Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Friends.
I am trading in my 2014 Model S, with 33,000 miles, in great condition, needing tires soon.
This car has Tech Package, Air Suspension but no Pano and no driver assist as it was not out when I bought it, fabric seats, 19" wheels.
It is important I think that the car still charges to 255 miles and maybe more if it were balanced or whatever.
I observed the proper routine limits, rarely charging all the way unless going on a trip and then only hitting max right before leaving.
The car was appraised by the AIM third party appraiser with no consideration to the battery condition. The car was appraised as if an ICE.
Emphasis should be given to the battery, after all what is an EV without a good battery.
They are offering only $49,000 for my car, a disappointment indeed.
I am posting this, not as a lament but for a reference to fellows.
The new 2016 Model S will be mine March 3. Wow.
~Larry

Larry,
Take a look at the CPO consolidator listings for a valid comparison as to what Tesla pricing looks like after reconditioning.http://ev-cpo.com/
Here are a few similar examples, but yours has 50% more miles on the battery ...

CPO.PNG

Yes, doofen. Life is too complicated to do otherwise.
FlatSix, thanks for the chart.
~L

Larry,

I hate to say this, but I am not surprised and don't think it was too out of line. I bought my CPO in May 2015 in the $50s. It had pano + leather + premium lighting + dual chargers + a little less miles (31k). Put in some reconditioning premium, and $49k sounds about right about a year later. Going off 60% of new pricing on the options (that's what they use for the resale guarantee I believe), $2,500 + $1,500 + $0 (too tired to pull up dual charger pricing) would be about a $2,400 increase over the estimate they gave you and within a narrow expected profit on the CPO cars.

That said, 127574 will bring just as big of a grin to your face, so no worries and carry on!

Hello Friends.
I am trading in my 2014 Model S, with 33,000 miles, in great condition, needing tires soon.
This car has Tech Package, Air Suspension but no Pano and no driver assist as it was not out when I bought it, fabric seats, 19" wheels.
It is important I think that the car still charges to 255 miles and maybe more if it were balanced or whatever.
I observed the proper routine limits, rarely charging all the way unless going on a trip and then only hitting max right before leaving.
The car was appraised by the AIM third party appraiser with no consideration to the battery condition. The car was appraised as if an ICE.
Emphasis should be given to the battery, after all what is an EV without a good battery.
They are offering only $49,000 for my car, a disappointment indeed.
I am posting this, not as a lament but for a reference to fellows.
The new 2016 Model S will be mine March 3. Wow.
~Larry

As Cyclone pointed out the $49K trade in value seems quite fair for your car. They may actually have a hard time selling it without the pano roof and leather and when they do sell, they might end up eventually selling it for the mid $50Ks. Anything above that does not make sense when you could buy a loaded 2014 P85 for the mid to low $60Ks.

Tesla will barely make anything on reselling your car considering the warranty extension. You got a very fair trade in offer.

As Cyclone pointed out the $49K trade in value seems quite fair for your car. They may actually have a hard time selling it without the pano roof and leather and when they do sell, they might end up eventually selling it for the mid $50Ks. Anything above that does not make sense when you could buy a loaded 2014 P85 for the mid to low $60Ks.

Tesla will barely make anything on reselling your car considering the warranty extension. You got a very fair trade in offer.
I believe they do a standard 5K markup on whatever price they offer the seller

The displayed range cannot be used as some sort of health gauge of the battery-- it's not nearly accurate enough and not designed for that. You will get zero bonus for what your full charge range states. As you observed, they don't even check it, presumably because degradation is highly predictable and uniform based on mileage and varies little from car to car.

Thanks for passing your experience along and congrats on the new car, enjoy it!

Last edited:
Trading in to dealers always suck anyways... problem with a 50K car is it is hard to find a buyer with cash or capable of financing themselve.. It is still not a cheap car... but car is a car... is a depreciating good.

Private party sales always get you more money. In the case of Tesla, even selling to used car dealers often gets you more money than trading in to Tesla.

The only circumstances under which it seems financially beneficial to trade in is:
(a) your state has some sort of tax break for trade-ins
(b) you've got a complicated loan or lease situation where you can't straightforwardly buy a new car and sell the old car separately due to financing restrictions

I'm contemplating buying a used 7k mile, p85d, not CPO, but can't seem to find the VIN in the Ev-cpo or the Google doc to get the full detail of the build. The seller seems very trust worthy and only had the order sheet from Tesla. Any ideas on a way to get all the build codes by using the VIN? I tried to call Tesla service center by me, they wouldn't provide it since I couldn't prove ownership?

I'm contemplating buying a used 7k mile, p85d, not CPO, but can't seem to find the VIN in the Ev-cpo or the Google doc to get the full detail of the build. The seller seems very trust worthy and only had the order sheet from Tesla. Any ideas on a way to get all the build codes by using the VIN? I tried to call Tesla service center by me, they wouldn't provide it since I couldn't prove ownership?

Maybe call a different service center. I was looking at a private party sale and walked into our local SC today to ask if they could look up the VIN and tell me what was on the car when it was delivered. Gave me a printout that looks like a window sticker, with costs and everything.

Tesla has offered a new 90D with AP, TP, no pano, 19 " wheels, new interior options for a trade in of my 2013 85, 19K+ miles. I also have tilting side mirrors, rear cameras, They are offering a trade in price of $51,400. pending inspection. I have no idea if this a a good deal. Would love to get comments.

degradation is highly predictable and uniform based on mileage and varies little from car to car.

Accepting that the batteries seem to hold up well, it isn't that hard to find big differences in the average wh/mile records. A ham-fisted P85 driver, in cold climes, is going to cycle a battery a lot more than someone who hyper miles in California. I wouldn't be surprised if some cars with the same mileage were separated by almost 200wh/mile (maybe one 280, another 480, for example).