Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-In Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you who traded in a vehicle to Tesla- what the process like? At what point did you fill out the questionnaire and submit pictures to get a quote? Was it well before you got a VIN/delivery date? Was Tesla’s offer in the ballpark of what other dealerships would offer? Similar to KBB trade in value?

If you trade in a Tesla, they severely lowball you... I was lowballed by about $20k. Makes me wonder why anyone would trade in their Tesla for a new one.

If it’s not a Tesla, they told me they used Carmax who ultimately receives the car. Tesla handles it to deduct the trade-in in case your state allows a trade-in reduction on sales tax.

I requested a trade-in with Tesla and they text your a URL to complete the process, upload pics etc. Offer arrived next day and was lower than expected. Surprisingly, CarMax was even lower so perhaps their offer wasn't too low after all. In the end, I declined the trade-in and went with Carvana for $1500 more. Once the (lack of) trade-in with Tesla was sorted I got a VIN and delivery date within a couple of days. Delivery is scheduled for next week.

The trade in option is available for you to action when it's very close to delivery time. A lot of folks will say they lowball but my guess is that whatever they use to determine their offer value depends on the region. Me for example, Tesla was the highest offer. They offered 1.5k over what Carmax and Carvana offered. Tesla was in the midrange of the KBB value while Carmax was way below value.

Your ISA will let you know when it is a good time to start the trade in process started. It's valid for 1 week after their offer so this is the reason why they don't want you to start the process until delivery date is closer.

I'm supposed to pickup a CPO 2015 MS 70D this coming Saturday...

Reading all the comments on TMC around the CPO pickup experience has me concerned it's going to be more of a stressful day...

Curious what experience folks have had on delivery day with their trade-ins... mine is an older, high mileage Volt (e.g. 150k) and like what others have indicated- the offer is low but not worth fighting over... The last thing I want is to get nit-picked over condition, cosmetics etc. over a $2600 trade...

What is the processes TSLA uses at drop-off of a trade-in? It sounds like it's just a drop off then go to delivery- which sounds too good to be true- but I could see it due to the wholesale element of their trade-in strategy.

I’m doing a trade in. The process was super easy. In my case it’s a Jaguar and not a Tesla. I was actually shocked by the good offer I received. I had the car for sale on the Jag forum for only $3k more than they offered. I can’t respond about how the actual transaction goes but will let you know once my 3P is delivered! One other note, after I received and approved the offer- my sales person called and said they actually raised the offer. And that was verified on my Tesla account. So that was cool.

On my trade-in the offer was mid-rake of KBB (the rep mentioned thats the guideline they use). Took it to carmax and surprisingly got a nice offer. Took the appraisal to Tesla and they matched it. Tried selling private snd didn't see movement :(. In my case tesla trade-in worked out the best.