Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model S back in September. Prior to placing my order, I got an estimate on a trade in for my current (11 year old) car. It seemed reasonable, so I placed my order. Now that I am 10 days away from delivery, they gave me a new, firm offer - which was 33% lower than the original. While I understand there is some minor cosmetic issues (all fixable with a good detail), there are NO mechanical issues at all. I am very frustrated that the offer was so much below the original valuation I received from Tesla. I was upfront with them and told them about the car. Any car that is 11 years old will have minor dings in it.

My DS is telling me he can't do anything about it. This is very frustrating, and is negatively impacting my impression on how they are supporting me. Once I committed to the purchase, they no longer seem to care.

I ordered my Model S back in September. Prior to placing my order, I got an estimate on a trade in for my current (11 year old) car. It seemed reasonable, so I placed my order. Now that I am 10 days away from delivery, they gave me a new, firm offer - which was 33% lower than the original. While I understand there is some minor cosmetic issues (all fixable with a good detail), there are NO mechanical issues at all. I am very frustrated that the offer was so much below the original valuation I received from Tesla. I was upfront with them and told them about the car. Any car that is 11 years old will have minor dings in it.

My DS is telling me he can't do anything about it. This is very frustrating, and is negatively impacting my impression on how they are supporting me. Once I committed to the purchase, they no longer seem to care.

I'm told they can match Carmax quotes. I'd ask about that and give it a shot; I've had good luck with Carmax. Otherwise, just sell it privately if it's really worth 33% more than what Tesla quoted you. Seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks. No CarMax close to me. Trying some other avenues as well. Just frustrated that I have to deal with this now. Was planning on driving my old car to the delivery appointment and leaving it there, driving home in my new Model S.

33% seems like a huge % but that's dependant on the value and vehicle you are trading in, I cant imagine an 11 year old vehicle is in the 10's thousands unless it's a Ferrari, so the question for you would be assuming its only a grand or two is it worth your time to deal with this? Obviously, not knowing what vehicle you have and the price offered for trade in I can only speculate.

Was it inspected by their inspection service the first time around? Did you let their offer period expire?

Craigslist has worked really for me on my last 3 cars sold to private parties. Overall has been a way better experience than dealing with companies. Maybe with a couple of referrals it will make up the difference instead of trying to haggle with Craigslist buyers...

First, an 11 year old used car isn't worth much unless it's a rare specialty car.
Tesla only gives you a wholesale price for used cars since they don't have a used car lot like other dealers. Other dealers also just give you the wholesale price even if they are planning on reselling the car. Most of the time you can get a better price by selling a used car on Craig's list, etc. Some people have had good luck with CarMax but my experience has been that they lowball their offers. Consider any dealer trade-in as a "convenience" and don't expect top dollar. For an 11 year old car, the difference in price probably isn't great so you may just want to get rid of it (or donate it to charity).

First, an 11 year old used car isn't worth much unless it's a rare specialty car.
Tesla only gives you a wholesale price for used cars since they don't have a used car lot like other dealers. Other dealers also just give you the wholesale price even if they are planning on reselling the car. Most of the time you can get a better price by selling a used car on Craig's list, etc. Some people have had good luck with CarMax but my experience has been that they lowball their offers. Consider any dealer trade-in as a "convenience" and don't expect top dollar. For an 11 year old car, the difference in price probably isn't great so you may just want to get rid of it (or donate it to charity).

It depends on what you're trading in though.

KBB puts a 2004 Honda Civic DX at $980 trade-in but a 2004 Lexus LX470 at over $12k.

what is the make and model?

My DS just called me and found a buyer to get my back to my original quote. Not a lot of money, but it would make a difference in my overall buying experience. From original $3,000 offer, down to $2,000 seemed a bit excessive for a clean car. But now I'm a happy Tesla customer (soon to be owner) again.

My DS just called me and found a buyer to get my back to my original quote. Not a lot of money, but it would make a difference in my overall buying experience. From original $3,000 offer, down to $2,000 seemed a bit excessive for a clean car. But now I'm a happy Tesla customer (soon to be owner) again.
Glad it's working out for you.
From your original post I thought you were talking about more money but everything helps.

Holy **** that's awesome! My DS wouldn't even respond to emails. Glad to see the game is being stepped up.

I thought that Tesla just had a deal with CarMax who actually bought the car to give credit on your purchase. Should I go to both CarMax and Tesla for a quote?

When purchasing my Model S, I tried to trade in my old car (2002 MB SLK 32 AMG) and got a low offer from Tesla, a few months later I went to CarMax and received an even lower offer. They said that they don't sell older cars and would auction it off, hence the low ball offer. I didn't get the impression that Tesla went through CarMax, but rather dealt with the auction house directly. I eventually sold the car for a much better price privately at a Car & Coffee, since I didn't want to deal with the scammers on Craigslist.

Try trading a 2013 vw Touareg tdi in the midst of the scandal! Trade value on average two months ago was 40k. This week Value is 32-35k on various sites. Just got quote thru tesla at 23k. Apparently that is what the local market is pulling. My local VW dealer refused to take it at all.

You think you are getting screwed... try again. I am thinking of just holding onto it. Put it in storage for a while until dust settles and hope VW reimburses me somewhat for the loss of value, etc. Anybody got any other great ideas? Taking to Carmax tomorrow to see if they will try to screw me too.

Unfortunately feel a bit sleazy...signed up for the class action lawsuit...but what else can I do.

My DS just called me and found a buyer to get my back to my original quote. Not a lot of money, but it would make a difference in my overall buying experience. From original $3,000 offer, down to $2,000 seemed a bit excessive for a clean car. But now I'm a happy Tesla customer (soon to be owner) again.11

You must be kidding ... you were going to walk on a $1,000 difference?

Tesla is screwing with me on my trade in. I got a full appraisal done on my car on October 21st for $15,000, which I was happy with so I let my order confirm.

Now that we are closer to delivery they have reappraised my car today at $10,500. They didn't come back out to look at the car, they are going off of the previous appraisal but adjusting the mileage from 53k to 56k (2 months worth of my driving on the car).

Not sure what I am going to do right now. I am considering just letting them keep the car which is currently in production.