TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Trade-In Experience

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DetTigers, Jul 17, 2018.

1. DetTigers

DetTigers Member

Those of you who traded in a vehicle to Tesla- what the process like? At what point did you fill out the questionnaire and submit pictures to get a quote? Was it well before you got a VIN/delivery date? Was Tesla’s offer in the ballpark of what other dealerships would offer? Similar to KBB trade in value?

2. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Tesla usually offers a few thousand under wholesale. You are better off selling it yourself.

3. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Low ball offers for the most part ... :rolleyes:

4. Waited756days

Waited756days Member

I traded in my 2014 Ford Focus Electric and Tesla gave me more than I paid for it 16 months earlier. No complaints here.

5. voltaren

voltaren Member

If you trade in a Tesla, they severely lowball you... I was lowballed by about $20k. Makes me wonder why anyone would trade in their Tesla for a new one.

If it’s not a Tesla, they told me they used Carmax who ultimately receives the car. Tesla handles it to deduct the trade-in in case your state allows a trade-in reduction on sales tax.

6. dixosw

dixosw Member

I requested a trade-in with Tesla and they text your a URL to complete the process, upload pics etc. Offer arrived next day and was lower than expected. Surprisingly, CarMax was even lower so perhaps their offer wasn't too low after all. In the end, I declined the trade-in and went with Carvana for $1500 more. Once the (lack of) trade-in with Tesla was sorted I got a VIN and delivery date within a couple of days. Delivery is scheduled for next week.

7. soulstar

soulstar Member

The trade in option is available for you to action when it's very close to delivery time. A lot of folks will say they lowball but my guess is that whatever they use to determine their offer value depends on the region. Me for example, Tesla was the highest offer. They offered 1.5k over what Carmax and Carvana offered. Tesla was in the midrange of the KBB value while Carmax was way below value.

Your ISA will let you know when it is a good time to start the trade in process started. It's valid for 1 week after their offer so this is the reason why they don't want you to start the process until delivery date is closer.