Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in experience (AutoNation, CarMax, Private Party, etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used autotrader, carmax, autonation and local Audi dealership for my trade which was a 2012 Audi A7. Autotrader came in the lowest at less than $50k. Autonation was $51.5k, Carmax was $53k and Local Audi was $53.5k. Definitely worth shopping around for trade in deals. I ended up going with Autonation even though it was the second lowest because of the tax savings with a trade. The tax savings was a little over $3k so even though autonation was $2k below the best deal I still saved $1k going with Autonation.

I used autotrader, carmax, autonation and local Audi dealership for my trade which was a 2012 Audi A7. Autotrader came in the lowest at less than $50k. Autonation was $51.5k, Carmax was $53k and Local Audi was $53.5k. Definitely worth shopping around for trade in deals. I ended up going with Autonation even though it was the second lowest because of the tax savings with a trade. The tax savings was a little over $3k so even though autonation was $2k below the best deal I still saved $1k going with Autonation.

You could have got the tax savings at a non AutoNation dealer as well (I used my local Audi dealer--non AutoNation, and got the tax savings reflected on MVPA).

BTW, Plano Audi is AutoNation.

+1 CarMax.

Tried selling my M5 to dealer - they sounded excited but couldn't even match Bluebook value. Tried selling it privately and had a buyer but fell through. Stopped by CarMax almost on a whim, and walked away with $7,500 more than my dealer offered, even more than I was getting from the private buyer. Smooth process, friendly no-drama staff - a pleasant experience.

+1 CarMax
I visited this thread 2 months ago to see folks' opinions on this aspect of buying Mrs T. Autonation provides no tax benefits in VA and I spoke with a couple of people in the area that didn't get very good offers from them, so my next try was Carmax. My trade in was a 10 year old Acura TSX that I kept in very good shape. The simplicity of the process and the fairness of the price made it an easy call. They gave me close to Blue Book, I didn't have to hassle with a private sale and anything that might come back down the road, and the only 2 other places I tried came in $2k less / $500 less.

For those getting told you can't apply trade to your Tesla--here's a snap shot of my MVPA from Tesla showing trade.

The MVPA is what the local (Texas at least) tax office will value the car value (minus trade). By doing this, I saved $3K in taxes. And NO I didn't use Autonation.

Capturet_zpsce99ebe8.png

+1 CarMax. This is after receiving a quote from Autonation, 3 Benz Dealerships and even a quote from AutoTrader buyers in the Boston area. Got about $3K more than the second highest offer (which was from the dealership where I had purchased our Mercedes).

+1 CarMax. This is after receiving a quote from Autonation, 3 Benz Dealerships and even a quote from AutoTrader buyers in the Boston area. Got about $3K more than the second highest offer (which was from the dealership where I had purchased our Mercedes).

+1: Same experience with CarMax versus dealer that I orginally purchased from (several times)

Just thought I would let everyone know how my experience went with trading in my 2011 toyota Prius III with 65,000 to Auto Nation. They first offered me $13,500 I didn't except right away. I got a call about a week later asking me if I would except the price of $13,500 I told them I was looking for around $14,000. Auto Nation called me back after speaking to a manager and offered me $13,750. I excepted there offer because I will get to deduct the money I receive for the Prius off of my state taxes. (WI) They came today, did the inspection, had no problems at all. I pretty much told them in my online estimate that the car was almost perfect. There are a few scratches but nothing to noticeable. Had no issues with anything. The appraiser came in my house, I signed over the title, and some other paperwork. Get to keep my car till my New Tesla is finished in about a week!:smile:

+1 for CarMax. Autonation offered me $14,800 for my 2009 IS250 with 60k. Figured I'd stop by CarMax they offered 17k after appraisal. I didn't want to bother with private party as there's almost as many IS250's on the road here in LA as Prius's (I have a 2012 too)

I bought my MS in mid January of this year in TX. Tesla sent my info and pictures of my trade-in to 4 dealers. The top bid was KBB high trade-in ("excellent condition"), which I accepted. Very smooth experience, I just drove my trade-in down to the SC and picked up my MS. The Tesla invoice reflected the trade-in so I got the sales-tax savings ($2K).

Autonation offered same price as dealers in the area. I chose Autonation as it will allow me to get the sales tax credit and they will allow me to keep car until my delivery date. Once I take delivery I just leave the vehicle with Tesla. Inspection happened about two weeks back and they paid off lien on truck immediately after inspection.

Autonation offered same price as dealers in the area. I chose Autonation as it will allow me to get the sales tax credit and they will allow me to keep car until my delivery date. Once I take delivery I just leave the vehicle with Tesla. Inspection happened about two weeks back and they paid off lien on truck immediately after inspection.

Wow. Doesn't get much better than that!

AutoNation came an inspected my car today. No issues getting the amount we agreed upon based on the online quote. Very happy with the experience. All that is left is for them to come pick up the vehicle later this week....oh and I still need my Tesla but that is only a few weeks away now!

I had a great experience with Autonation. They gave the quote online. For inspection they gave address of a facility. I told them I am busy and will appreciate a visit. They came to my home and inspected the car. Then when I picked Stela, I dropped my old car at Tesla service center and that was it. Can't be easier !!!

The local (Seattle) Tesla folks (great people) referred me to a local guy who buys cars. They were surprisingly "pushy" about "are you selling your car?" and "this guy is better than Autonation!". I took the card and dealing with him was a nightmare. Short version of the story is that I contacted Autonation and VERY quickly sold my car to them. Very happy with their processes and price offered (I know, I know, - could have squeezed out more dollars by advertising and selling myself!)

Anyway, I would not hesitate recommending Autonation to anyone I know.

Here's my story on the "trade in" I sold a 2008 C6 Corvette with 70k miles to a private party for $26k, the auto nation offer was $21k Yes, it is a little more difficult to have people come to your home and deal with the tire kickers and free ride types, but for $5k, I'll put up with it. Please note I'm not knocking auto nation or other used car re sellers.

ETA: Maybe someone who traded in their car to auto nation could answer a question for me, did the trade in affect the sales tax paid? Did Tesla's sales ticket show the trade in and make the taxable amount less? Thanks

Last edited: