperwork over to the Honda Dealer they helped me contact Honda Financial and got my warranty/maintenance contract on the car prorated and was refunded another $1,200!! Something I didn't even think was possible. Figured it was permanently prepaid and stuck with the vehicle.

Lesson learned.. don't bother trading in your vehicle to Tesla. You can definitely get much more practically anywhere else. I walked away with over $5,000 more. And other places won't play games. Carvana & Vroom were both offering $22K.

Reactions: KJD
They did the same bait & switch to me a year ago. Agreed on a price ($21K) and when it was time to settle they dropped their offer by $2,000 ($19K) because of the dime-sized dent, claiming that the entire hatchback would need to be replaced because of it. Was so pissed I was ready to walk away from the entire deal. Ending up just buying my Y with a new loan. And sold my trade-in for $4,000 more ($23K) than Tesla's final offer to a local dealer. I specifically asked about the dime-sized dent and the dealer who bought the car said it's absolutely nothing to worry about and wouldn't affect their purchase quote. Went on to say any paintless dent repair would have it fixed in a few mins for like $25.

In the end, I'm so glad I didn't give them my trade. Not only did I get a ton more money selling it myself.. but I have no doubt they would have immediately auctioned off my car and profited some additional thousands off me. As for the absolute icing on the cake.. because it was a Honda.. and a Honda dealer bought it.. once I signed the sales paperwork over to the Honda Dealer they helped me contact Honda Financial and got my warranty/maintenance contract on the car prorated and was refunded another $1,200!! Something I didn't even think was possible. Figured it was permanently prepaid and stuck with the vehicle.

Lesson learned.. don't bother trading in your vehicle to Tesla. You can definitely get much more practically anywhere else. I walked away with over $5,000 more. And other places won't play games. Carvana & Vroom were both offering $22K.
They were able to confirm a dent online enough to knock it down? Or you're saying they tried to say something on the day of? Because my last experience was them was once you were there they didn't care about the trade they almost forgot to take the keys.

Reactions: preilly44
They were able to confirm a dent online enough to knock it down? Or you're saying they tried to say something on the day of? Because my last experience was them was once you were there they didn't care about the trade they almost forgot to take the keys.
When they are ready to accept the vehicle (like you actually drop it off).. they request pictures of it first. And yeah to be honest Im surprised they even picked up the dent in the pictures. That said they were super high quality pictures.